Ideas for a Reloading Bench

blackco

We recently bought a house that has LOTS of room. I can now have my own reloading room (out in the shop) and I am looking for ideas on a reloading bench. In the past I just used an old military type desk and bolted my press to the top. The problem with that was it was also also my cleaning, planning, fly tying, etc. desk so the presses and powder throwers got in the way. I did a search of LRH and was unable to find anything.

I want to build a dedicated bench for reloading and am looking for ideas on layout, design, materials etc. Any lessons learned or ideas that anyone might have would be gretly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to any inputs given, with this group of people I am sure I will get all the advise I need.

I am not sure of the question? Are just asking about reloading bench? Or are you asking about building one bench to do multiple things on?

I bought a kit from cabelas. It give you the braces. All you do is cut the lumber and screw it together.

Don't have any pictures but I used an old door that was solid wood about 2 1/2 inches thick. Got it from the church someone broke in and tore it up a little, got new doors and I got a new bench.

Got a 2x4 kit from home depot (the braces are a little more solid than if I'd of just nailed it together!) and built the bench with the door as the table top. Left the top hanging out about 8 inches so you can clamp stuff down, bolt your press down and what not. Used a peg board back so you can hang all the little tools, shell holders, etc and get to them easy. Put a few shelves on for dies, powder, primers, reloading manuals, etc.

I think however you want it is best for you. I never really planned to much on mine, I wanted it big enough to spread stuff out and not be crammed tight and unorganized. Other than that just went to building and I love it to death, wouldn't have it any other way. Make sure your bench is solid because your press of course puts the wood under some stress when you crank down on big brass.

I'm not a big time shooter but I love loading and my bench is my most favorite piece of furniture!! Beats the desk at work anyway.

Colby

The fifth edition Nosler reloading guide has several
pictures of reloading benches starting on page 25
that may help with some ideas.

I like my press on the extreme right with all other
equiptment in the order of use starting from the left
with room in between each for loading blocks and other
tools.

Some equiptment can be removed for more room when
needed (Like sorting brass).

All powder is stored and only the one being used is
on the bench this also includes primers.

I hope this helps
J E CUSTOM

Colby

PS:
I would recomend making the bench standard desk height
so you can use a comfortable office type chair instead
of a stool.

Also you can buy prefabed kitchen cabinets for top storage
and install your lighting under them.leave about 16 to 20"
of space between cabinets and bench top for workspace.

If you cant find a heavy bench (dont go lite) build it your
self . Use 4x4,s for legs,2x4,s for bench frame and braces
and 3/4" plywood minimum for top of bench.

Leave the bench open underneath for heavy stuff(ammo cans,
brass,lead shot, Etc).

Good luck on your project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
J E CUSTOM

Here's mine,Got it from Depot and Laminated the top to match the safe.It's a Stack-on,but sears sells some of the same things.Works great for all my stuff.
496657.jpg

When I put together my latest loading room (just build a house and I dedicated a large closet for my loading /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) I made sure to have three sepperate things: One totaly solid and sepparate small bench that will hold my electronic scale so as to keep vibrations down; a solid press block for the resizing process; A series of shelves to keep my loading information close and handy.

or you could loose your mind completely and build a behemith of a bench. I kind of went overboard because of a shaking reload bench a few years ago, got out my welder,paint gun and wood finishing materials and tools and 3 weeks later I had this group of benches one thing is for sure I will never have to build another bench again these all come apart so they can be moved

Rh [image]http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2091760520[/image]
I tried to place a picture on hear This is the address I'm not sure why the picture isn't on the entry.
Rh

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.