.300 Savage Build (Need Help)

DirtySouth85

I've been lurking for a while, but have finally decided what to build... I think.

I found @ Dick's a Savage 111 .300win for $350. No Accustock, No Accutrigger and hinged floorplate.

I want to take that rifle and build a sure enough shooter out of it. My plans are to put a pac-nor barrel, not sure what # yet though. I will be hunting with this, Whitetail and hopefully elk in the next year or two. What # is a good accurate light to medium weight barrel?

And a Rifle Basix trigger, whatever ya'll suggest. And I've noticed a little trouble finding a stock for the 111 Long Action? Any suggestions?

I am and experienced hunter and shooter. But I also plan to load my own bullets with some help from my uncle who is a pro at it. Thanks ahead of time and have mercy, I've never built a rifle before.

what ever else you accomplish, enjoy what you are doing. I see in the question that you mention a 300Sav and then the 300 win. I am sure you must be thinking 300win as the caliber?
The barrel choices are so many. I have used lots and very often now days I get the brand that is available the soonest. I have had excellent results in both competition builds and long range hunting builds with Mcgowen precision. And I can ususally get a barrel in about a month or so. I have found the contour pages help with the weight- kind of figure how much weight you are willing to carry. You will already know that more weight helps to dampen recoil. I have had excellent results with the rifle basix trigger and also really like the Sharp Shooter Supply trigger.
Have you looked at stocks from Stockys Stocks. He very often has a good selection on hand from HS Precision, Bell and Carlson and others. I have often been able to get one from them in a couple of days. I have recently had an excellent stock delivered by Idaho Armory- more a prone type stock. pretty heavy but they make one for Savage actions. It is machined from aluminum and has a variety of interchangeable parts. I am setting mine up for f class but, in the back of my mind, it will shoot some antelope next fall as well. Might not be a carry gun stock, or not a carry very far stock but I love mine and it was less than a week to delivery.
Again, enjoy the process, and enjoy the learning too! great guys on this forum who will give better advice than me..

Re: .300 win Build (Need Help)

I should have clarified, it's a .300win build on a Savage Action. I am looking for a pre threaded barrel so the cost is less when having someone put it on and headspace it for me. Does McGowan Make pre threads?

If I were to do it myself, how hard is it to install a pre threaded barrel on a savage action... OR actually how hard is headspacing it?

Re: .300 win Build (Need Help)

I should have clarified, it's a .300win build on a Savage Action. I am looking for a pre threaded barrel so the cost is less when having someone put it on and headspace it for me. Does McGowan Make pre threads?

If I were to do it myself, how hard is it to install a pre threaded barrel on a savage action... OR actually how hard is headspacing it?

Easy Easy Easy.
Fun. Fun. Fun.

Get a few tools (that will last forever) and you'll be set for any barrel swap you ever intend to do.

Also, Don't sell the stock barrel short. Most Savage barrels will shoot just fine if you reload for them.

AJ

Yes McGowen does make dropins for Savage actions. You can even have a very nice muzzle brake installed by them at the same time. I would mention that I have often been able to buy a Kreiger from stock at Brunos in Phoenix. They are always a heavy contour, but sometimes a med or light palma contour is appropriate for a long range rifle build. Its always worth checking if you are in a hurry. The same is true of Sinclair International- they stock some Krieger barrels- again target type contours. Of course Midway USA stocks some barrels as well, or used to. I have not looked there for some time. Another thought on a stock, I recently had a couple of my rifles equipped with a Manners composite stock. I think I saw somewhere that someone was keeping some on hand. They make an excellent, light stock for long range/prone , hunting and shooting.

I've heard alot about how accurate the Savage barrels are. I own a 110 .243 and it shoots great. Should I wait on buying a barrel and just buy the stock, trigger and scope?

AJ, What tools do I need? What is a "go, no go tool"?

Also, what is a good scope mount for a Savage
(Picatinny). Scope will be a NF and I plan on shooting to 1000yds, and 100yds.

Bob, while looking at the Manners stocks, I'm looking at the hunting stocks. Are they bedded or do you bed them yourself. I bedded my 700 so I'm familiar with it. I used devcon to bed my 700, that stuff is expensive! Any other putty I can use other than devcon?

you can tell I have too much time on my hands right this second. It would be good to ask yourself how much you want to get into. Its so much fun that its addicting to mess with barrels and stocks and triggers. But if you are not going to do more than one- just as well pay a gunsmith to headspace a barrel. But if you plan on easing into this. get a barrel vise, a savage barrel wrench, perhaps an action wrench. These are all available at Midway, Brownells and other places. There are utube videos of headspacing I believe and I know I have seen excellent explanations on other forums and perhaps here. Essentially you dismount the old barrel by looseing the "jam"nut using the wrench. you reverse the process by screwing a new barrel into place to the spot where you feel the go guage against the bolt when you close it, but you can close it. You tighten to that spot and check that the bolt wont close with the no go guage. These guages are available from pacific tool and gauge, or again midway, forester, clymer and perhaps other places. they cost about 30$ each, or 60 or so a set. And you buy the set for the calibers you will be headspacing, or perhaps share some guages with others who are suffering from the same foolishness.

Bob, while looking at the Manners stocks, I'm looking at the hunting stocks. Are they bedded or do you bed them yourself. I bedded my 700 so I'm familiar with it. I used devcon to bed my 700, that stuff is expensive! Any other putty I can use other than devcon?
I use devcon right now myself, but I have used with excellent results the ScoreHigh bedding kits. I am not sure about difference in cost. The manners come with a bedding block and you can buy them with pre glued pillars. Then bed to that complex. They will of course do it for you. I think you would really like dealing with the guys at Manners. They have a good website too for exploring what they have. I will tell you I have to leave for a trip, I will check this thread when I have a chance- i will be interested to see what other advice comes in on some of these questions. you can of course pm me if that is helpful at some point. I wont be ignoring this thread, just unavailable till about Saturday.

You asked about tools and which scope mount.

A go-gauge looks like a stainless steel cartridge (with no neck) that is made to the standard chamber dimensions. It will chamber in a properly head=spaced firearm. A no-go gauge looks the same, but is longer, so it won't chamber in a properly head-spaced firearm. You don't really need a no-go gauge to install a barrel, as long as you have a go-gauge. You can put a piece of scotch tape on the head of the go-gauge and it should be really tight to close. It shouldn't chamber with 2 pieces of scotch tape on the head. Just a cheaper way to do the same thing as having both gauges.

Get a Barrel nut wrench and an action wrench to swap the barrels.

Scope mounts.:

I have a Savage in 338Edge that wears a Nightforce 3.5x15x50 NXS scope. I use a DedNutz one piece mount and it works great, only $55 or so and is lightweight. Here is a picture.

338EdgeSavage.jpg

Hope this helps,
AJ

Ok AJ, Thanks man. Ya'll have been alot of help, and quick to respond. I really appreciate that.

I looked at the Manner stocks and they are a bit expensive. I have no problem paying for them, but if there is something that is compareable for a better price I'd like to maybe go that route. I saw the b&c stocks but this 111 model has the hinged floorplate, and I didn't see one that fit for a hinged floorplate. Anyways, any suggestions would be great.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.