Primer not seated need some input

For what it's worth, I've occasionally found primers that were oversized. I'm presently dealing with Nosler "custom brass" that takes a lot of effort to seat Federal 215M primers. In my case, it may be a matter of primers that are slightly oversized and primer pockets (new brass) that are slightly undersized. In your case, it's likely just oversized primers.

I just watched a video of the Lyman hand Primer tool and it's similar to RCBS.
It takes a standard shell holder so a taller shell holder should not fit.
I like the idea to check your case primer pocket for uniform pocket.
There is a tool to make the pocket uniform.Lyman has one too as I have one.
If that ok Catskill's point about an enlarged primer may be it but I have never had a Winchester primer not seat but anything can happen.
Old Rooster

not sure of the age and use of your lyman primer but I had one a few years back that I plum wore out and it started giving me fits I thought it was a good tool for the money but thousands of strokes took its toll

I had a similar problem with some Winchester Brass from once fired cases.
I found Remington primers would not seat with my Lee hand primer. I have a couple of worn ones but I don't think they seated anybetter on the Hornady press.

Without good measuring equipment I could not determine if they were oversize either height or width I could not tell accurately.
I found other brands seated properly so I shelved the Remington for use in others.

Maybe a harder primer has resistance making it hard to seat with a worn tool or maybe the primer pocket was not deep enough or marginally out of spec

FWIW a primer that is not seated at least flush will give you fits with measuring OAL to ogive; I have this problem sometimes with Nosler brass; have found I get more consistent measurements with a shell holder and my comparator.

FWIW a primer that is not seated at least flush will give you fits with measuring OAL to ogive; I have this problem sometimes with Nosler brass; have found I get more consistent measurements with a shell holder and my comparator.
Go back to your press and try seating the old fasion way when you fill it bottom out put a little uplift on the press handle a little harder than when you fell the primer start you should be able to stand the case on a good flat surface glass etc and the case should not wobble make sure
primer pockets are cleaned with appropiate tool if that works then you know your hand tool is the problem

Any thoughts hear would be a help loading Hornaday once fired brass the Winchester large rifle primers are proud of the base of the brass. I did change the shell holder from a rcbs to a hornaday number 1 thinking the holder was not tight on the brass. I do use a hand primer.
This problem is making the bolt hard to close when I force the bolt closed the primer seats very good
I think you didn't squeeze hard enough sticking out that much how did you get out of the shell holder with out taking your hand primer installer apart

I think you didn't squeeze hard enough sticking out that much how did you get out of the shell holder with out taking your hand primer installer apart
Maybe it was the wrong shell holder? Now that I read that the way you wrote it.

I know in my RCBS hand primer I've gotten more than one primer in the chute and still able to seat. A simple remedy could be using a primer as a "booster" for the rod.

I never used to have this problem, unless I was reloading brass with crimped primers. Military brass I had to chamfer the primer pockets. Now it seems like I run into this occasionally with commercial brass also. For years I used the Lee handprimers with no problems. Lately I've run into it with some commercial Federal /223 brass. Even some Winchester. Broke my Lee primer tool so I went with an RCBS bench priming tool. Sometimes I really have to lean into it, even after chamfering. Had a buddy that was having problems with 9mm brass (don't remember what brand) this summer. Now I'm reading others seem to be having this issue too. Maybe it's not all OUR fault. Or our equipment. Maybe we're seeing a relaxing in tolerances.??

Any thoughts hear would be a help loading Hornaday once fired brass the Winchester large rifle primers are proud of the base of the brass. I did change the shell holder from a rcbs to a hornaday number 1 thinking the holder was not tight on the brass. I do use a hand primer.
This problem is making the bolt hard to close when I force the bolt closed the primer seats very good
Your description says Hornady brass but the photo is S&B. I have used Hornady brass but not the S&B. Hornady has been fine just not as consistent and tough as my Lapua, decent though.

I would take a step back and measure depth of pocket and height of primer. If you don't have a caliper get one, even a Harbor Freight is better than nothing. You can also measure diameters. Anything really off will show up. Inspect the pockets for anything off.

Then try priming in the press with some leverage. You could try different brass and different primers.

Pop that proud primer and post some detailed photos of the pocket and the primer.

Let us know what you find.

I have had the same problem. cure was, k&w primer pocket uniformer and Lee bench priming tool, uses special shell holders. win primers are harder to seat than cci or fed, just a little. good luck to you

Just curious - I can measure depths of primer pockets with the tail of my calipers and have found Hornady brass to have a primer pocket depth of .123-.124: PPU's .123-.124: Win .124-.125.; all large primers/pockets. Depth variations appear to be minor.

I use a Lee press mounted priming tool with a standard #2 Lee shell holder and there is a .035" step-down slot to allow "proud" primed brass to be inserted/removed from shell holder. As this is press mounted tool, huge forces may be applied to seat primers and I take care not to squash primers as to flatten primer corner radii. Different amounts of force can be observed/felt upon seating primers depending on brass and primers but they can be all seated slightly below base of brass without squashing. No problems, except for when brass having primer crimps has not had the crimp adequately swaged out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.