At the beginning of a build.

Tjscharp

I am at the beginning of a build. I am a machinist an intend to chamber my own rifle, make my own brake etc.(Finally got permission to use company equipment to do so. :D ) I picked up a donor rifle from an auction which is a Sako AV, which happened to be re-barreled in 7mm STW already. Although the barrel is 26", it is way too thin for my liking.
To anyones knowledge , is there any chassis out there that could be modified, without too much trouble, to fit the AV action?

I haven't decided which barrel manufacturer I will go with at the point, I am certainly open to suggestions, but I am leaning towards either a 1:8 or 1:9 twist barrel for the heavier pills. (Would the 1:8 twist over-stabilize a 140- 150 gr bullet?) I am leaning towards the 175 Nosler long range or the 195gr Bergers anyways, but I would like to keep my options open.

I want a 28" barrel with at least a light varmint profile for the barrel contour.
If you were at the beginning of a build, what considerations would you take into account?
Thank you for any responses.

If you mean the metallic chasis I don't know of anyone who makes one for the SAKO AV. There are some really nice laminate stocks however as well as McMillan composites.

I don't think you're going to have a problem with over stabilization with the 8 twist and really the STW's start to really shine from 160gr on up unless your primary intent is predator hunting at sub 600yds ranges.

With the 140-150gr bullets it's an absolutely devastating coyote caliber but you sure won't be skinning any of them you shoot with it unless they are way, way, way out there.

Thank you for responding.
I was hoping I would have a metal chassis option, being a machinist I have a love of metal.
My current stock is a beautiful walnut, and I cringe to alter it, though my pocket book may force my hand to do so. The stock is super heavy.
I hope to post pictures as my build proceeds.

Thank you for responding.
I was hoping I would have a metal chassis option, being a machinist I have a love of metal.
My current stock is a beautiful walnut, and I cringe to alter it, though my pocket book may force my hand to do so. The stock is super heavy.
I hope to post pictures as my build proceeds.
There are several small shop operations making their own proprietary chasis' so you might just need to do some googling and see if any of them have or would be willing to do one for your action.

With CNC machining as long as they have or can write the program they can do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.