reloading bench ideas

midwesthunter

Looking for ideas on building a new work bench. Current set up is small and want to do everything in one place. Plan on running my rock chucker and my progressive pistol press. On same bench. Also want to be able to work on rifles if possible. Was planning on making bench 9' wide by 36" deep. Thinking I would be better off setting presses on opposite sides of the bench. My old bench has a steel work surface. Was going to make new one out of wood. Thinking 1/2" plywood would be the new surface. Anyone have any pictures of there set up?

I bought one of these;

Sears.com

Built a metal frame with leveling bolts in the legs and screwed the wood down from the bottom so no bolts showing from the top. I drilled holes for my presses and put blind nuts in the bottom for the bolts so the press can be removed and leave a smooth surface sans the holes.

It's a good looking piece with a good finish but the wood is not hardwood so it dents if you bang on it.

Midwest, used doubled 3/4 white Formica covered board glued and screwed together. Used 1X3 for back and sides. The white Formica is easy to keep clean and small parts are easily seen. The doubled board is nice and heavy for stability.

IMHO 1/2" is not enough thickness to mount a press. Mine is 3/4" plywood, and the presses are mounted though another 3/4" board slung underneath to spread the force.

For normal reloading, this is plenty. When forming wildcat cases on the Rockchucker, I was still getting some flex in the surface.

I built this from a online plan that uses these joint fasteners. Both reloading. Bench and storage shelves are online

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 86
A good reloading bench must be solid
I made mine out of 2x4 s on edge nailed and glued together then ran through an industrial planer. I used 4x4. For legs and added a lower shelf

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.