Improving the 308 Win performance

Wow, 600 yards isn't really even a challenge honestly to make quality clean kills with a properly set up 308 with the intent to hunt at range. A 215 Berger pushed will do an elk dirty at nearly double the range you think if you and the conditions are up to it!!
It all comes down to me having enough gun to make the long shot WITH assurance that I can make a clean and ethical kill. If I am not completly sure of that, I won't take the shot. Lots of folks have made the statement about having enough gun for the job. I couldn't agree more. To me, shooting elk at 600+ yds pushes the envelope. Yes it can be done.
But I will need to think hard if I want to. Probably pass on it and work my way closer to the target.

Why would they need a steel base, we all know anyone running Lapua or ADG brass is running 80k already??
I'm late on this but have done some research because my son loves military cartridges.
Why would they need a steel base, we all know anyone running Lapua or ADG brass is running 80k already??
I understand that it was needed to handle the pressure and meet military specs. The civilian version uses brass if I understand correctly and is more along the lines of 2700. Which is still pretty hot from a 16" barrel.
My question for the 277 fury would be.
1. How long is the barrel gonna last as that's obviously a hot chambering in a repeating rifle?
2. How long will the rest of the gun hold up under that pressure?
3. Why? 80,000 PSI seems like asking for trouble! Cases obviously will be more complex to make and expensive. Which we, the tax payer will end up paying for. We need a little more horsepower than 5.56 but this seems akin to going around one's elbow to get to one's 🐴

Oh! Back on track. 308 load
40.6 AR comp. LC 85 or LC 67 match brass or
42 grains AR Comp in Win. Brass or
41.7 grains AR Comp in RP brass
168 Amax
Fed 210m primer
2630-2660fps in my 20" barreled DPMS G2
Kills deer real dead, Hogs too.
Use at your own risk
I have a load that'll push 3000fps with a 150 from a 26" bolt gun but it's temp sensitive and I'd rather shoot stick powder H4895, imr 4064, Varget In the bolt gun and stay around 2900.

This thread would be dedicated to ways to improve the performance of the 308 Win or the 7.62x51 mm cartridge without wildcatting the case. Experienced and innovative reloaders should find this interesting and are encouraged to participate. The 308Win is so versatile, inherently accurate and commonly used, and yet its performance in terms of MV, trajectory and speed is a bit mediocre. I am sure it can out perform the 3006. To start with I offer up my favorite hunting load I have used for the past 6/7 years in the 308Win. The 150 gr BD or BD2 with 49 gr of Leverevolution going 2920 fps from a 1:10, 20"Douglas barrel in a short action rifle. The same load from a 24" Bartlein 1:9 twist barrel goes 3050 fps. This load would be a pretty decent long range Elk load to 900 yds or so.
Crazy talk! Just buy a 300 WSM or win mag or PRC. No reason to go crazy or lead others to believe it's safe to try to do something that wasn't intended. Just buy or build the right cartridge for the purpose.

So in choosing an aftermarket barrel, what brand do you run?
Me? I would go with Bartlein. What ever you pick while your waiting pick up a 308 Win Large Shank Savage Take Off for the Stealth. What I did. Also found a 6.5 PRC Take Off for it too.

I am going to order a 6.8 Western Bartlein and a Origin.

Large shank barrels are better for fat cartridges in general.

I agree. The Origin is small shank, I understand you can have the large for more meat, but cut with small threads. Not sure if that is correct with Origin.

We have several 308s and willing to try the 150 BD2s in the old Winchesters etc. In the 1:10 20 inch barrels will the 175 work? I am presuming they likeley won't work in the 22 inch 1:11.25, correct?

Why not stuff the same BD2 bullet into a 30-06 case with about 60 grains of RL19? Like was mentioned earlier, the same advancements help the -06 as much as any other any cartridge. How's the saying go? A rising tide lifts all ships
Guys shooting a 3006 definitely can benefit by stuffing the 150gr BD2 .308 cal bullet in their 3006 case. The bullet in question is a reloading component and since it has the highest BC in it's weight category, 3006 guys will benefit from that. The pupose of this thread is to find ways of improving the 308Win performance by using better components. Certainly using higher BC reliably expanding bullets in other .308 caliber cartridges should improve their performance at distance.

. I am sure it can out perform the 3006.
Yeah, but you said in your first post you said this. So my point was give them both the same facelift instead of declaring it will outpace a bigger cartridge. Otherwise, I get your point.

Me? I would go with Bartlein. What ever you pick while your waiting pick up a 308 Win Large Shank Savage Take Off for the Stealth. What I did. Also found a 6.5 PRC Take Off for it too.

I am going to order a 6.8 Western Bartlein and a Origin.

I agree. The Origin is small shank, I understand you can have the large for more meat, but cut with small threads. Not sure if that is correct with Origin.

We have several 308s and willing to try the 150 BD2s in the old Winchesters etc. In the 1:10 20 inch barrels will the 175 work? I am presuming they likeley won't work in the 22 inch 1:11.25, correct?
The 175 gr BD2 will work fine in a 20" barrel with a 1:10 twist, but will not be adequately stabilized in a 1:11.25 twist. Being heavier the MV will be slower of course. You can mitigate that some by using a small rifle primer case, a small rifle MAGNUM primer and Leverevolution (LVR) powder. It's burn rate is a bit slower than CFE223 so you could start out at recommended charges of CFE 223 for 175-180 gr bullets and increase the LVR charge by 1 grain until you either reach the speed you want or start noticing pressure signs. Large rifle brass are fine but I at the higher pressure end the primer pockets tend to enlarge. I use the Lapua Palma brass which has a small rifle primer. In testing for this thread I have reused the same batch of brass 5-6 times now with no primer pocket issues so far. Tried to post a picture of the fired case but it did not download

How well does the V-max do on deer? Whitetail?
I'm hoping to set up a load for my daughter to shoot I had wondered about using these
Thank you in advance
Looks like I don't have any pictures of it on deer. If memory serves I've only done two does with the 308 vmax, not sure how many does with .223 vmax. I've taken a few yotes less than 100 yards, hogs out to about 200 yards, and the deer we also close ish. I originally loaded them for hog eradication competitions counting on them to do well even with running hits and this has proven very true. Meat damage on the does was similar to 6.5C eld-m as I recall.

Recent Posts