Reloading/work bench ideas

Blaketh

I am moving into a new house and there are cabinets in the garage with about 60 inches for a work bench between them. I am new to reloading and not sure of everything I need including counter space. I am hoping to be able to make it a multipurpose bench if possible. To reload on and to maybe mount a vice and bench grinder. If that is not possible then shoot it down. I realize that using other tools in the area may put dust on the components. Is it possible to remove the press and such then reattach it when I am going to load? Was thinking maybe making the bench about 40 inches high and then I may have about 2 feet of space on top to put shelves and then put some storage/shelving under the table. I can get pictures and measurements when I go back to the new house. I dont really want lead components in my house since they are harmful but, if you all think its safe then maybe I can make a seperate bench for inside my house.

I recently installed a new bench and used an Inline Fabrication flush mount that allows me to use different plates for the various things I use. Just ordered a new plate for my Auto Priming tool. If it creates much of a mess I do it in the garage- trimming, tumbling, and annealing when I finally get set up for that.

You should be fine to combine the space, just make sure you don't have any clutter when you're reloading.
I believe there is a detachable plate kit available for the press... I could be wrong. If there isn't, then you can drill your mounts and use wing nuts for a quick detachment.
The other hardware that you may consider mounting is your case trimmer. Mine is bolted down, and it sure saves my shoulder when I'm processing my brass.
Storage shelves are a great asset to a reloading bench, I highly recommend them. It allows you to keep things organized and will make safer habits easier if reloading multiple calibers.

You can make or purchase mounting plate systems for easy and repeatable removal and installation of various components. My primary concern would be that of the bench grinder and component storage. You will want to ensure the emery/ aluminum oxide dust and particles from grinding don't get on any of your reloading equipment. It will scratch your dies and prematurely wear out your press ram as well as damage jeweled surfaces of precision scales and other precision tools. Uncertain of your temps as well. I reloaded in my garage in Wisconsin for years, but I had a separate area and dedicated bench for it. The hassle was always having to store components in the house and bring it all out to reload and then bring it all back in either each time or season. There is alot to be said for being set up in a more climate controlled area. Large temp swings and humidity are all detrimental to precision reloading. Unless your casting lead, I wouldn't be concerned with lead exposure. Again, I did it for years. We all have to do as our station in life allows. Just some considerations. Good luck!

When I built my reloading room I had the luxury of being able to make a 12 foot long bench. If space is limited why not put the grinder on a pedestal?

As to the bench...I made mine a height that is comfortable for standing as I tend to move around a lot and sitting down isn't an option. The lower shelves are progressively narrower so legs don't make contact and the feet can be a bit closer to the bench. Also made a space for a double decker tool box to fit.

If space is limited IMO your best bet is to get a Redding turret press with extra turrets. You can place all your dies, collet bullet puller etc in the various turrets so you don't have to do any setup work after initial adjustments.

Sounds like you have gobs of room BUT...if you're like me and do any amount of tinkering i.e. welding, carpentry/woodworking, lawn mower and the list goes on lol. That stuff we do in the garage/shop, dust and sparks go places you just can't even think of and that makes a bad combo for precision parts and explosive materials. I do my cleaning and trimming and the like in the shop and everything else is done and kept in the climate control of the house. All my stuff is kept inside and taken out when needed. I built my own little bench about 2.5'x4', with a bit of a shelf system and barstool height. Everything fits in it's place and I have a lot of stuff lol. As with anything most of us get 2ftitis and wish it was a bit bigger like I did lol.

If you do a combo bench I'm sure you will find you wish you would have made a dedicated reloading bench. Depending on what other projects and how much reloading you do. If you tinker a lot and load a little you might get by with a combo. If you start a project that might take a few days to finish and its taking up room on the bench you might end up putting off a reloading session.

Sounds like you have gobs of room BUT...if you're like me and do any amount of tinkering i.e. welding, carpentry/woodworking, lawn mower and the list goes on lol. That stuff we do in the garage/shop, dust and sparks go places you just can't even think of and that makes a bad combo for precision parts and explosive materials. I do my cleaning and trimming and the like in the shop and everything else is done and kept in the climate control of the house. All my stuff is kept inside and taken out when needed. I built my own little bench about 2.5'x4', with a bit of a shelf system and barstool height. Everything fits in it's place and I have a lot of stuff lol. As with anything most of us get 2ftitis and wish it was a bit bigger like I did lol.
I wasn't sure how safe it would be to reload in the house since reloading has lead in it. The climate control would definitely help with the powders though

I recently installed a new bench and used an Inline Fabrication flush mount that allows me to use different plates for the various things I use. Just ordered a new plate for my Auto Priming tool. If it creates much of a mess I do it in the garage- trimming, tumbling, and annealing when I finally get set up for that.
I appreciate that idea, i think I am going to go that route. They seem very simple to use.

When I built my reloading room I had the luxury of being able to make a 12 foot long bench. If space is limited why not put the grinder on a pedestal?

As to the bench...I made mine a height that is comfortable for standing as I tend to move around a lot and sitting down isn't an option. The lower shelves are progressively narrower so legs don't make contact and the feet can be a bit closer to the bench. Also made a space for a double decker tool box to fit.

If space is limited IMO your best bet is to get a Redding turret press with extra turrets. You can place all your dies, collet bullet puller etc in the various turrets so you don't have to do any setup work after initial adjustments.
Would I use a caliber for each turret? I was trying to understand that last night and understand that concept. To me it would be easier to have a turret per caliber then you will never have to adjust anything

If you do a combo bench I'm sure you will find you wish you would have made a dedicated reloading bench. Depending on what other projects and how much reloading you do. If you tinker a lot and load a little you might get by with a combo. If you start a project that might take a few days to finish and its taking up room on the bench you might end up putting off a reloading session.
Thats what i am afraid of, I can reload inside the house as well. I just didnt know how safe if would be because of lead and everything else

I wasn't sure how safe it would be to reload in the house since reloading has lead in it. The climate control would definitely help with the powders though
That's a valid concern. I personally don't cast my own or use cast bullets. Everything I load is jacketed. I'm sure the is an exposure risk with depriming, primers, powders and cleaning but I feel with commonsense it's minimal. I wear latex gloves during those operations just in case and table and floor is hard surface and everything is kept clean immediatly during those stages. Maybe some others can add to this better than me.

The only time I worried about lead was when I was smelting and molding by own lead bullets. I did that in the garage with doors open. I loaded thousands of shotgun shells back when I shot trap, did that inside in my loading room. As far as I know I don't have any issues.

So I will set up a work bench and a reloading bench. I will need a steady bench with a sealant on top to repel oils and make clean up easier and lots of drawers or cabinets correct? This is a even bigger noob question but where can I find out everything I need to buy? I had a hornady starter kit and lost it in the tornado along with manuals. I want to go the buy once cry once route and not have to replace things later on. I have a 300 win mag, 257 weatherby, and will be getting a 28 nosler soon that I will reload for and then i have a few handgun cartridges as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts