Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Optics

Re: Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Op

+1.....

A lot of good suggestions by all.!!!

My recommendation would be the same as most. = Two matching rifles in different calibers.
because it is very hard to have "ONE" rifle that will do it all with out over kill on some game
and marginally enough on others.

If you wanted a pair of long action rifles that would work for the game you mentioned I
would look at the 280 rem for the bullets selection 90 grs to 160grs for deer and down.

The 300 RUM or the 338 RUM would handle the big stuff.

If you wanted a pair of short action rifles a 260rem would cover ever thing from deer down
very well and a 300 or even the 325 WSM would take care of the rest. (The 325 WSM is
very close to the 338 Win Mag but in a short action).

If you the same type action, stock, barrel contour, barrel length, scope and mounting system
the only thing you would have to watch for is getting the wrong ammo and not realizing it
until you got to your hunting destination.

If you put a brake on the larger caliber rifle recoil would be about the same also.

It would be neat to have a pair of matching rifles and $5,000.00 each would build a fine pare
of rifle and scope combinations.

Re: Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Op

I kinda did this last fall. My big long range cannons get heavier every year so I looked at other options and shortenned my range to 650 or so yards. I wanted a light, easy/quick handling all purpose rifle to do it all. Would handle a wide range of bullets and have long barrel life. Ability to take all of Wyomings big game out to 650 or so yards and be a good rifle to poke a coyote. An inherently accurate round that did not require a muzzle brake to be shot effectively at long range. Quick shots with a brake blow your eardrums out when no time to put in earplugs.

I put together a 300wsm with a 24 1/2 inch barrel and scoped it out with a 3-10 mil dot scope. It weighs just over 7 pounds scoped out. It shoots one hole groups at 100 yards with 150 E-tips at 3419 fps. With a .469 BC they do very well out to my 650 yard goal and the etips hold together to kill anything within that range. When a bullet holds together 95% of its weight it kills like a heavier bullet.

There are many choices and I can think of dozens but I am happy with this rifle and it is probably about as good as any. I have many wildcats off the 280 and 30-06 case that have similar velocities but one of my criteria was easily available ammo when on a remote hunting trip. So I chose the 300 wsm. I can shoot this one bullet/one load setup for anything in Wyoming from coyotes to moose.

I appreciate everyone's advice on this project. Your input has caused me to rethink my strategy and look at creating a matched pair of rifles in a 6mm / .300 WSM type combination. I will have to look more at all of the ballistics to decide on the final calibers, but this is an excellent idea that many of your raised.

I truly wish I had found this forum years ago since I have gotten really great advice even though it was my first post.

Thanks for sharing your insights with me!

A good combo would also be a 325wsm (or a 338wsm), and a 6.5mm wsm.

The 325 is very effective on pretty much all the bigger game on this continent, I have both a 300wsm and a 325wsm and you can tell the difference when you hit a moose with the bigger diameter bullet. Of course the 300 will take over in energy after about 275-350yards depending on bullet.

And the 6.5 could do double duty as a varmint rifle as well as a rifle for the non-dangerous big game. The 6.5 would also serve well as a long range rig, as the 6.5 has some pretty good ballistics.

If I were in your shoes I'd build myself a matched pair of rifles chambered in 260 Rem and 300 WSM. I'd build them in the 7 lb range + optics and top them with the Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS NPR2 and zero stops. You could go anywhere and shoot anything with this combo and fit them both into a custom fit Pelican case. I like the idea so much I might build myself a set :).

If I had $10K to spend on just one gun it would be the GunWerks LR-1000 system with Huskemaw scope in 7mm Rem Mag.

I would spend the remaining $4K on a trip or two to Alberta.

+1..........

If I were in your shoes I'd build myself a matched pair of rifles chambered in 260 Rem and 300 WSM. I'd build them in the 7 lb range + optics and top them with the Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS NPR2 and zero stops. You could go anywhere and shoot anything with this combo and fit them both into a custom fit Pelican case. I like the idea so much I might build myself a set :).

Good Luck on your build!

-X3M

Last edited:

I've read the comments. They certainly have merit. Calibers, well, that's something to fight over. For my nickel, my advice would be for you to buy a Blaser R-93 rifle. You have your pick of calibers - magnum or standard, on the same platform. I have hunted in different countries, let alone states. Rule number one is to have your rifle meet you upon arrival. I've been to Africa a number of times and seen "pain" in the eyes of hunters who did not get their gun upon arrival. Seen it at Yellowknife and Texas. Sometimes I think the airlines go out of their way to ruin a guy. With a Blaser, the rifle breaks down into a nice package and goes into the bottom of your duffle. It doesn't look like a rifle box, so it goes un-noticed through the terminals. Blasers' are very accurate rifles. I have not been disappointed.

Well not to sound like a smart AXX but if I was spending 10K on a rifle I would by one of the 1000yrd Best of the West shooting systems which would kill about 6.5K to 7K. and then go buy me a 243 for my yote hutting. Then I would take the other 1k and buy alot of ammo for the 243 and get the some of the BEST OF THE WEST AMMO for the 7mm. Ok I like the 7mmRmag. If any thing is left which there would be I would go to a professional shooting class. This is just my 2 cents. :D

Well not to sound like a smart AXX but if I was spending 10K on a rifle I would by one of the 1000yrd Best of the West shooting systems which would kill about 6.5K to 7K. and then go buy me a 243 for my yote hutting. Then I would take the other 1k and buy alot of ammo for the 243 and get the some of the BEST OF THE WEST AMMO for the 7mm. Ok I like the 7mmRmag. If any thing is left which there would be I would go to a professional shooting class. This is just my 2 cents. :D

Actually for 10K you can get a reputable gunsmith (many on this site) to build you two rifles just like the ones from "The Best of the West", (a long range one and a short range one) for less money and if you don't handload you could buy top of the line reloading equipment and turn out loads as good or better to the ones from "BOTW" and then use the rest of the money to pay for a few hunting trips. Also join a club and go shoot F-Class matches, you can learn alot there and meet alot of knowledgeble people, no need for a professional shooting class.

Just my $0.02

-X3M

Em, one rifle eh? Well there is only one answer for you. Now you said, "one rifle for EVERYTHING in NORTH AMERICA". North America is one big place and the types of game encountered goes from bunney wabbits, to polar bears and huge Alaska Grizz. When you show up with a 340 mag in Alaska, and you are going after coastal grizz, it kinda makes some guides feel a little concerned, they would much rather have you packing a 375H&H. Now before we go too much further a 375 H&H is not going to have the recoil that everybody talks about that has never shot one.
The powder loads are very similar to a 300 Weatherby Mag in the 375, only diff is the bullet dia and bullet weight you can shoot. Your first thought is too much gun for North America. I can assure you it is not too much gun. When you want to go for mule deer, moose, elk white tail. You load up your ouch&ouch with a 235grain bullet and 70gr of H4350 and you have a tame MV of 2715fps with much less meat damage than if you had shot the same game with a 300 Weatherby. If you ever decide to go after D.G. in Alaska or Africa you load up the old ouch&ouch with 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw SP and 81gr of H414 and you can harvest anything that walks on planet earth. The old ouch&ouch is a very good caliber. You can load er up and reach out and touch an elk at long, long range and still have the MV and energy to make a clean one shot kill.
Next question is which gun? Take a look at the CZ550 African Safari. They are accurate, hold 5 rounds, has controled round feeding, a 25inch barrel, not a lot of recoil because of design, and the best thing is they do not cost an arm and a leg. The CZ550 is the weapon of choice for more guides in Africa than any other brand. That has to tell you something. I am going to purchase one this November, I live and hunt in north centeral interior of B.C. Canada. I normaly carry a 308 Norma or a 300 Weatherby. I can hardly wait to get my hands on the CZ550 in 375H&H.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

i wouldnt say that a .340 is light for Grizz. in fact Im pretty sure that the .340 has more energy at any range that the 375 HH simply due to greater velocity (dependant on bullet wight of course). But that being said, I think I would rather shoot a 375 for Grizz anyway simply because greater frontal area. The old "ouch and ouch" is one heck of a game getter.

One rifle. I don't like that thought but I have no doubt that if I were restricted to that it would be one of 2 calibers. 375 H&H or 375WBY. I would much rather have too much lead for the smaller game on my list than not enough for the big game on that same list. With your budget I would strongly suggest a 6.5 or 7mm, not necessarily a magnum but something with some poop to it, and a 338 to 375 of some kind. Have them built in tandem and make the switch between the 2 as natural as possible. Just make sure that the ammo for them do not chamber in each other and a visual clue like a different color stock would be good too. These are just my opinion given the budget you have suggested.

Order Len's demo 243ai, and a 300 wsm or 338 edge Buy one of his scopes and swap it between rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.