Improving the 308 Win performance

My experience says that can be a small factor, however each rifle barrel is different (even the same manufacturer, length, and twist). With the 64 .300 WinMags I we had in our vault, we experienced a 300 fps variation from fasted to slowest. This is with same ammo, conditions, etc.
Related subject. How do the Sig Mk248 Mod0 compare with the LC/Fed. Precision and velocity from the same 190 SMKs.

So far all we have had at the schoolhouse is Federal. I have shot the Sig stuff here and there and it did very well. Their ammo plant is 15 minutes from us.

To relate it to this thread even more 😁, the 6.8x51mm Sig high pressure cases have spit out some impressive velocity numbers when necked up to .308. Some heavy bullet tests are in the near future.

So far all we have had at the schoolhouse is Federal. I have shot the Sig stuff here and there and it did very well. Their ammo plant is 15 minutes from us.

To relate it to this thread even more 😁, the 6.8x51mm Sig high pressure cases have spit out some impressive velocity numbers when necked up to .308. Some heavy bullet tests are in the near future.

Looking forward to the data. I will rebarrel a 700 for a lightweight rig and chamber with my FTR reamer. No mag length, but I can hunt single shot. 215 Bergers at 06 velocity, 2830 in my 28 Incher would be nice.

I know some of your data shows a slower MV with the same charge and a 20" barrel. Possibly due to using a 9 twist barrel you think?
No. It could be just a tighter barrel or the lot of powder. In any event, I'm happy with the speeds I'm getting and very glad that you are seeing excellent performance from your rifle with our bullet. Corroborates my point about how with the right components one can get significantly more performance well above published data. By being able to push a high BC bullet really fast you can take full advantage of the added velocity.

You should give the 175 gr .308 BD2 bullet a try in those cases. That bullet has a higher BC than 185 gr Bergers.

You should give the 175 gr .308 BD2 bullet a try in those cases. That bullet has a higher BC than 185 gr Bergers.
Barrel length suggestion?

My FTR reamer to use on the project, I call it 300 Fury, necked up hybrid case to 308.

20201124_142640.jpg

Last edited:
So 150 BD2 in new virgin Alpha SRP brass, COAL 2.910, 49 LeverEvo, CCI SRP mag primer, no pressure, 3058 FPS average, SD of 12, in 18" 1/10 barrel. Accuracy is MOA or slightly better. Outdoor temp 92. I can get this better with changing seating depth and once I fully prep fired brass.

Went to 49.5 and had beginnings of flattening on primers.

I'm going to back off to 48 and work up in .02 increments and see what I get. I'm still at the range but will do a H20 capacity later today or tomorrow.

Good day gents!
View attachment 469232View attachment 469233
So I shot the Leverevolution load today with 49.1 and 49.2 grains in a Bartlein 9 twist 22" barrel and different 150 gr lead bonded bulletoaded to 2.860" the average velocity was 2868 fps jumped to 2875 fps average with the 49.2 gr load. I used the bi metal brass with a capacity of 57.5 grs fired the Lapua Palma SP case was 56.0 gr water capacity. That's what I got with the components used and a 22" barrel. No problems with pressure.

Barrel length suggestion?

My FTR reamer to use on the project, I call it 300 Fury, necked up hybrid case to 308.

View attachment 469520
The bimetal 277 Furry case is very easy to make into 308. Mandrel up and spray lube just up to the imaginary 308 shoulder and run through a 308 FL die. I like to neck turn in the lathe for consistency. I also make them into 6.5 Creedmoor but its a little more trouble. See if its for you without the wildcat routine. And I'd keep the orginial 30° short neck of the Fury case ...just .308"...or .284" or 6.5 etc .If it becomes popular it will be in other calibers. These days that could take a decade.

The bimetal 277 Furry case is very easy to make into 308. Mandrel up and spray lube just up to the imaginary 308 shoulder and run through a 308 FL die. I like to neck turn in the lathe for consistency. I also make them into 6.5 Creedmoor but its a little more trouble. See if its for you without the wildcat routine. And I'd keep the orginial 30° short neck of the Fury case ...just .308"...or .284" or 6.5 etc .If it becomes popular it will be in other calibers. These days that could take a decade.

I have a zip lock bag of hybrid brass. I intend to do the 300 version, since I am a 30 cal fan. Deciding which barrel to spin up with the FTR reamer.

Incidentally, I also turn necks either on the 1024 or 1236 lathe, whichever is open. Insitu turned mandrel is the only way to turn necks. The case turns with mandrel instead of case turning around the mandrel.

20230329_084032.jpg

I have a zip lock bag of hybrid brass. I intend to do the 300 version, since I am a 30 cal fan. Deciding which barrel to spin up with the FTR reamer.

Incidentally, I also turn necks either on the 1024 or 1236 lathe, whichever is open. Insitu turned mandrel is the only way to turn necks. The case turns with mandrel instead of case turning around the mandrel.

View attachment 469565
I chamber barrels, thread barrels, turn, bore, drill ream, even polish etc. Spinning metal is a different actual process.
I don't just "spin them up" on a lathe, it's delightfully amateurish. And lots of folks use this term "spin up" or "spun up" thinking it's the "in thing," the latest in slang.. But very telling, no machinist apprentice would use those terms, and expect to become a journeyman. Professional machinist have to be precise in everything they do, 35 yrs as a professional machinist no one who is professional will use such slang with non descriptive meaning on the job..no one. I Never "spun up" a part for a nuclear reactor, or submarine, missile parts, or robotics, and neither has any other apprenticeship and college trained machinist. Its worse than bad grammar to a sophisticated college English professor. It shows your level of inexperience, or that you lost everything you once knew.
I use a super precision Hardinge lathe with collets and turn case necks and bump shoulders with diamond ground carbide tools. Sig does not recommend reloading these bI-metal cases, that are actually 3 pices. I am reloading them in two calibers 308, and 6.5 Creedmoor. The 6.5 Creedmoor shows more promise ...so far. And it doesn't appear to be smooth sailing...just yet. I have 800 bi metal hybrid cases, already gone through a hundred. Sometimes ya gotta pull bullets, especially when your working in the dark. My suggestion is to use brass cases as a base line, then compare data from the chronograph. The powders used in the military cases are not available to the public, yet ....some of the information is even classified small arms data.
Remember no one has approved reloading these hybrid cases. And many factorys will not stand by their products with handloads. An at your own risk endevor.

I chamber barrels, thread barrels, turn, bore, drill ream, even polish etc. Spinning metal is a different actual process.
I don't just "spin them up" on a lathe, it's delightfully amateurish. And lots of folks use this term "spin up" or "spun up" thinking it's the "in thing," the latest in slang.. But very telling, no machinist apprentice would use those terms, and expect to become a journeyman. Professional machinist have to be precise in everything they do, 35 yrs as a professional machinist no one who is professional will use such slang with non descriptive meaning on the job..no one. I Never "spun up" a part for a nuclear reactor, or submarine, missile parts, or robotics, and neither has any other apprenticeship and college trained machinist. Its worse than bad grammar to a sophisticated college English professor. It shows your level of inexperience, or that you lost everything you once knew.
I use a super precision Hardinge lathe with collets and turn case necks and bump shoulders with diamond ground carbide tools. Sig does not recommend reloading these bI-metal cases, that are actually 3 pices. I am reloading them in two calibers 308, and 6.5 Creedmoor. The 6.5 Creedmoor shows more promise ...so far. And it doesn't appear to be smooth sailing...just yet. I have 800 bi metal hybrid cases, already gone through a hundred. Sometimes ya gotta pull bullets, especially when your working in the dark. My suggestion is to use brass cases as a base line, then compare data from the chronograph. The powders used in the military cases are not available to the public, yet ....some of the information is even classified small arms data.
Remember no one has approved reloading these hybrid cases. And many factorys will not stand by their products with handloads. At your own risk endevor.
I am just a hobbyist trained by a couple of benchrest gunsmiths, my old buddies when I shot benchrest in the 80s. Save the formal lingo to the PROS. Not in the business, just started chambering in 2015, 4 years into my retirement from the semiconductor industry. I never operated any machines before, I had access to a huge shop full of tool and die makers.

In my garage shop I do mostly gas guns for the TX Jrs, friends, and bolt guns for benchrest shooters. Bolt gunners get 1 day service since I do not have FFL. Just over 200 barrels to my credit, not doing high volume. All done with benchrest procedures, including the gas guns.

Last edited:
I am just a hobbyist trained by a couple of benchrest gunsmiths, my old buddies when I shot benchrest in the 80s. Save the formal lingo to the PROS. Not in the business, just started chambering in 2015, 4 years into my retirement from the semiconductor industry. I never operated any machines before, I had access to a huge shop full of tool and die makers.

In my garage shop I do mostly gas guns for the TX Jrs, friends, and bolt guns for benchrest shooters. Bolt gunners get 1 day service since I do not have FFL. Just over 200 barrels to my credit, not doing high volume. All done with benchrest procedures, including the gas guns.
"Formal lingo" ...LOL... You just failed your apprenticeship on day one. Trying to help you sound more professional...learn? No, your ego has overwhelmed you, with the macho man image, "spun it up".. all by myself..
cannot take any constructive criticism.
Spinning alot of "yarn."
A professional can always tell...
I don't think preforming gun work for others is acceptable to the ATF guys. Without a FFL license, specifically for the work you intend to do. ...especially if you charge a fee. That changes everything...like drop in trigger if the gun is for resale...ya need an FFL. They make the law vague so they can entrap you...so the best way to stay out of trouble is to have a conversation with the ATF... they are vague on purpose, but can give you some guidance.
There are several types of FFL licenses, you may want to check into it. And you must keep extensive records on every gun related sale. Plus they do not need a warrant to check your records and record keeping ...any violation is serious. You can teach a person how to assemble an AR, but you can not do it for them and ya can't charge them ...as you then become a gun manufacturer.
I could instruct a 10 yr girl how assemble her AR.
But here state laws say she can not be in possession of the gun until she is 21...the law has a "wacky," flaw a 12 yr old can hunt big game with a hunter safety certificate. ..but new law says he can not be in possession of a firearm.
Possession of firearms has a 21yr old limit now..thanks to all the school shooters. Forget LR shooting at game no electronic devices such as laser range finders of any kind, leave your Krestrel at home, when big game hunting. Plus all the other hassles too numerous to mention. Be safe get an FFL...that's a hard lesson to learn, if ya don't...and they object to your activities.

"Formal lingo" ...LOL... You just failed your apprenticeship on day one. Trying to help you sound more professional...learn? No, your ego has overwhelmed you, with the macho man image, "spun it up".. all by myself..
cannot take any constructive criticism.
Spinning alot of "yarn."
A professional can always tell...
I don't think preforming gun work for others is acceptable to the ATF guys. Without a FFL license, specifically for the work you intend to do. ...especially if you charge a fee. That changes everything...like drop in trigger if the gun is for resale...ya need an FFL. They make the law vague so they can entrap you...so the best way to stay out of trouble is to have a conversation with the ATF... they are vague on purpose, but can give you some guidance.
There are several types of FFL licenses, you may want to check into it. And you must keep extensive records on every gun related sale. Plus they do not need a warrant to check your records and record keeping ...any violation is serious. You can teach a person how to assemble an AR, but you can not do it for them and ya can't charge them ...as you then become a gun manufacturer.
I could instruct a 10 yr girl how assemble her AR.
But here state laws say she can not be in possession of the gun until she is 21...the law has a "wacky," flaw a 12 yr old can hunt big game with a hunter safety certificate. ..but new law says he can not be in possession of a firearm.
Possession of firearms has a 21yr old limit now..thanks to all the school shooters. Forget LR shooting at game no electronic devices such as laser range finders of any kind, leave your Krestrel at home, when big game hunting. Plus all the other hassles too numerous to mention. Be safe get an FFL...that's a hard lesson to learn, if ya don't...and they object to your activities.
Your post has 58 grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. You just failed English writing on a junior high level, with what I assume is many decades of experience. Nobody cares, right?
Now can we stop being condescending and preachy and get back to talking about improving 308 performance... at long range... hunting big game... with a kestrel and laser range finder... and whatever else I can use to enhance my performance...
Do you see what I did there?

"Now can we stop being condescending and preachy and get back to talking about improving 308 performance... at long range... hunting big game... with a kestrel and laser range finder... and whatever else I can use to enhance my performance..."

No kidding! Get the train back on the rails gents. Jeeze

Not a great way for a 2 week member to be rolling or better yet "spinning".

Last edited: