If your oldee is recoil getting to you

My 338 win mag with a boss has a pencil barrel it's crazy way too thin for a 338 win mag .It has the cheap plastic stock but with the boss I shot a bunch of 1 inch and a few 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards with factory ammo and I didnt adjust the boss .That rifle needs a laminated stock it's 6.5 pounds empty way too light for 338 win mag .It weighed almost the same as the same rifle in 243 win .Mine is a control feed but that rifle was a total mess the scope screws were drilled crooked.I had to replace the whole magazine assembly and trigger guard it refused to work that .The so called stainless finish flaked off and the rifle rusted .That rifle was a accurate piece of crap I like ruger stainless 338 model 77 way better and it was even more accurate. IT was a famous Skelton stocked ruger 77 and kicked like a mule I couldn't shoot it and I changed it to a Boyd's laminated stock and it shot perfect super accurate 5/8 -inch at 200 yards with factory ammo super good that was with just a 3x9 Japanese Nikon scope .That Winchester model 70 turned me off to new Winchester and the control feed was picky with it .
I have that M70 338 BOSS cheap plastic, havent loaded for it yet. Saving all my 338 for the Lapua.

I turned 61 and I also have a torn rotator cuff that I have shot with for 30 years. I had been hunting with my Ruger 338 mag for 35 years .I use to shoot that thing 100 times a day but now 5 times is about too much .That gun needs a muzzle break .
I started using my 260 Ren savage model 10 for kids about 10 years ago .I kept shooting it to check the site in and just kept shooting tiny groups and had fun shooting it .I use to shoot my 416 rem mag a ton of times at the range but its sat in the closet alot these days .It get older toting 10 pound rifles hunting too .I just bought a kimber model 84 in 6.5 cm if I can get it to stop jamming I will try it hunting .
I just wondered if any of yall had to reduce recoil when you got older .I am sticking a good muzzle break on my 416 and 338 wm so I can shoot them more .
Definitely get a good brake! I'm closing in on 70, and I can shoot my RUM all day. I'd recommend one from LRCustomsinc.com. It's a very efficient brake. I still have my old 700 BDL in 30-06, unbraked. Less than a box, and I've had enough!

Yeah, have a Sako in .300 RUM that is a prime candidate for a brake. I never liked brakes that much but my attitude is starting to change. I just did a range session with that thing and got reminded how much it sucks off the bench.

dgr416, I got around to "guestimating" the weight of our rifle, and measuring barrel diameter at the muzzle.

Weight: 7. 2 pounds….though when the stock was shortened, a filler was added in the hollow stock to help with new pad mounting. May have added a little weight.

Barrel Diameter: 24" barrel measured at muzzle 0.580"

Yours at 6.5 pounds is definitely light……Wow! But, should be a pleasure to carry! 😁 memtb

It sucks without the brake that was without the boss on it and I only shot it once like that. I THINK the boss weighed about 8 Oz. IT KICKS like a 270 to me with the boss but that barrel is way to thin for a 338 win mag .I got a ruger 77 in 338 win mag down to 6.5 pounds with a plastic stock it will take your fillings out .It's getting a laminated stock and a extra boss system I have .I have a rem 700 guide gun in a hs precision stock thats 7.25 pounds but it kicks less than my model 70 in a walnut stock .It's something about the shock waves .I had to pry that win model 70 with the boss from two friebds hands in Alaska they loved it .They both said it didn't kick with the boss and was super accurate .I liked my Weatherby accumark so much in 338-378 in Alaska I just let my friend Loyd use my 338 win with the boss the whole time I was there. I AM MAKINING A ruger 77 laminated with boss system that is cromed .I like the thumb rang safety I hate model 70 Safetys they will get you killed on a bear charge.

It sucks without the brake that was without the boss on it and I only shot it once like that. I THINK the boss weighed about 8 Oz. IT KICKS like a 270 to me with the boss but that barrel is way to thin for a 338 win mag .I got a ruger 77 in 338 win mag down to 6.5 pounds with a plastic stock it will take your fillings out .It's getting a laminated stock and a extra boss system I have .I have a rem 700 guide gun in a hs precision stock thats 7.25 pounds but it kicks less than my model 70 in a walnut stock .It's something about the shock waves .I had to pry that win model 70 with the boss from two friebds hands in Alaska they loved it .They both said it didn't kick with the boss and was super accurate .I liked my Weatherby accumark so much in 338-378 in Alaska I just let my friend Loyd use my 338 win with the boss the whole time I was there. I AM MAKINING A ruger 77 laminated with boss system that is cromed .I like the thumb rang safety I hate model 70 Safetys they will get you killed on a bear charge.
Interesting comment about the M70 3 position safety. I have never been in grizzly or any other dangerous game area, and I think I understand it would probably be easier to push a tang safety forward. Wouldn't it be just as easy if you had the M70 safety in pusition 2? Just thinking out loud

Last edited: