Improving the 308 Win performance

I've used Fed 210M and CCI450's in Lapua Brass. Ive gone up to 48.5 gr with the 178 ELDX in testing. The 175 TMK won the speed contest with 2850 from a 24" using the more roomy WIN brass. Pockets don't last long, but don't remember and didn't document exactly how many firings. Did a workup with LVR and milsurp brass and 155 AMAX. Stopped at 46gr, but I documented that I could easily go up another couple gr. This is in a 24" AR10T that shows pressure quickly. Zero signs with 46 and 155's. 2900 fps too.

Oh I'm certain there are ballistic advantages but not everyone feels that's an advantage where killing bigger animals counts. Some guys prefer 180+ grain bullets and you can't replace weight with much else in many situations. Personally I'd prefer the best ballistics (faster/flatter/ higher BC) for what I do mostly. There is a time where bullet weight does Trump speed and BC. It was what I meant.
Agreed. But when most people compare 6.5CM to 308 they compare 140 grain bullets to 168 or 180 grain bullets. The game evens up a bit when you get the 308 to 130-150 grain bullets.

That's all I meant by my post.

Yep I'm sure it can be done but I've never run them that fast. I use that weight for deer at close range and usually prefer 2900 from the muzzle.
This were with the now discontinued 152 grain Hammer Power Hammer bullets. They printed tiny groups with that load combo; one of the few occasions I have the Hammers shoot well for me.

This was also with small primer brass.

This were with the now discontinued 152 grain Hammer Power Hammer bullets. They printed tiny groups with that load combo; one of the few occasions I have the Hammers shoot well for me.

This was also with small primer brass.
May have to try some mono's in one of my faster twist 308s. Never ran them in a 308

Never tried this in a 20" tube. Mine have all been from 26-30" barrels.
This can be easily overcome with a lighter or comparable weigh bullet in the .308.

There's been a post on here several times demonstrating this.
Was doing some experimenting today with 51.5 gr LVR and our 175 gr BD2 bullet in. 26" 308 Win Barrel, CCI 450 primers, and SRP Palma Lapua brass. The BC of that bullet is the same as the Berger 140 6.5mm bullet. Got the velocity to an average of 2944 fps with no pressure signs at all. The pic below shows that there was no primer flattening or ejector mark. You can see a bit of cratering but this is characteristic of Savage actions even at standard pressure. COAL was 2.950". Probably could go faster but this load seems safe at 40F. The point of all this is that with the right components the 308 Win has significantly more potential. I approached this by increasing the powder charge in 0.5-1 gr increments. The pressures at this velocity likely are elevated so caution is advised. We certainly like the 6.5 Creedmoor because the 6.5 caliber bullets are some of our hottest sellers. With StaBall6.5 the 6.5 Creed performance can also be improved. We definitely have done the same with the 6.5x47. It seems like the LVR is an excellent powder for the 308Win. Curious there is no data published for it.

Attachments

• 485CCAFD-DA1F-4C60-A70A-F98D785AE4D8.jpeg
    485CCAFD-DA1F-4C60-A70A-F98D785AE4D8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 66
Was doing some experimenting today with 51.5 gr LVR and our 175 gr BD2 bullet in. 26" 308 Win Barrel, CCI 450 primers, and SRP Palma Lapua brass. The BC of that bullet is the same as the Berger 140 6.5mm bullet. Got the velocity to an average of 2944 fps with no pressure signs at all. The pic below shows that there was no primer flattening or ejector mark. You can see a bit of cratering but this is characteristic of Savage actions even at standard pressure. COAL was 2.950". Probably could go faster but this load seems safe at 40F. The point of all this is that with the right components the 308 Win has significantly more potential. I approached this by increasing the powder charge in 0.5-1 gr increments. The pressures at this velocity likely are elevated so caution is advised. We certainly like the 6.5 Creedmoor because the 6.5 caliber bullets are some of our hottest sellers. With StaBall6.5 the 6.5 Creed performance can also be improved. We definitely have done the same with the 6.5x47. It seems like the LVR is an excellent powder for the 308Win. Curious there is no data published for it.
The 175 given the same velocity and BC is the better option than the 140 in the 6.5. Ballistic charts mean nothing in wind. The heavier bullets wins Everytime in wind all other things being equal. Mono's definitely make a difference given their ballistic profile.

I'm interested now in trying the 150 gr. BD2 (my .308s are 11 twist 18" and 20" barrels so the 175 won't work). Don't have any LVR and I'd like to use a powder I already have namely Varget or CFE223 or H4350 or TAC or N150/555. Any recommendation for ranking those, or do you think LVR is going to work much better?

Yep I'm sure it can be done but I've never run them that fast. I use that weight for deer at close range and usually prefer 2900 from the muzzle.
This were with the now discontinued 152 grain Hammer Power Hammer bullets. They printed tiny groups with that load combo; one of the few occasions
I'm interested now in trying the 150 gr. BD2 (my .308s are 11 twist 18" and 20" barrels so the 175 won't work). Don't have any LVR and I'd like to use a powder I already have namely Varget or CFE223 or H4350 or TAC or N150/555. Any recommendation for ranking those, or do you think LVR is going to work much better?
CFE is going to give you the most velocity but the least temp stability. Varget will be the opposite. TAC will likely give the next highest velocity but watch your pressure because it seems to go over the edge quickly.

You may try the 175 in your 11 twist barrel. Mine is a factory R700 5R Milspec and it shoots the 175 fine with a 11.25 twist. It may not give optimal gs though even though it prints well on paper.

The CFE223, I think, is the closest in performance to LVR. burns a bit faster but is dirtier, which for me was an issue. If you can get it or have some already, the SRP brass from either Peterson or Lapua will allow you safely to use higher pressures. Varget should also be very good. It's only downside is that it is a stick powder and is compressed at max loads but it is temp stable and burns cleanly. The SRP case was created to use compressed charges of Varget in competition. Not familiar with TAC and H4350 may be a little slow for your application, but I have not tried it there so I could not comment other than I like it's temp stability.N150 is worth a try as it has a burn rate close to H414. N550 might be a bit slow burning to get decent speed is my guess. Overall. Varget is probably the best of the powders you mentioned.

Last edited:
Varget

So, after fifteen pages has a determination been made?
Leverevolution (LVR) I think is an excellent powder for the 308 Win better than CFE223 because it burns much cleaner. Varget is probably more temp stable but generates less velocity and does not pack as well. A temp stable LVR would be ideal. Right now Varget and LVR are in my mind equivalent.

I know 6.5 staball was tried and it is not a stick powder so this might be a candidate if not wanting the compression issue but I'm not sure what the load was for staball or if it was getting compressed. I'm going to try both with what I have see how they come out. I will be using hornady brass and BR2's LRP probably or Fed 210's.

Winner below

Leverevolution (LVR) I think is an excellent powder for the 308 Win better than CFE223 because it burns much cleaner. Varget is probably more temp stable but generates less velocity and does not pack as well. A temp stable LVR would be ideal. Right now Varget and LVR are in my mind equivalent.