If you could pick only one cartridge for all NA game except the big bears...

I would vote a 280 AI or 7 SAUM. Perfect combination between long range capability, moderate recoil, fun to shoot, don't have to have a muzzle break. I like the bigger magnums too but for one all-around rifle I wouldn't choose them.

well I guess I will be the odd duck and say 45-70. Its been around for well over 100yrs and has killed small game with a 125gr bullet all the way up to buffalo/grizz with 500+gr bullets. can it shoot 1000yrds?? yeah, does it do it fast??..NO but it will do it. easy to make your own bullets for as well..

Matt

If i could only have one for everything after factoring in different game, different locations, airline problems, etc I believe the '06 would be coming out of retirement..

300WSM,
Everything the WIN has in a shorter case so you get a short action if you want it and it burns less powder.

Unless you have 5" + more inches of barrel you will not equal the 300WM.

I have a 28" 300wsm and it is about 75 to 100 fps behind my 26" 300 win mag with the same bullet.

I'm a big fan of the larger case 30 cals but I hate anything with a belt so I'd probably go 30 Nosler. I've always liked the 300 RUM but the shorter fatter case of the 30 Nosler gives you more room in the mag box to stretch them out.

The 30 N case is not fatter than 300 RUM. They're the same diameter.

300 Win mag gets my vote. For about a dozen different reasons.

Sure can't argue or disagree with that that choice or reasoning. I'll stick to the 280AI which can handle anything in lower 48 and do it with about 10% less powder and recoil than most magnums.

I agree, the 300 Win will do it all, however I do love the 280AI.

I've shot mine to 1200 yards, accurate, easy on the recoil and with proper loadings it'll perform on game at respectable long range distances.

And shooting it suppressed is absolutely incredible!

I love the .280 AI .280 Sherman, 7mm STW, .300 Ackley, .308 Win, and many many other options I own... But if I was forced with the choice to only use ONE caliber rifle to hunt all game in N.A., I would have to go with the old tried-and-true, long-time-proven, reliable, flat-shooting, and potent 7mm RemMag. For 15 years, and still to this day, it is the gun I grab first out of the safe to go deer hunting with. And 9/10 times, probably always will.

I've been shooting a pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in .264 Winchester magnum since 1974, with 140 grain bullets of various flavors. Have taken Dall sheep (2 over 500 yards), moose, caribou, pronghorn, mule deer, and whitetails -- all one shot drops. I've used 7mm Remington up to .375 H&H on various critters, but keep going back to the .264. It works.

Sure can't argue or disagree with that that choice or reasoning. I'll stick to the 280AI which can handle anything in lower 48 and do it with about 10% less powder and recoil than most magnums.

The 280 ai is also my choice. Magnum ballistics without magnum recoil, handles bullets from 120-165 with ease, and is one of the more intrinsically accurate chamberings I have experienced.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.