7stw build ???

darrindlh

Okay guys!!!! I currently have a ruger
No1 in 7stw. I want to build a semi custom repeater stw. My thoughts are .... I am going to buy a remington 700 longrange percision in a 300rum and rebarrel it to a 7stw. Will it work? Is the action long enough?

Darrin

yep on the action... I'd shoot the rum barrel out or sell it... The 700lr seems to be an accurate rifle as she is... I would also go with a 8" twist barrel in case you get a hankering for the 195"s...

Okay guys!!!! I currently have a ruger
No1 in 7stw. I want to build a semi custom repeater stw. My thoughts are .... I am going to buy a remington 700 longrange percision in a 300rum and rebarrel it to a 7stw. Will it work? Is the action long enough?

Darrin
Long enough but I think you will need perhaps to change the bolt body as I think the rum has a large boltface.

Look the saami specs up and see if the have the same size case head and that will tell you.

Personally I'd do it on a Montanna 1999 or Model 70 CRF as they are my preferred actions but if already have an action you like go for it.

Chris at Benchmark is who will be doing my next barrel so you might give him a call.

So both bot faces of the rum and stw are .540. Im thinking that i migjt run into problems with the rails of the magazing box. There might be feeding issues. We will see

Darrin

The RUMs uses the same bolt face as the standard magnum...The only difference is the mag box is wider, and the feed rails on the action are wider. Despite the debate, you CAN use a RUM action for an STW. I know this to be fact, as one of my 7mm STW's was built off of a Rem 700 CDL 7RUM action, and it works just fine.

So both bot faces of the rum and stw are .540. Im thinking that i migjt run into problems with the rails of the magazing box. There might be feeding issues. We will see

Darrin
I ran into that with the "Franken Gun". a 300 Rum I put together.

I put a sanding wheel on the dremel and solved it in about five minutes.

You just want to be careful not to go too far or you get into a whole nuther set of problems.

Just check it periodically by dropping a loaded round through top to bottom. When it falls through easily you are there.

Going the other way you should have no problem at all other than perhaps a bit of loose feeding and perhaps the occasional double feed I suppose could be possible but not likely unless it's opened up beyond spec.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.