New info on Chronic Wasting Disease

Lenny Foffa you have to take your deer to a Game&Fish game station or bring it to the Game&Fish office and they do the testing.
They let you know if the deer or elk is ok to eat or not.
People that I have personally talked to said the deer they shot looked ok but smelled bad.They used gloves(everyone should use gloves).When they gutted it it smelled way different from past gutting.
Our Game&Fish said to keep hunting as it regulates the healthy deer heards from the sickly.
If the deer you shot has froth around their mouth,skinny or otherwise looks unnatural have it tested before eating it.
Edit to add:The deer and elk I have had tested didn't cost me anything.
If I see or think something funky is going on with a animal I intended to eat I will not mess with it.

A friend heard the same news reporting the death of 2 guys and suppected to be from CWD and called Game&Fish here in Helena MT and asked for clarification.
They said to keep hunting as it regulates the deer heards but whatch what you shoot.If an animal is walking in circles or just standing alone with no other deer around,don't shoot but call us so we can kill the deer and have it tested.
The CDC said people could not get infected by Mad Cow Disease but it happened and to date over 300 people have died from it and it's a Prion disease also as CWD is so be careful and watch what you shoot and abopve all,HAVE IT TESTED!
Then enjoy your meat.
Didn't know the game biologists wanted to be informed and would actually go out and kill the animal and test it. Last fall I saw a deer that was walking very funny, as if it was a horse trotting. It was with a group of several dozen deer each day and occasionally a large herd of elk mixed in. That was in SD. WY has a huge problem. They have recommendations here, and there are also limits on what you can pack out or transport in the game regs.
It is interesting they recommend 40% bleach for 5 minutes to clean knives. That is some strong solution!

Noobie posted:"It is interesting they recommend 40% bleach for 5 minutes to clean knives. That is some strong solution!"
Glad you posted that.I clean my knives and cleaver with mineral spirits but will switch to bleach.

"Although causation remains unproven, this cluster emphasizes the need for further investigation into the potential risks of consuming CWD-infected deer and its implications for public health," they said in the report. CBS News contacted the report's lead author for comment but did not receive an immediate response.

Amazing what you find buried in the middle of an article, so as to avoid being WRONG.

I don't understand why sites like this post this propaganda... if you read the article and not just the headline, there is no indication that the deaths were related to eating deer. Our sporting heritage is under attack and crap like this is their front line intended to fear monger with no real evidence...

I don't understand why sites like this post this propaganda... if you read the article and not just the headline, there is no indication that the deaths were related to eating deer. Our sporting heritage is under attack and crap like this is their front line intended to fear monger with no real evidence...
I responded just about the cleaning of processing equipment.
I'm more concerned with bacteria than anything else.

Noobie posted:"It is interesting they recommend 40% bleach for 5 minutes to clean knives. That is some strong solution!"
Glad you posted that.I clean my knives and cleaver with mineral spirits but will switch to bleach.
That is essentially what is done in operating rooms after an operation is done on a patient suspected of having Jakob Creutzfeld disease. The prions are very difficult to kill. Heat won't do it.

People with agendas have certainly grabbed hold of it, but CWD is real, is increasing in prevalence, and has begun to substantially reduce deer populations in areas that have been infected for a long time.

The European beef industry said mad cow couldn't infect a human for years. Then it did. CWD is not a way that I want to die. I get my deer tested and wait for results before I eat them. I've only been charged once, even in areas that say they charge. No testing is perfect, but I've only hunted in fairly low prevalence areas. If the prevalence is 5%, and the test is 99%, if I get a negative result, there's only a .05% chance the animal actual had CWD.

One thought that keeps me getting mine tested even when it's a little inconvenient is that with mad cow, most people would not consume all the meat from a single cow. Their family might consume 250lbs of beef over a year, but that beef most likely came from many many cows. If they lived in Europe when mad cow was raging, they probably had a few meals off of infected cattle. How many pounds? I don't know, but probably not 250lbs. On the other hand, if I shoot an infected elk, my family would eat the entire 250lbs of infected meat. I'll keep getting mine tested. It's less hassle than any of the part of the hunt, and even when I had to pay, it was cheaper than any other part of the hunt.
Thank for the straight shooting info!