input wanted!!!

Not trying to change your mind, but a 7mm RM is not exactly a light recoiling round. Don't get me wrong it is not exactly punishing, I guess it depends on how recoil sensitive you are. Then again, you could always get a good Brake to tame it if you do not mind the extra noise and blast.

Gary

I'm not real sensitive, just don't want 300 mag recoil. I'm definitely not opposed to a muzzle break either. If I'm gonna get a break anyways should I go ahead and get a 300 win mag?

For shots inside of 500 yards on most "Big Game" a 7mag will more than get it done. For that matter a well tuned 7mag can get it done out to 1k pretty good. I admit that a 300WM might do it with a bit more authority, but at 500-ish Bang-Flop is Bang-Flop either way you send it.

Have a good one,
Gary

I feel like a 300 wm would just be overkill for the whitetails here in sc. And in my case I'm not sure if I'd benefit any with the 300 vs the 7mm mag

If you can use Berger Hunting VLD's then the good old 25-06 with the 115gr will straight up Hammer a white tail out to 600 yards. When I say Hammer I mean more than plenty of FPS and Ft.Lbs retained.

at 550 yards with a 25-06 shooting a Berger 115gr Hunting VLD at 3000fps you would be carrying about 2014 fps., and 1036 ft.lbs. energy.... which is MORE than plenty for a white tail. That is at about 800 ASL too by the way... so close to "worst" case scenario.

At 650 yards you would be at 1858 fps, and 881 ft.lbs energy. Which by most folks reckoning is still plenty for a white tail. The added benefit of the 25-06 would be downright mild recoil.

Not trying to talk you out of the 7mag but just pointing out for your stated purposes there are some mild recoiling alternatives. 6.5-284 shooting a 140gr bullet would also way more than get it done with pretty acceptable recoil levels.

Good Hunting sir,
Gary

The 257 has two advantages, flatter trajectory, and less recoil. The flatter trajectory can be an advantage if you have to shoot in the first few hundred yards at unknown ranges. Less recoil is always nice.

The 7's have a lot of advantages. Superb all around caliber, moderate recoil, great long range ballistics, MUCH LESS WIND DRIFT, 500 yards more maximum effective range, double the barrel life of the 257weatherby.....

The win mag is gonna offer more energy on target, better barrel life, and a bit more maximum effective range.

Of the three, I'd choose the 7 by a big margin. I've had great luck with the Senderos. I'd brake it. I just finished installing a brake on one.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just gonna get the sendero in 7mm rem mag. Figure that's a pretty safe bet. Ill probably get a muzzle brake just so I'll shoot better. Will I still need to pillar bed the stock since its a HS Precision? That along with a jewell trigger and zeiss scope and hopefully I'll be set until I can afford a true custom rifle.

Bump on the sendero. the HS stock has an aluminum bedding block so no pillars needed. I would still bedded it, a little devcon goes a really long way. Look on the net there are plenty of sights that tell you how to do it. One trick on the HS rough up the aluminum before bedding so the devcon doesn't flake off. If you are purchasing the gun new, try burnishing the X-Mark trigger that comes in the gun before you actually spend more money. If you like the trigger that's more money you have to spend on your Night Force :) you will need it!!

You sound like a perfect candidate for a 6.5x284. Everything you ask for it has and much more than the 257 WB. Also, it is gaining enormous popularity and if you ever have to sell it, there will be many buyers. It way outperforms a 257 wb in all categories including mild kick. Put a break on it and it's like a 22lr. sort of... Cheaper loading too.

2cents

You sound like a perfect candidate for a 6.5x284. Everything you ask for it has and much more than the 257 WB. Also, it is gaining enormous popularity and if you ever have to sell it, there will be many buyers. It way outperforms a 257 wb in all categories including mild kick. Put a break on it and it's like a 22lr. sort of... Cheaper loading too.

2cents

At this point I can't afford to reload so having a gun chambered for a wildcat caliber is kinda out of the picture. That was also the problem with the 257, factory ammo runs $70 a box. Once I finish college I plan on starting to reload as everyone tells me after the initial cost of setting up you save a good bit of money

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.