Need Input on Build

jhharmon

I just bought a 30-06 Remington 700. I want to convert to a 308 long Range gun. I will probably only be shooting out to 500yds or so, and I have a budget of about $700 (for now). I do not plan on handloading at this time.

What kind/length of barrel should I go with? Can anyone give any info on the "PSS LTR barrels;" are the good for $150 or not? (they have 3 on gunbroker right now)

What kind of trigger should I go with?

Will anything else need to be done to the action or bolt?

Recommendations on stocks.

Welcome to LRH. First, why not stick with the 30-06? It is a good long range caliber. As for the PSS barrels, you always take a chance at purchasing factory tubes. Some shoot well, others are being sold for a reason. I would use that $700 and use some to get a good aftermarket barrel. You can buy Factory reproduction barrels from barrel makers at a pretty good price. Look up Sin-Arms.com. He sells some very good barrels for $275. Another option would be a Shilen match barrel or even a blank from midwayusa.com. These are much better alternatives to the factory barrels people are selling. Can't go wrong with a Choate or Bell and Carlson for a budget minded build. There are some very nice stocks for sale at Stockysstocks.com for most Remington models. As far as the trigger, you don't have to purchase a new one. There are some pretty good instructions online how to adjust it your self. If you don't feel confident in doing it your self, then take it to a good gun smith and have him make the adjustments. Remmy triggers can be adjusted very crisp and clean. There are some other sites online that elude me right now that offer some other barrel makers. You can buy Kreiger or Brux on some sights. If your Remmy has a wood or laminate stock, just have pillars put in and have it glass bedded.

As an avid shooter of the .308 Winny, I suggest a 1:12 twist. It will handle most of the factory stuff to include match ammo produced. If you want to shoot heavies, then a 1:10 twist would be the better option. If you want velocity, a 30" max in length would be the ticket. If you want something you can carry and plan to sit some, then a 26" would be the ticket. If you want to do a lot of walking and have easy handling characteristics, then the 24" is the best option. If you can find a barrel with 11.25 twist, then that would be the best do all for the .308. Make sure you get good glass for your rifle.

As you will need a lathe to headspace the new barrel, talk to your gunsmith and see what he suggests.

Tank

Like Tank said, don't gamble on a facotry 308 barrel vs the 30-06 you already have.

I'd shoot the 30-06 a while and spend money on optics, trigger, stock, bedding, etc which will all be useful if/when you decide to rebarrel with a good aftermarket barrel.

-- richard

Thanks for the input. I already have a scope i am going to use, so thats not figured into the $700. I found a Bell &Carlson stock that i like, but had some questions:

One says BBC and other DBM. What does that mean?

Also it says it is for a 700 BDL, and mine is an ADL. Is the only difference the magazines?

Thanks again for all the input.

Functionally wise, it will work fine though?
It'll work fine. You'll also appreciate the long action when seating longer heavier bullets. To seat some of the Berger VLD bullets in a .308, you have to seat them pretty deep to fit in a short action magazine. So it's not a disadvantage when using a long action for a .308.

BBC is a blind box magazine which is the ADL. DBM is detachable box magazine which is what you would convert the drop plate of the BDL too. You can convert the ADL to a DBM with the proper bottom metal (i.e. the metal that use the trigger gaurd, and has either the drop plate attached or the mechanism for the magazine).

Tank

Thanks again for the info, tank! The site you listed for barrels (sin-arms.com) only showed stuff for savages. Do you know of another good site for barrels? I found on stockysstocks, that bell & carlson makes a detachable box mag conversion kit for $240. Do you know of a cheaper option?

Thanks again for the info, tank! The site you listed for barrels (sin-arms.com) only showed stuff for savages. Do you know of another good site for barrels? I found on stockysstocks, that bell & carlson makes a detachable box mag conversion kit for $240. Do you know of a cheaper option?

I can't really help you with the Remington set ups. I just build Savages. Midway USA carries barrels for Remington's. They sell Brux, Shilen, E.R. Shaw, and one other, but can't think of it just now. There are some other sites. Hopefully a Remmy fan can chime in.

If you don't see what you want on Midway, you can order pre-chambered Rem 700 barrels from Shilen.

Of course, the barrel nut design of the Savages makes it easy for individuals to set their headspace. Whereas, a Rem 700 usually requires either a lathe and/or a finish reamer to get headspace setup unless ...you're just feeling lucky.

-- richard

Hello,

Thats funny you should mention that build because i am doing the exact build right now on my remington 30-06 BDL. I am converting it to a .308 win on a LA with a H-S Precision stock with a mercury recoil reducer in it along with a #7 PAC-NOR supermatch fluted barrel 1:10 twist 22" and a trigger job on the factory trigger. I went round and round (no pun intended) with either sticking with a 30-06 which is a great round or converting it to a 308 which is also a great round. I went with the 308 because it will be less expensive to shoot and I found way more load data for it compared to the 30-06. I looked into converting the BDL to DBM and the only thing that will work I think is going with the BDM from H-S precision in 30-06. I have tried a 308 case in a 300 win mag magazine and it was to loose. I could bend the ears a little on the mag but not sure it would fix it. I also replace the stock lug with a David Tubbs recoil lug and going to bed the stock. Any ways have fun with the your projectgun)

Ok guys, I may be changing directions here. I am considering selling the Remington and buying a Savage 12 FVSS in 308, and then just getting a better stock for it. The price from the gunsmiths on all the labor is much higher than I expected. Can anyone give any input on the 12 FVSS? Thanks again for all of the input.

I agree with the others that recommended staying with the .30-06 chambering you have. You may be better off spending your money on ammo and practice until you are convinced that the rifle is limiting the combined performance of you and the rifle. Later, if you begin reloading, consider having your rifle rechambered to .30-06 Ackley Improved. You will get a bit more muzzle velocity without a lot more powder. That's my $.02.

Criterion barrels, buttoned rifled Kriegers, now sell pre chambered and threaded barrels through northland shooters supply. Northland also sales a savage style barrel nut so you can do your own head spacing just like savage owners do and not have to pay a gunsmith. I suggest calling Jim at 763/682-4296 and asking about his Remington barrels. I also suggest getting a bell and Carlson m40 medalist stock for the new build, I love mine. Barrel-320 with shipping and nut. Stock 230 with shipping, take this to a gunsmith and have him put it together and skim bed it and you will have a tack driver for less than 700 including gun smith fees.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.