Primer not seated need some input

I had a worse result recently with a batch of S&B 6.5 CM brass. They don't appear to have a primer crimp, but primer pocket GO/NO-GO gauges will not insert. Looking for a primer pocket reamer or uniformer (thanks for the suggestion above)

Any thoughts hear would be a help loading Hornaday once fired brass the Winchester large rifle primers are proud of the base of the brass. I did change the shell holder from a rcbs to a hornaday number 1 thinking the holder was not tight on the brass. I do use a hand primer.
This problem is making the bolt hard to close when I force the bolt closed the primer seats very good
My first question would be, which cartridge are you loading? That case looks small between your fingers. Just want to confirm that it's not 223 or 556

Any thoughts hear would be a help loading Hornaday once fired brass the Winchester large rifle primers are proud of the base of the brass. I did change the shell holder from a rcbs to a hornaday number 1 thinking the holder was not tight on the brass. I do use a hand primer.
This problem is making the bolt hard to close when I force the bolt closed the primer seats very good
Just to start with, I thought I read somewhere that Win had a primer problem not too long ago, you might check the lot # with them.

thats great you still need to determine whether it was the priming tool the brass or the primers causing your problem I have heard good things about that priming tool you should be happy with it good luck and I hope you figure out which of the three was causing the problem

Quick way to check primer pocket diameter and depth:

This is the second thread in recent weeks that deals with the same issue, primers not seating, weird. Never had any issues with primers not seating fully. If manufacturers are have QC problems there needs to be some investigating.

I've loaded thousands of Hornady brass with WLR primers (30-30, 270, 30-06, etc) and never had that issue. They should seat flush or slightly recessed. Using a RCBS hand primer I feel 2 resistances. If I stop at the first one, they look like that and are difficult to remove from the shell holder. I just increase the force a little until I feel the second seat.

I wet tumble brass, so the pockets are also very clean

As some one else said, the brass in the OP's photo is S&B, not Hornady.

I think we have an amazing forum of knowledgeable re-loader's that can come a persons aid and have this much knowledge to share.
Humble people that want to help others,thats what this country was built on helping others and I'm proud to be a small part of it.
I started reloading in 1967 and produced pretty good handloads by then standards but today I have become a much better reloader with the help from folks on this forum.
Thanks Len for having the best forum on the net!
Old Rooster

I never used to have this problem, unless I was reloading brass with crimped primers. Military brass I had to chamfer the primer pockets. Now it seems like I run into this occasionally with commercial brass also. For years I used the Lee handprimers with no problems. Lately I've run into it with some commercial Federal /223 brass. Even some Winchester. Broke my Lee primer tool so I went with an RCBS bench priming tool. Sometimes I really have to lean into it, even after chamfering. Had a buddy that was having problems with 9mm brass (don't remember what brand) this summer. Now I'm reading others seem to be having this issue too. Maybe it's not all OUR fault. Or our equipment. Maybe we're seeing a relaxing in tolerances.??
Interesting, I've only had problems in one lot of brass but it seems it happens and it might be the components not the people.
This is the second thread in recent weeks that deals with the same issue, primers not seating, weird. Never had any issues with primers not seating fully. If manufacturers are have QC problems there needs to be some investigating.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.