Improving the 308 Win performance

Question now becomes if the primer can handle it or does that not come into play? Flowback, piercing, etc…..
The 277 fury has no issue piercing primers at 80kpsi. It looks like these guys are using the same idea with a stainless case head, but implemented quite differently.
From reading their website the majority of the case is some nickle alloy?

Last edited:
I think I've figured out the ultimate way to improve the 308. You just need to make it caseless.

Step 1: Take the bolt out of your rifle.
Step 2: Drop your bullet down the barrel. You may need to tap it into the lands with a wood rod.
Step 3: Pour Lil'gun directly into the chamber, right up to the top.
Step 4: Place a primed 45 ACP in your bolt head. Make sure it's held in place by the extractor.
Step 5: Put the bolt back into the rifle.

You'll never say the 308 isn't powerful enough again!

I think I've figured out the ultimate way to improve the 308. You just need to make it caseless.

Step 2: Drop your bullet down the barrel. You may need to tap it into the lands with a wood rod.
Step 4: Place a primed 45 ACP in your bolt head. Make sure it's held in place by the extractor.

Don't forget to use a rubber mallet to hammer the bolt down onto the charge. You do not want to mar the back of the bolt.

You must of learned that lesson building pipe bombs in downtown Detroit?

900 yards on an Elk? I'm seeing less than 550 ft/bls at 900y even if you're pushing it at 3050 fps.

I'm also sort of curious what you're saying it about it outperforming 30-06 when your standard velocities for a 150grn load are going to be 2850-3000 fps. Let alone going to a heavier bullet with the '06 like a 180grn you'll still be high 2700's starting velocity.

But all that aside. I've got two favored loads for my .308s, 168 SMKs I don't push them real fast but I've taken hundreds of hogs from 0-250 yards and a lot of deer. My new favorite, within the last three years, are 110 V-Max moving at about 2950 fps out of a short-ish barrel is doing amazing work for me at the ranges I hunt from coyotes to hogs to deer and was shockingly accurrate, don't tear up magazines, and feed well through a semi.
110 grainers tear up everything I hit, especially pigs. Cheap to reload too.

It's a great little cartridge, but could benefit the most from a much larger case capacity. 😜

Short of that…..not a lot of serious gains to be had! memtb
Seems the 338 Federal would be next logical step up to add 3-400 ft lb energy with same cartridge case size.

Seems the 338 Federal would be next logical step up to add 3-400 ft lb energy with same cartridge case size.

Energy yes….if one is convinced that ft/lbs is the answer.

I do love the larger diameter bullet…..but, there's a sacrifice for longer distance shooting. Decisions, Decisions! 🤔

By the way, I'm a big fan of the .338 Fed…..even though I've never used one! 😁 I just like the concept! memtb