If you decided to build a competition rifle today...

StarvinPilgrim

For discussion's sake...and because I've been kicking around the idea of selling my boat that gets used 2-3 times a year.

There's a new 1200 yd range going in close to me and I think it would be fun & challenging to start shooting in some of the events.

If you were to build a 1000 yd bolt gun what would you put into it?

Obviously 7mm STW :D

Action
Barrel
Stock
Trigger
Optic
Mount

I realize this is a hunting forum but I'm interested in hearing what you guys would build for this.

Last edited:
tagging in...
I've just started building customs on remmy lh actions.... my 7stw is done and I'm building my lh 300 rum into a new toy now that I have a rem lr in 300rum

I'd like to hear both the budget and deep pockets ideas myself...

This is what I did for my 7stw....

LH rem 700 trued action
Shilen Select Match 8" twist barrel (#5 contour)
ptg 1/4" recoil lug
Boyds laminate stock
Timney trigger
ptg firing pin assembly
Chamber punched with a new Manson reamer

This was the thread for my 7stw build...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f126/7mm-stw-build-progress-154488/

If you were to build a 1000 yd bolt gun what would you put into it?
Obviously 7mm STW :D

Action - No, not a 7mm STW. I'd want a rifle that offered me a longer barrel life.
I'd probably go to either a .284 Win (old reliable) or a .260 Remington. This is a competition rifle, not a hunting rifle.
Barrel - Bartlein 5R (with appropriate twist rate for caliber/bullet)
Stock - McMillan A2,A3, or A5 (prefer A5)
Trigger - Timney
Optic - NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR
Mount - Nightforce 20MOA Rail with Burris Signature Rings with Inserts

gun) - - - - - - - - (X)

What "events"? The rules dictate the rifle. STW is pretty much wrong for any competitive event, good hunting round though.

I'm about 2 weeks shy of delivery of my 280 Ackley from a smith I trust in SD...

Was originally a 280 Rem CDL SF.....
Using the action with a PTG lug, #5 BRUX 1-8 26 in finished.
Vias Brake,
top end opened up to accept the larger screws (8-40?)
Nightforce 15MOA base
Vortex Viper HS LR 4x16x50
No idea on rings yet
Boyds Maple AA grade Classic Prairie Hunter stock

For me if a 1200 range was opening up near me and I wanted to shoot events, That Ruger RPR would be very tempting as a starting point. Shoot it as is to see if you like that kind of shooting then upgrade or go custom. 6.5 or .243 would be much more affordable and enjoyable to shoot as well. Optic wise a Burris XTR II or a NightForce NXS would be a great place to start depending on if you want FFP or SFP.

Building any competition rifle off of a Ruger is like giving a kid a 10 foot long dildo.
Not very smart, and will lead to VERY bad things.

Some very good points. The only reason I was thinking STW is because I already load & shoot it but I like the Creedmor option also. I've heard a lot of good things about the RPR but I really want a good, "old fashion" bolt gun I don't know why but I have a bad taste in my mouth for a bolt gun in a pistol grip or thumb-hole stock. It's not natural Dammit.

Your shoulder isn't going to take it, nor is the rifles throat...never mind the fact that others will be shooting alongside you... courtesy is the best policy.
284 class/260-308 class cartridges are best.
Soft on the shoulders and ears, and will last a HEAVY year in competition.

One hard run with a 7STW, and you've likely taken 1/2 the barrel life and pitched it out the window.

First you need to say what type competition. That will determine what action and caliber.

Magnum calibers are not competitive in some comps and are expensive to shoot due to bullets powder and barrels. Others the can work. In the 7 stw forget it all together as comp caliber

Either way absolutely no way in hell I would build a comp gun on a 700 action particularly a magnum with that **** riveted extractor. Waste of money and potential competitiveness.

Well honestly I can't say which events because the range is currently under construction. I would just like to be able to dip into long range competition.

You guys have some great points and now I realize that the STW is not a good choice.

Should not take much to find out.

Are they planning steel only targets?

Are they building pits?

One tends to call for a PRS type rifle and the other is full blown comp gun for f class or BR type comps.

If steel I would build a custom action 6.5 caliber. 260, 6.5 creedmoor would top two calibers. Go to PRS website and see top actions and specs. Forget the 6mm as to difficult to spot misses except for top shooters. Surgeon, Stiller or Defiance actions are the norm.

If f class go with an f class gun and stock in straight 284 as they shoot 180 bergers. Panda f class action or BAT

If either 600 or 1k br then 17 lb gun with custom action 7.5 twist HV barrel in 6mm Dasher. Action BAT MB melonited dual port roller ball conversion and dwight Scott firing pin conversion.

All three are completely different builds with different stock requirements, calibers, barrels and setups. All with custom actions with different specs and same for everything in the setups.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.