questions about redding dies???

grit

Ok. I have a couple questions.
As I understand, the advantage of the bushing style dies is they allow you to resize the neck as little as possible, without an expander ball. This improves concentricity and thereby accuracy. Is this correct?

The advantage of the competition seating dies is they have a floating sleeve which allows for better bullet - case alignment, and the bullet depth is controlled by micrometer adjustments, making them easier to set. Is this correct?

What is the advantage of the neck and body set, compared to the s-type full length set with competition seater?

Price for Reddding competion rifle dies = $200+ and $64 for bushing set. Does this sound right?

I have a factory Winchester in 270 win. This rifle will shoot Remington premier core-lokt ultra 140's (factory ammo) into 5/8 -3/4" at l00 yards. I want to shoot long range 500-1000 yards with this rifle, as I believe it has the accuracy potential necessary. Are the competition dies necessary for shooting these ranges?

I was under the impression I could produce superior- to- factory ammo with standard dies?

The advantage of the bushing die is you can change the bushing and therefore the amount of sizing you do to the necks. They come with an expander ball but you can remove it. The less you work the brass the more likely it is to remain concentric, provided your chamber is concentric too.

The floating sleeve is the main advantage to the seater and yes it helps maintain alignment. The micrometer top is a helpful guide in seating the bullet but don't count on it to accurately depict what happens all the time. Variation in neck tension, doughnuts, rough necks, compressed loads and other factors can make the bullet seat different from the setting.

The advantage to the neck and body set is you have more control over what gets sized and when. If you aren't using a semi-auto or really hot loads then you can usually NOT size the body. This lets the case be as close to chamber dimension as possible for better alignment. The body die lets you bump the shoulder back without touching the neck. Some shoot with a tight neck chamber and don't really size the necks (or bodies) at all.

Competition neck die, seater and body die sell for $163 + sh at Midway. Extra bushings $18 ea and you will probably want .001", .002" and .003" under and you need to decide whether you will neck turn or not before getting bushings unless you wish to get several.

Your .270 may do fine at 500-1000, don't know. If your skills at reloading are up to the task then yes you can make reloads that are better than factory loads even with standard dies. Like most things, the better your equipment the easier it gets. You might want to read up on a few things first. There are a some good books out there on setting up long range rifles, precision reloading, and shooting long range. At least read up on the Audette method or ladder method of load developement preferably before you buy equipment. Then there is optimimal barrel timing, optics, and doping the wind.

The bushing dies just allows minimal neck working and hardening while allowing you control the exact neck tension which can increase or decrease accuracy.

The redding comp seater is overpriced compared to the Forester Bonanza micro seater (normally under $50). I like the forester BR FL die converted to bushing ($40) by Jim Carstenson of JLC precision. Go to www.6mmbr.com and look for his die conversions there. Takes a 10-14 days including shipping normally from VA to Iowa and then back.

Some 1k BR shooters are using custom honed tapered expanding mandrels in the dies and confirming neck diameter with precision guage pins to insure uniform neck tension.

BH

Grit,
In order for neck bushing dies to work effectively, necks should be turned, regardless of chamber type.

Any variations in case neck thickness will have a direct influence on neck tension.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.