input on 6mm something or other coyote rig build

I'm kind of a 6mm freak to begin with so this question may be right up my alley :cool:

I started with a standard 243win, got bored with that & rechambered to 243AI. I shot that round 'tl the bbl gave up the ghost & was really happy with it. I can't take anything from the 243AI.

I rebarreled that rifle to 6mmAI which is IMHO, a step up in pretty much every category from the 243AI. I'm still shooting that particular rifle/chamber with 85grn bullets. the 6mmAI should get you 3600 or better with 87grainers in a 26"bbl & acceptable chamber pressures.

My favorite 6mm hands down is the 6-284. I built mine on a 700 long action, McM A-5 stock & 28" Kreiger Barrel. I'm running the tried & true 107SMK with Ramshot Magnum at over 3400fps with room to spare. The 6-284 offers some a advantages (noted above I think). The first is LAPUA brass which I think, speaks for itself. The second is '06 powder capacity in a shorter OAL than the '06, you will have more room to fiddle with seating depth & chase lands. Forming cases is so easy "A caveman can do it":D, simply neck down Lapua 6.5-284 brass & voila! You have new 6-284 brass.

Second choice is 6mmAI hands down. Longer neck, very close velocity wise, pretty easy to form cases & VERY accurate.

t

another seriously interesting round to look at, that also is fairly easy on barrel life is the 6mm Vias. How they get that round to shoot so good still amazes me. It's pretty much nothing but a 6.5x55 necked down to 6mm with the shoulders blown out and pushed back about .040". It will push a 70 grain bullet faster than a 220 Swift can push a 50 grain bullet!! I think George used a 35 degree shoulder angle, but could be wrong on that as I've lost my data on the round. It's pretty easy to build. Of course you could always do the same round with a 6mmAI reamer at a length that would allow you to use 6.5x55 brass or 6mm Remington brass. That round ought to push an 87 grain bullet into the 3650fps range, and that's flat smoking! I know of one in my neighborhood that's tagged coyotes in the 800 yard range several times ( Douglas barrel in a Savage 112V with a 1:8 twist). I can't see that far!
gary

Gary,

I've heard of the 6mm Vias before... might have been one of your posts. Very Interesting sounding cartridge indeed. I still load & shoot the old, plain jane, boring 243win as well (AR-10). Provides a lot of fun:D

Chad Dixon on LongRifles Inc fame has been trying to talk me into a 6mm Competition Match. I'm not real familiar with the case dimensions but he is touting 105's at 3150ish & reported bbl life well above 2k (I have no idea how).

I have personally been toying with the idea of one of the ultra velocity 6mms & utilizing a nitrided barrel. Even if i can only gain another 20-25% throat life with my 6-284, i'd be a Happy Camper!!

Merry Christmas fellas,

gun)

Gary,

I've heard of the 6mm Vias before... might have been one of your posts. Very Interesting sounding cartridge indeed. I still load & shoot the old, plain jane, boring 243win as well (AR-10). Provides a lot of fun:D

Chad Dixon on LongRifles Inc fame has been trying to talk me into a 6mm Competition Match. I'm not real familiar with the case dimensions but he is touting 105's at 3150ish & reported bbl life well above 2k (I have no idea how).

I have personally been toying with the idea of one of the ultra velocity 6mms & utilizing a nitrided barrel. Even if i can only gain another 20-25% throat life with my 6-284, i'd be a Happy Camper!!

Merry Christmas fellas,

gun)

I can push a 105 grain Amax right at 3000 fps with no pressure signs at all in my 6/250AI. I'm planning a shade tree rebuild of the barrel this spring, but nothing major. I'm going to run a 6mm Ackley reamer in the barrel to where the over all length comes out at about 2.020. I still can use .243 Lapua brass, and will end up with about a .030" longer headspace number. I get about .04" case shrinkage during firforming (I finally did a serious check on fire formed cases last week). They're comming in at 1.885" overall. Add .04" and you are seeing about 1.925", or right on the 22-250 overall length. With a .243 case, this gives me .115" to play with. The Ackley reamer is setup for a .35" neck length. The shoulder deminsion I'm working with is 1.512", and I think that
1.540" will put me right there. Not quite a 6BG, but also easier to do. I really wish the Ackley neck was in the .32" area, as then I could build it as a 6BG with a 40 degree shoulder.

I'll simply run the reamer into a Forster seater sleeve, and be done with it! The sizer is a different animal, and will probably have to build one or have one made by Harrell. Anyway the chamber should completely clean up, and the increased neck length is what I'm really after right now. The hard part will be chasing the original barrel threads, but done that hundreds of times in the past. (may already have enough thread on the O.D. anyway)

Speaking of AR's. Never over look the 6x45 round. It will push an 85 grain bullet to about 2800 fps in an AR (near max), and the 70 grain bullet to close to 3000 fps. I had an AR once with this chamber, and it was very accurate.
gary

I guess I will be a little off the path here. But for a 6 mm coyote rifle out to 700 yards or even a ways farther. I would put my 6mm br up as a top contender with an 8 twist and a 107 SMK.

Accuracy,
Barrel life ,
BC,
Lapua brass,
Easy load work up,
No Recoil,
Spotting hits,
Cost of hand loading,
Low powder consumption,

All of this makes this 6mm round a great contender.

The 6mm BR, It's not just for winning 1000 yard matches any more.

Jeff

You guys are getting my drooling over getting back into the 6mm's. I shot my savage 243 until the accuracy went and traded it for an AR 4 years ago. I figured my 22-250 pistol and my 25 wssm would trake up the slack. I want another pistol in a 24 cal variant as the 22-250 sucks past a couple of hundred yards here in ND with the wind and the rifle(25wssm) is not very fast at acquiring targets like prarie dogs which seem to get up and go back down faster than a game of "whack a mole". The 24 cal. does seem to be about the best balance; I may look into getting another barrel for my striker 22-250 in 243win.

The 6mm AI, 6mm Crusader or the 6-284 will all do what you want, the only limiting factor for speed will be your barrel length.

The 6mm AI, 6mm Crusader or the 6-284 will all do what you want, the only limiting factor for speed will be your barrel length.

the 6mm AI with the right throat and twist will put you at the top of the game from the start. Brass is an issue with it, but not all that bad. It's not known as a barrel burner if that matters much in a coyote rig. But onthe otherhand it's really not a rifle you'd want to set behind on a dog town. (none of the bigger 6mm's are) . I kinda fell into the 6/250AI by chance, and I like it even though it has it's downfalls. The next indentation will fix most of the issues, but expect very little gain in velocity in the end. Plus the round ispretty easy to do.
gary

Abandon the 6mm and go with a 25-06 or 25-06ackley with 87 gr bullet and jump up to 120's for deer

Abandon the 6mm and go with a 25-06 or 25-06ackley with 87 gr bullet and jump up to 120's for deer

Im a guessin that wouldnt help your BC any and your velocity very little. Bad trade. And I would put any 115 up against the 120 in 25 cal. Ive had both and killed a lot of crap with them both and that dart lookin 115 berger or smk has a good amount of SD for a 6mm and the 25 really doesnt. Even now with the new hybrids at 105 I would launch that 115 icepick just for the penetration. I guess I'm sayin a 115 in a 6 is deadlier than a 120 in a 25-06 for big critters and the 6mm will huff an 87 at real close to the same speed as a 25-06 with a lot better bc.

I shoot a 6mm-06 imp with a 30 degree shoulder and it is by far my favorite rifle. I shoot the 105 a-max at 3,250 fps out of a 26" rock creek. It is also one of my most accurate hunting rounds. They can be pushed up to 3,350 but the pressure starts getting pretty high at this point.

Yep the 6mm is magic
The biggest problem with 25 cal is the bullets(especially 100 gr and below) are stubby and soft for the 250 savage. I've got a 25 wssm, and it's a hell of a rifle but it takes a 120 bt to get the bc up enough for longer range.
I'm looking at rebarreling a striker, so I'm going to stay with a .473 bolt face so I could put the original barrel on with little tinkering.

Got me and the G.D. (71 & 3.5yrs. which ever needs it first- never fired yet) a WallyWorld $399 youth Rem 700 .243Win and a bunch of all the factory loads and noticed:

-in their gun:
A) 58gr Hornady Superformance V Max 3,925 fps
B) 80gr Barnes TTSX BT 3,350 fps

That is woofing it & I bet it will leave a mark. I may never have to reload any, but I got the stuff!

Good luck with your choice.

The biggest problem with 25 cal is the bullets(especially 100 gr and below) are stubby and soft for the 250 savage. I've got a 25 wssm, and it's a hell of a rifle but it takes a 120 bt to get the bc up enough for longer range.
I'm looking at rebarreling a striker, so I'm going to stay with a .473 bolt face so I could put the original barrel on with little tinkering.

one has not completeted his journey in shooting till he's had some fun with a .250 Ackley!! Now there is a round that's pure magic
gary