Primer not seated need some input

Scottkuy

Any thoughts hear would be a help loading Hornaday once fired brass the Winchester large rifle primers are proud of the base of the brass. I did change the shell holder from a rcbs to a hornaday number 1 thinking the holder was not tight on the brass. I do use a hand primer.
This problem is making the bolt hard to close when I force the bolt closed the primer seats very good

Attachments

• 9CF59983-9E14-432E-B61E-C81A4E4DD58C.jpeg
    9CF59983-9E14-432E-B61E-C81A4E4DD58C.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 359
  • A1960043-8A4E-49B1-9313-20E844515B02.jpeg
    A1960043-8A4E-49B1-9313-20E844515B02.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 271
Did you try reinserting and pressing harder. Usually a primer sitting that proud cannot be removed from the shell holder in the priming tool. If pressing harder did not move it in further you may have a 'tall' shell holder ie- the base may be a little tall and sanding off a bit may help. I would try a couple of other holders. On another note...if that is an S&B primer I find that they are slightly larger in diameter than all other makes and are difficult to seat in some new brass.

Did you try reinserting and pressing harder. Usually a primer sitting that proud cannot be removed from the shell holder in the priming tool. If pressing harder did not move it in further you may have a 'tall' shell holder ie- the base may be a little tall and sanding off a bit may help. I would try a couple of other holders. On another note...if that is an S&B primer I find that they are slightly larger in diameter than all other makes and are difficult to seat in some new brass.
I will Try removing some of the base Thanks

If you know the shell holder is not the problem it is short stop priming.
I used to get that with my old worn out hand priming tool.
I switched to an adjustable primer tool to stop that.
I bought the Frankford Arsenal Ultimate priming tool I think it is called.
There are many adjustable priming tools on the market and that will finish short stop priming.
If you have a friend that reloads try his priming tool and have him try his with your shell holder to see if there is a difference.
Old Rooster

A bolt won't seat a primer "very good": (1) you have headspace between the bolt face and case head, (2) a primer is properly seated just below flush with the head. The issue is probably your shell holder, if that's what made the difference.

Ignore my recommendations to sand off from the base. Since the index is the underside of the lip of the SH you should find a holder with less slop in the slot...that may help. My earlier suggestion will not.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.