IMR 4350 Why is it so Expensive,?

Quote -

"Nitrocellulose, also known as cellulose nitrate, is a compound derived from cellulose through a process called nitration, which involves treating cellulose with nitric acid or a mixture of nitric acid with other acids like sulfuric and hydrochloric acid. Cellulose, obtained from purified sources such as cotton linters or wood pulp, serves as the precursor for nitrocellulose production. One of the defining characteristics of nitrocellulose is its highly flammable nature, making it a valuable component in various applications requiring explosive or combustible properties. It finds extensive use in rockets, propellants, explosives, and other pyrotechnic applications due to its rapid combustion and energy release properties."

"The properties of nitrocellulose can vary based on several factors including the source of cellulose, the duration of the nitration reaction, and the ratio of acid to cellulose used during the process. These variations in manufacturing parameters yield nitrocellulose with differing characteristics suited for specific applications. Apart from its role in explosives and pyrotechnics, the nitrocellulose market also finds utility in other fields. It can be employed in the production of plastic films, where its film-forming properties are beneficial, and in printing inks, where it serves as a binder and provides adhesion to surfaces. "

Cellulose sources like wood pulp & cotton are real cheap. Nitric acid is also real cheap & used for a great variety of industrial applications. Other components like burn rate deterents & stabilizers are added in tiny amounts of less than 5%. Double base powders contain nitroglycerine & nitrocellulose. Nitroglycerine has a variety of uses like heart meds & explosives used for mining & other. Nitroglycerine has been around for about 150 years.

Making smokeless powders is not "Rocket Science". Some notable disasters have happened when making extruded smokeless powders - massive death & destruction when 20 tons or so goes up in a big blast during the drying stage. Busted windows about 1 mile from blast. This happened during & after WWI. No extruded powders are made in the USA.

My guess is that manufactured stocks of nitrocellulose and non med nitroglycerine are being diverted for military ordinance/weapon production.

IMR 4350 does not contain plutonium. Get used to ball powders & develop loads using it.
Huh and all this time I thought it was because they mad it from Unicorn blood and Angel ****. 😂

These prices reflect direct hikes from the manufacturer - just a FYI to inquiring minds. Sticker shock for sure!
This!
Those are empty display bottles. They have virtually nothing in stock. Just covering shelves
Our Scheels here have green tags for in-stock and red tags for out-of-stock.

Quote -

"Nitrocellulose, also known as cellulose nitrate, is a compound derived from cellulose through a process called nitration, which involves treating cellulose with nitric acid or a mixture of nitric acid with other acids like sulfuric and hydrochloric acid. Cellulose, obtained from purified sources such as cotton linters or wood pulp, serves as the precursor for nitrocellulose production. One of the defining characteristics of nitrocellulose is its highly flammable nature, making it a valuable component in various applications requiring explosive or combustible properties. It finds extensive use in rockets, propellants, explosives, and other pyrotechnic applications due to its rapid combustion and energy release properties."

"The properties of nitrocellulose can vary based on several factors including the source of cellulose, the duration of the nitration reaction, and the ratio of acid to cellulose used during the process. These variations in manufacturing parameters yield nitrocellulose with differing characteristics suited for specific applications. Apart from its role in explosives and pyrotechnics, the nitrocellulose market also finds utility in other fields. It can be employed in the production of plastic films, where its film-forming properties are beneficial, and in printing inks, where it serves as a binder and provides adhesion to surfaces. "

Cellulose sources like wood pulp & cotton are real cheap. Nitric acid is also real cheap & used for a great variety of industrial applications. Other components like burn rate deterents & stabilizers are added in tiny amounts of less than 5%. Double base powders contain nitroglycerine & nitrocellulose. Nitroglycerine has a variety of uses like heart meds & explosives used for mining & other. Nitroglycerine has been around for about 150 years.

Making smokeless powders is not "Rocket Science". Some notable disasters have happened when making extruded smokeless powders - massive death & destruction when 20 tons or so goes up in a big blast during the drying stage. Busted windows about 1 mile from blast. This happened during & after WWI. No extruded powders are made in the USA.

My guess is that manufactured stocks of nitrocellulose and non med nitroglycerine are being diverted for military ordinance/weapon production.

IMR 4350 does not contain plutonium. Get used to ball powders & develop loads using it.
When this shortage started during the Chinese flu. I started investigating what & where components were made for primers. I ran across a article titled "Putting all Your Eggs In One Basket". It was referring to our military & the components used & needed to make ammo. From the article it stated. There was one plant in Va that made the chemicals needed. I have searched for this article numerous times. It has looked to be wiped from the internet. Or at least beyond my capabilities of finding it. Ever since Duckduckgo was bought out. Their search engine is garbage.

When this shortage started during the Chinese flu. I started investigating what & where components were made for primers. I ran across a article titled "Putting all Your Eggs In One Basket". It was referring to our military & the components used & needed to make ammo. From the article it stated. There was one plant in Va that made the chemicals needed. I have searched for this article numerous times. It has looked to be wiped from the internet. Or at least beyond my capabilities of finding it. Ever since Duckduckgo was bought out. Their search engine is garbage.
If you want I have an entire list of chemical composition of primers. From corrosive composition to new green primers . Your best bet for commercial made primers that you can actually make is from ardvark reloading on you tube. Most of his followers are using mewe. Was a member but got busy with other projects. He has a Chemist that shows you exactly what is need and the process to make your own commercial primers.

Check out IMR 4451 powder. You can usually find it for less. It is part of IMR's Enduron line up which is much more temp insensitive. The 4451 powder was made as an alternative to the IMR 4350 and supposedly has the same burn rate (although charges by weight will vary). Unfortunately, Hodgdon announced they would retire the Enduron line when the acquired IMR.

Great very basic powder I have used may entire "Reloading " life . I've got a few cans at $46.00 per pound and $49.00 per pound from last year, and two at $59.00 from this year. At 55 grains in a 270 Win /or 30-06 , I can load about 110 rounds per pound. Thats approx. .53 cents worth of powder. per round. I wish it was back to the old 39.95 per pound, but I don't expect to ever see that again.