Just how expensive is a 338-408 chey

ishootkittens

Been doing some online searches and found some really cool 408 and 375 cheytac rifles that has got me interested. With the .375 bullet selection being far and few between I started looking into the 338-408chey variations like the 338 snipe-tac. With this type of overbore cartridge I believe that fireforming is just a waste of already limited barrel life. Just wondered if anyone has used a "standard" 338-375chey?

The reason I ask, is that cheytac brass seems to be a little cheaper than lapua brass right now but I am not familiar with the quality of the cheytac brass.

1. How much more expensive would it be to build a 338-408chey over say a 338 lapua AI

2. How much more expensive would it be to SHOOT a 338-408chey over a lapua AI

3. Is the 200fps or so worth the cost over the Lapua AI?

I know that is alot of questions but I am just curious. If the cost isnt substantially more then I may just call stiller today and get a .408 action in process.

Thanks guys

Been doing some online searches and found some really cool 408 and 375 cheytac rifles that has got me interested. With the .375 bullet selection being far and few between I started looking into the 338-408chey variations like the 338 snipe-tac. With this type of overbore cartridge I believe that fireforming is just a waste of already limited barrel life. Just wondered if anyone has used a "standard" 338-375chey?

The reason I ask, is that cheytac brass seems to be a little cheaper than lapua brass right now but I am not familiar with the quality of the cheytac brass.

1. How much more expensive would it be to build a 338-408chey over say a 338 lapua AI

2. How much more expensive would it be to SHOOT a 338-408chey over a lapua AI

3. Is the 200fps or so worth the cost over the Lapua AI?

I know that is alot of questions but I am just curious. If the cost isnt substantially more then I may just call stiller today and get a .408 action in process.

Thanks guys

Read post #12. Just my $.02. I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f116/40-hart-vs-338-allen-mag-125133/index2.html

Does it make sense to say that I could get Lapua AI velocity without pushing the cheytac case as hard as the Lapua case? I don't really care how heavy the gun is going to be because where I hunt I don't have to pack very far. I also want to stay away from improving the cheytac case as much as possible because of the already limited barrel life. If I could get 1000 rounds of MOA accuracy I'd be happy with that

Does it make sense to say that I could get Lapua AI velocity without pushing the cheytac case as hard as the Lapua case?

The velocities in a mild Cheytac case will still be above those of a max Laupa AI case. The Chytac case with minimum load will be over 130 grains. I don't know how this will improve barrel life much over a 140 gr load and most surely not over a 90+gr 338 AI load.

Barrel life won't be prolonged by much but it's CASE life that I am most worried about. I do believe 130gr vs 140gr of powder will make a difference in case life (in my theory). I'm worried about this the most because right now cheytac cases are cheaper than lapua cases but I'm sure the quality isn't as good which is why I want to be as easy as possible on the brass while still beating the Lapua improved.

Barrel life won't be prolonged by much but it's CASE life that I am most worried about. I do believe 130gr vs 140gr of powder will make a difference in case life (in my theory). I'm worried about this the most because right now cheytac cases are cheaper than lapua cases but I'm sure the quality isn't as good which is why I want to be as easy as possible on the brass while still beating the Lapua improved.

I think pressure is pressure and lower pressure extends case life. If I had the money I'd go for the 338/408. A local guy had one and it was a nice rifle.

I think pressure is pressure and lower pressure extends case life. If I had the money I'd go for the 338/408. A local guy had one and it was a nice rifle.
I can run a 300 Berger 3100 out of my 338 Lapua Imp. and shoot 5 shot 5 inch groups at 1000. I have been to the mile shoots and the Cheytec hasn't won when I was there. There was 40 cheytecs and one 338 Lapua Imp and one 308 Baer. The Lapua won the score and the Baer won the group. IN fact it was an new world record 7.5 inches for 5 shots at a mile. The Lapua cases are built like a tank and they last forever. My buddy is only getting 3200 in his and the cases only last 2 to 3 firings. His last barrel was gone at 500 rounds and the rifling was completely gone for 5 inches. The bore had opened up to about 5 thousandths. In contrast my other buddy is sill hunting with his Lapua IMP and It has over 1600 rounds through it including 2 years of competition at Wlliamsport 1000 yard club. The competition is really hard on barrels because you shoot 7 to 8 sighters in 6 minutes and when records come you you shoot as fast as you can and that ususally means 10 shots in less then a minute. That is really hard on the throats because of the heat. If I built a Cheytec it would be a 375. I just don't see a need for it. I can shoot to 2000 yards accurately with my Lapua IMP. Matt

I can run a 300 Berger 3100 out of my 338 Lapua Imp. and shoot 5 shot 5 inch groups at 1000. I have been to the mile shoots and the Cheytec hasn't won when I was there. There was 40 cheytecs and one 338 Lapua Imp and one 308 Baer. The Lapua won the score and the Baer won the group. IN fact it was an new world record 7.5 inches for 5 shots at a mile. The Lapua cases are built like a tank and they last forever. My buddy is only getting 3200 in his and the cases only last 2 to 3 firings. His last barrel was gone at 500 rounds and the rifling was completely gone for 5 inches. The bore had opened up to about 5 thousandths. In contrast my other buddy is sill hunting with his Lapua IMP and It has over 1600 rounds through it including 2 years of competition at Wlliamsport 1000 yard club. The competition is really hard on barrels because you shoot 7 to 8 sighters in 6 minutes and when records come you you shoot as fast as you can and that ususally means 10 shots in less then a minute. That is really hard on the throats because of the heat. If I built a Cheytec it would be a 375. I just don't see a need for it. I can shoot to 2000 yards accurately with my Lapua IMP. Matt

**** 500 rounds huh, good thing I'm not a competition shooter! Id be in trouble. Heat is a killer

IMO, if you even remotely squeamish about the cost of some of the best brass available in the Lapua then the Cheytac is so far out of reach it's no even funny. You need much stouter actions, more $$$$, you need heavier longer barrels, more $$$$, you need heavier reloading equipment, more $$$$ and your burning far more powder which is more $$$$ per shot. The 375 Cheytac is interesting but your not going to be doing anything on the cheap, the better 375 bullet cost some coin. Beating up on a 338 Lapua Improved is an expensive thing to tackle!

IMO, if you even remotely squeamish about the cost of some of the best brass available in the Lapua then the Cheytac is so far out of reach it's no even funny. You need much stouter actions, more $$$$, you need heavier longer barrels, more $$$$, you need heavier reloading equipment, more $$$$ and your burning far more powder which is more $$$$ per shot. The 375 Cheytac is interesting but your not going to be doing anything on the cheap, the better 375 bullet cost some coin. Beating up on a 338 Lapua Improved is an expensive thing to tackle!

Thanks a lot for the input. I really appreciate it. I am in no way arguing but I hope you elaborate on some of the following.

1. Why would I need bigger reloading equipment? My Redding seems to have quite a bit of clearance and I have a few cheytac cases and they all fit with about 2 inches to spare. Sure I will have to throw the bullet up into the die when I seat it haha but I can get over that.

2. I had a BAT Tactical action ordered (1600+$) but if I go with the 408 route wouldn't the stiller be a little cheaper and stiffer?

The powder thing is kind of a pain in the *** but as Good and I were talking about I could always tone the velocity down to still match or surpass the Lapua if necessary.

Maybe I am just trying too hard to be different but I guess I just get tired of seeing lapua on every post :rolleyes::D

I am shooting the 338 big Baer, 338-408 imp. The actions are a bit more , but he is having Bertram make the brass witch is allready fireformed. That is a good thing for barrel life! I am shooting the 300 smk,s at 3250 with no preasure signs. Also have a 338-378 Wby. It is a good bit slower so I switched to 252 gr. cutting edge bullets. Getting 3175 fps also a good killer!

Best I can do HaHa

Attachments

• bino,.s 031.jpg
    bino,.s 031.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 154
Few more

Attachments

• bino,.s 032.jpg
    bino,.s 032.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 130
  • bino,.s 033.jpg
    bino,.s 033.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 139
  • bino,.s 034.jpg
    bino,.s 034.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 140
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.