If your oldee is recoil getting to you

Shooting lots (I mean LOTS) of rounds through a heavy recoiling hunting rifle is necessary. Notice ….."hunting rifle"! Only enough rounds through it to remain proficient with it.

I'm sure that most of us, even me, have rifles/cartridges than can be fired hundreds of rounds with no ill effects…..well, except for the rifle!

There are rifles/cartridges to burn-up rifle barrels by shooting thousands of rounds through…..and then there are hunting rifles! JMO memtb

I'm only 48 and not recoil sensitive, but that said I don't particularly like it. Lol
I've started shooting everything suppressed and it helps a lot. Especially with the brake on the end of the can. Majority of my hunting is 6.5 cm or 308. Just got a 7 prc a couple months ago and at 14 pounds with the can it's a kitty cat.

I had a salty ol dog shooting coach in high school from AK.As he aged had vision problems and had to teach himself to shoot left handed.He was more than a gun nut, had a shooting lab.I stopped by and he was shooting his 378 wby. I asked why? If I can shot this left handed I can shoot anything.

I'm only 48 and not recoil sensitive, but that said I don't particularly like it. Lol
I've started shooting everything suppressed and it helps a lot. Especially with the brake on the end of the can. Majority of my hunting is 6.5 cm or 308. Just got a 7 prc a couple months ago and at 14 pounds with the can it's a kitty cat.

Just got a 7 prc a couple months ago and at 14 pounds with the can it's a kitty cat.

I'll bet it is! memtb

I had a salty ol dog shooting coach in high school from AK.As he aged had vision problems and had to teach himself to shoot left handed.He was more than a gun nut, had a shooting lab.I stopped by and he was shooting his 378 wby. I asked why? If I can shot this left handed I can shoot anything.

I understand his thoughts exactly! I've shot all of my stuff from the "weak side"…..except my hunting rifle. I've wanted to for years….just never did it! think that I'm becoming a wuss!

I really need to do it, and hope to survive the experience! 😁 memtb

Not yet……but a shoulder injury can alter a lot of things a person may be able to do!

That said, with age I don't shoot as comfortably with my rifle as much as I used to. Of course, some of this is due to cost and availability of components. 🤔

However, aside from a shoulder injury, I do have a theory about increasing age and shooting the high recoilers becoming difficult/painful. With age, most of us have simply lost the muscle mass and density we had as younger men.

I think/believe that working on physical fitness, especially developing muscle strenght/density/conditioning in the upper body especially the upper arm, neck and shoulder regions can help mitigate the effects of shooting the "hard kickers"! But as usual…..I have no factual data to verify my hypothesis! memtb
That makes sense.

As a younger man who was a pastor to many older men and women I did observe a certain overall loss of ability to shrug things off in general too, regardless of muscle mass differences. Depended entirely on the individual, no hard fast age number, but there's a definite diminishing of how fast a person recovers from things, and maybe that's true of a hard recoil slam too, I don't know. It reminds me of this one guy i knew, he has since passed, who was stoic as could be his whole life and then one day finally couldn't take it (winter in Saskatchewan) anymore and complained "**** IT IT'S COLD!" (In the church parking lot after the service 🤣). I asked "are you all right Harry?"
"Oh yeah I'm fine I just…these winters never used to be this cold. I'm sick of it" (he lived here his whole life and was well accustomed to them)

I replied "I thought you told me the other day us young punks didn't even know what a real winter was, that they used to be COLDER!"

"Well I still think they probably were but I guess I just didn't feel it so much back then" 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Muzzle breaks first then I'm ordering my first "can". 7RM is my largest kicker which really ain't bad. The others are 6.5, 6mm calibers. The one can should work on all of these.
It is sad that in many countries with strict gun ownership, suppressors are considerd a hearing protection aid, and sold over the counter. Too bad our elected officials get their information from the movies and made it so complicated for us.

I have one totally blown shoulder and the other has torn rotator and permanent nerve damage. It seems like the older I get the bigger my hunting rifles get.
But I am getting heavier longer barrels with a break which really seems to help a lot.
Used to feel like my brain was getting scrambled being behind a 50bmg for a 12-18hr day, so I really don't like being behind the trigger of the 50 anymore.

I don't see how you guys do it without blinding and deafening concussion trauma, Victor 3.
A .50 BMG is about 3x more than I like, I don't care if it weighs 40lbs it ought to have a blast shield. Those airwaves have some knockdown power too, on us.
Or shockwave I guess is more accurate

There IS, NOTHING, on this Planet that, CAN'T be Killed with, a 6.5 Creedmoor, USING, the RIGHT Bullet at, a "Reasonable Range"
IF you can properly,.. Stalk / HUNT, the Animal and KNOW exactly,.. "Where" to, PUT, the Bullet !
The Swede's have been using, the 6.5x55 for,.. MANY Decades,.. ON,.. Everything !!!
My Polar and Brown Bear friends are calling BS on that and they said their Lion and Cape Buffalo pals agree with them for the first time ever. Why don't you try it and let us know how it works. Be sure and put the needmore in your will for someone. There's a name for those that think a needmore is fine for everything including the tops of the food chain - you're dinner.

Recent Posts