Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Optics

Re: Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Op

Actually, my favorite part is that Aaron makes a great system that works and my action happens to be part of it. There are also other parts that are just as important. Without everything being right from the barrel to the bullet/load, the deal just doesnt work. We have lots of OEMS with our actions on them and even more custom builders that use them. Some build guns for $1800, some for $8000. I like all of them as customers and most of their guns are great performers too. Some publicly admit they are ours, others dont. Two or three of them are premier builders, others are just smaller or regional. Aaron is one of the few that does the job complete end to end for the buyer that would rather spend the money then the time to make it all work together. For the price the guy was talking, this seems like a pretty good fit at a lower dollar then he wants to spend and get a great product for his trouble. For his set of specs and the way his post read, I thought this information may be helpful. This isnt to say that Jim Borden, Dakota Arms, Dave Tooley, Mark Bansner, George Gardner, Kirby Allen or any of the other well known guys can't do the job just as well in the end. By the way, lots of them use their own actions or someone elses, but I still dont hesitate to recommend them or give them credit where it is due.

Re: Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Op

IF YOU WANT AN ALL AROUND RIFLE FOR HUNTING AND FOR VARMINTS, I RECOMMEND A 270 WSM OR JUST A PLAIN 270 .MY SON HAS TAKEN EVERY THING FROM ELK TO MOOSE WITH HIS 270, INCLUDING BLACK BEAR OUT TO THE 3-400 YARD MARK,ALL WERE A ONE SHOT KILL. i , MY SELF HAVE HUNTED FOR 35 YEARS USINF A 30/06 WITH NO PROBLEM. IT IS A VERY VERSITILE RIFLE AS YOU HAVE A GREAT RANGE OF BULLETS TO CHOOSE FROM.

I bet it is an awesome combo as is the action I am sure. I have one of their scopes and I really like it. I shot it beside my Nightforce the last couple of weeks. It would be great to have a turnkey system for sure. A lot of time goes into everything no doubt. For what the guy is looking to spend he could have 4k left over. Those guys can sure shoot them on TV, it's amazing what they do. I certainly wouldn't want just one gun , however.
Take care,
Brad

I certainly wouldn't want just one gun , however.
Take care,
Brad

I couldnt agree more. Everyone NEEDS at least a handful, if not a safe full of guns. I lost count on mine when it hit 3 digits. :D I have started to enjoy the high end gas guns too. When built right, they can dang well shoot. I may not take them to a benchrest match, but for varminting they are a blast.

Hi, I am new to these forums, so mods please move this to another section if this is not the appropriate place to post this.

~ Hello and welcome to LRH :) ~

I do not shoot enough any more to justify having a battery of rifles around the house, so will have to be condensing to just one rifle. The upside is that since I will only have one rifle, I can justify spending a lot more on it than I normally would.

I am planning on using this rifle to hunt all North American game animals. Primarily boar/pig, deer, sheep, elk, moose. However, I would like the flexibility to pick off coyotes and other animals if I have the opportunity. Essentially it needs to be light enough to tote around the mountains all day, but solid enough for long shots on elk and versatile enough with loads/bullet weights to hunt varmints to moose.

~ You said "all North American game animals" but didn't mention the big Alaskan Brown Bears. Also, you didn't say what your def of "long shots" was, and what weight is light enough for you to carry around in the mountains all day.

I have to agree with a lot that has ben posted already. I'll be glad to give you my two cents, but I'm not you so your preferences might be different. If I had just one rifle, it would be a 300 or 7mm RUM in a barrel contour and stock package similar to the Rem Sendero (which I do own). The rifle weighs 8 1/2 pounds and is (will be) topped with a 2 lb NF and I will carry it all day in the mountains and plains of Montana. I say that because that rifle is good for 1K plus shots on elk. If I limited my shots to shorter than 1K shots I would go with a 300 WSM in a slightly lighter barrel contour. The .06 is a good cartridge but I would pick the 300 WSM (and a few others) over it. ~

I have a budget of $10k +/- $2k for both the rifle and the scope and I wanted to get your input on what setup you would put together (e.g., action, barrel, caliber, stock, scope, gunsmith, custom touches, etc.). I know most of you have a lot more trigger time than I do, so all input is welcome.

~ I agree with others... you can get two well made customs and NF scopes for $10K or maybe a little more. I would always want a backup rifle. You can always spend $8K on a fine custom rifle but how much of a better performer will it be than a $3K custom?~

Here's what I am currently thinking:

Action: Borden Rimrock (would appreciate thoughts on this vs. Nesika vs. Stiller Predator and others)

Trigger: Jewell set to 2.5 lbs.

Barrel: 24" Lilja in .30-06, number 3 contour

~ There are a lot of good barrel makers and Lilja would also be my first pick. As I already said, my preference would be something a little longer and heavier. A 26" #5 flutted would weigh about 1/2 lb more than a 24" #3 non-flutted. On cartridges for an all around NA rifle, my choices would include 300 RUM, 300 WSM, 300 Dakota, 7mm RUM, 7mm Dakota and 7mm WSM. ~

Stock: Gary Goudy (not sure on wood, so suggestions here would be great) with blind magazine

~I dont know much about Gary Goudy Stocks, but If I was going to get a wood stock I would get one by Joel Russo. But I would just cringe at the idea of carrying a beautiful wood stock while hunting, especially in the mountains. A good synthetic will probably be a little lighter too. For me, when it comes to a LR hunting rifle, I will pick function over aesthetics, like taking the weight out of the barrel and putting it into the barrel. If I had a dedicated varmit/bench rifle I would love to have a Russo stock on it. ~

Gunsmith: Not sure if Borden Rifles would put everything together for me. If not, who would you suggest?

~ There are a lot of good smiths here in the LRH forums. I would be very pleased to have any of them build a rifle for me. ~

Custom Touches: Three-position safety

Scope: Zeiss Victory Varipoint 2.5-10 X 42

~ Great scope choice, but I cast my vote for Nightforce. IMHO, for less $$$, you get a lot more scope with the NSX 2 1/2 - 10 x 32, including target turrets. ~

Thanks for your help with this!

Have fun with your new build and good shooting and hunting :)

Last edited:

Essentially it needs to be light enough to tote around the mountains all day, but solid enough for long shots on elk and versatile enough with loads/bullet weights to hunt varmints to moose.

Thanks for your help with this!

Light enough to tote around the mountains all day means no more than ~8 1/2 - 9 lbs completely outfitted, unless you're on steroids.

How many yards is "long shots"? I'd be leaning toward 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag, but if long shots means ~600 yds or less the '06 should be fine. If long shot means more than ~650-700 yds, then go 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag. If you took moose off the list, the 7mm WSM or 7mm Rem Mag would be equally good.

For $10-12K, you can build it sparing no expense. You'll just have to use a lighter action, barrel contour, and other materials to keep it a lightweight carry rifle, compared to what the dedicated long range guys build to ambush their game on the opposing mountain side.

Wow, thanks for all of the great input so far! It is very helpful. I wish I had found this forum years ago.

RE: types of game to be hunted. I am not interested in going after the brown or black bears and plan to hunt primarily pigs, dear, elk and moose.

RE: long range. For me, a 500 - 600 m shot is the longest range at which I would consider shooting an animal. I do not have the skills many of you do to try for something at 700+ m.

What's funny is that my original plan was to build up a three gun battery consisting of a .204 ruger, .308 and .338 Win Mag. Then I thought this was getting too complicated and expensive so was trying to simplify. For some reason, I had not even considered a two-gun combo. I will have to think about this some more as I think everyone has a valid point on redundancy and flexibility.

Except for when I was a boy, I have always shot synthetics. I was thinking now was the time for a nice piece of wood. However, you all are correct and I would probably feel bad banging up a $5k stock in the back country so will stick to synthetics.

Any stock recommendations for a Model 70? Stay with the McMillan Edge everyone seems to be raving about or go with an Echols Legend stock or something similar?

Appreciate all of your help!

Hi Gehrm, thought maybe you were a one post wonder :D

A 2 gun battery would be great, how about a .243 Win and 300WSM? Both would be short actions and would be able to feel the same etc. This combo would be sufficient for everything from Prairie Dogs to Moose.

I can't comment on the Echols stocks, I'm sure they are great. I can say that the McMillan stocks are absolutely excellent.

AJ

I basically agree with AJ. A 243 and 300 WSM would make a good 2 gun battery. But if it was me, I would probably choose a 270 WSM over the 243 It owuld be over kill for varmits but I think would make a better backup to the 300 WSM at ranges up to 600 yds.

For a light and accurate rifle to 600 yds I would go with a 24" #4 flutted. I think a pilar bedded McMillan stock would be a great choice and maybe Russo wood stock for the backup/varmiter.

-MR

I really liked the idea of building matching guns so they would feel the same while shooting. Kinda like the guy did that built matching 6.5x47lapuas to match his brother and his 338 edge rifles.

I'll never own only one gun, but if all I had to hunt everything was a Gunworks 7mm Rem Mag, I think I could be a happy man. It is over priced and I'm sure I'll never afford one, but having everything show up ready to go would be nice. For the criteria you posted though a stock Remington 700 BDL with a trigger and bedding job in 30-06 would work. You might even have a high grade barrel installed if you desired. You could spend 15 hundres on the rifle and buy the scope of your dreams with enough left over to shoot for an eternity.

A lot of good suggestions by all.!!!

My recommendation would be the same as most. = Two matching rifles in different calibers.
because it is very hard to have "ONE" rifle that will do it all with out over kill on some game
and marginally enough on others.

If you wanted a pair of long action rifles that would work for the game you mentioned I
would look at the 280 rem for the bullets selection 90 grs to 160grs for deer and down.

The 300 RUM or the 338 RUM would handle the big stuff.

If you wanted a pair of short action rifles a 260rem would cover ever thing from deer down
very well and a 300 or even the 325 WSM would take care of the rest. (The 325 WSM is
very close to the 338 Win Mag but in a short action).

If you the same type action, stock, barrel contour, barrel length, scope and mounting system
the only thing you would have to watch for is getting the wrong ammo and not realizing it
until you got to your hunting destination.

If you put a brake on the larger caliber rifle recoil would be about the same also.

It would be neat to have a pair of matching rifles and $5,000.00 each would build a fine pare
of rifle and scope combinations.

J E CUSTOM

I have a Remington 700 BDL 30-06 with a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X in my safe that I got from my parents for 8th grade graduation. I hunted everything with this rifle for about 8 or 9 years and could go back to it today if I wanted to. If I was going to go for broke and have one rifle for all of the types of hunting I do or think I would do, it would probably be Shawn Carlock's Sheep Hunter or Long Range Hunter in 7 WSM with a Leupold Mark 4. Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.