Ignorant question about Redding type s dies

SealT5

So I'm crossing over to a bushing die for my new 6.5x47 lapua. I'm unsure how to decide on the correct bushing size I need without having a loaded round. I currently have 485 pieces of once fired lapua brass and 15 loaded rounds of factory lapua 139gr scenars. I will be shooting the 140gr Berger hybrid. Can I FL size my brass and seat a bullet without a bushing or do i need a standard seating die to give me a starting point. Any help would be greatly valued. If I left out any valuable info I apologize.

So I'm crossing over to a bushing die for my new 6.5x47 lapua. I'm unsure how to decide on the correct bushing size I need without having a loaded round. I currently have 485 pieces of once fired lapua brass and 15 loaded rounds of factory lapua 139gr scenars. I will be shooting the 140gr Berger hybrid. Can I FL size my brass and seat a bullet without a bushing or do i need a standard seating die to give me a starting point. Any help would be greatly valued. If I left out any valuable info I apologize.

Yes you can full length size and seat a 140 hybrid bullet measure and subtract .001 from the round or the average of 5 rounds.

I am running mine in a .292 bushing for the 260 rem and the same bullet with Lapua brass. I have bushings in .293, .291 and .290 as well.

I use a body die rather than working the necks twice.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Another way is to measure the case mouth wall thickness x2. Add the bullet diameter. Subtract .001-.002" and order a couple of bushings in those sizes. Example: .015" neck thickness x2= .030". Add .264" bullet diameter = .294". Subtract .002"= .292" bushing. Like Scottishkat, I use .292" in all my 6.5's with Lapua brass.

Thanks bob. I'll slap some dummy rounds together this evening. I have 3 lots of brass so I'm hoping my wall thickness doesn't very too much. Do you use the steel bushings or the high dollar bushings? Thanks

Yes you can full length size and seat a 140 hybrid bullet measure and subtract .001 from the round or the average of 5 rounds.

I am running mine in a .292 bushing for the 260 rem and the same bullet with Lapua brass. I have bushings in .293, .291 and .290 as well.

I use a body die rather than working the necks twice.

Bob

What do you do on your hunting rounds? I am having 16.5"-18" barrel spun up strictly for spankin Coyotes out to 500yds. I have a box of 95gr vmax and 100gr HP Sierras. I've never used a bushing die on a hunting cartridge. Thanks for your reply.

Another way is to measure the case mouth wall thickness x2. Add the bullet diameter. Subtract .001-.002" and order a couple of bushings in those sizes. Example: .015" neck thickness x2= .030". Add .264" bullet diameter = .294". Subtract .002"= .292" bushing. Like Scottishkat, I use .292" in all my 6.5's with Lapua brass.

For Lapua brass I'd buy .288 and 287 bushings, a .288 is likely all you'll need. My x47's loaded with bergers measure .290 and the .289 bushing doesn't give me enough bullet tension for comfort in a repeater.

A FL bushing die without a bushing will not size the neck, only body and shoulders and pushing a bullet into fired brass is not a reliable way to get loaded neck dimension. Disregard if you meant you have a standard non-bushing FL die to do the FL resize. If that is the case you could measure the neck diameter of sized case (assuming you use expander button) and get a good idea of bushing size needed.

Disregard my question about sizing brass without a bushing. I answered my own blonde question by simply looking at a blueprint of my die. On another note I do have access to a standard FL RCBS die. Also from the research I've done most people are running a .287-.299 bushing with this particular combo. Getting home will be like Christmas. Can't wait

Westex, I use the titanium nitride bushings after resizing the case in a body die no need to lube the necks with the .292 and lapua with my 260. If you are going to run Remington brass you will need a smaller bushing.

If you are reloading for an AR a tighter neck tension is probably desirable.

Bob

Thank you all for your help. After finishing my honey do list I was able to spend some time at the bench. I took 5 cases from all the batches of brass. Every case was identical which really suprised me. I guess that's the quality you pay for when buying Lapua? Anywho, every round measured .290" with a 140gr Berger Hybrid. Gonna crap shoot here and just order a .288. Again thanks for all the help. I have a new question that I will post in a separate thread.

Thank you all for your help. After finishing my honey do list I was able to spend some time at the bench. I took 5 cases from all the batches of brass. Every case was identical which really suprised me. I guess that's the quality you pay for when buying Lapua? Anywho, every round measured .290" with a 140gr Berger Hybrid. Gonna crap shoot here and just order a .288. Again thanks for all the help. I have a new question that I will post in a separate thread.

I think 0.002 less than a loaded round is the best place to start.

288 is all i ever use for x47L. That lapua x47 brass will spoil you! My first 200 are through 4 relatively warm firings - they've only grown .003", the primer pockets feel new, the extreme spread on the 50 I weighed was 1.0 grain, and most necks are as consistent as my turned neck brass..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.