I never would have believed it...

Here's a 3 shot group from my AR10 , Aero Precision upper and lower, Craddick, Precision Bartlien bbl, Timney Calvin Elite trigger, JP bolt assay..etc. tried handloads first, was disappointed, then shot Hornady Match 147gr 6.5 Creedmoor....makes me wonder if I should try factory ammo in other rifles.I have some that have never tasted factory ammo.....rsbhunter

Attachments

• IMG_20190905_0627388_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20190905_0627388_rewind.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 108
But you missed the dot......:D

It's getting really hard to beat some of the factory ammo that's out there right now. The majority of shooters now could use factory ammo, unless they're shooting an odd chambering or want to use a specific bullet, and not give up anything in the performance department. It's really starting to make me rethink some of the projects I've had planned lately.
I found the same thing with 143 Hornaday precision 6.5 creed, and was equally amazed...but the price difference will always keep me reloading... especially in Canada but it is nice to know in a pinch that there is great factory available shells now

That's a great group and the specs on your rifle. Hope the ammo holds up for you. Hornady is bad about swapping components on their ammunition such as powder used. And the consistency of their brass.

Thank you. Very interesting shape. I have shot several groups in the .1s and they never looked that perfectly round. Great shooting and great rifle!
And a cold clean barrel ?
You should have bought a lottery ticket instead.

Impressive! About 2 months ago I had the realization that my reloading gear was covered in dust. At this point in my life I have more money than time so I sold the reloading gear because off the shelf ammo shoots less than 1" at 100 in both my precision rifle and my hunting rifle... no where near as small as your group, but perfectly accurate enough for what I need. I'll get back into it eventually, but factory ammo makes it seem kinda useless at the moment.

I found the same thing with 143 Hornaday precision 6.5 creed, and was equally amazed...but the price difference will always keep me reloading... especially in Canada but it is nice to know in a pinch that there is great factory available shells now
Just to clarify when I said I found the same thing...is was talking about a .248 ragged grouping on 6 shots..
Not a single hole...lol...but impressive for me non the less

I've had some awesome groups with Hornady Match 6.5 140 ELDMs. The ES and SDs weren't bad either, like a 17 SD over 30 + shots. I shot it in our PRS style matches with no problems. I sold that gun to a buddy and he uses Black and it shoots great as well.

I tried the Match 108s in my 6 Creedmoor and the groups weren't bad, but the ES and SDs were horrible. Like really bad, ESs over 100 and equally bad SDs. It wasn't just a cold bore shot that threw the stats off either. I probably should have sent the ammo back to Hornady for testing but never did.

But the proof is in the shooting. Build points:

Rem. 700 blueprinted properly
PT&G bolt with mini-extractor and lightened ejector
Bartlein 5R SS 6mm 1:8" twist barrel #4 Bartlein contour 21" in length
Standard SAAMI chamber
Cadex Light field chassis (no bedding)
Jewell trigger 1 lb.

Nightforce 12-42x56 (set at 42)
Atmosphere = 52*, sunny, no breeze, 400 ft elevation.
No recorded velocity

View attachment 156159

Outside to outside = 0.365 - 0.243 = 0.122" CtC

Here's the surprise. I am and always have been a diehard reloader but...

This is Factory Hornady BLACK ammunition: 6mm Creedmoor, 105gr. HPBT!:eek::D
You'll be wearing a grin for many days over that!

Yea, factory stuff can shoot. In another thread about best bang for the buck I posted that I read an article where they were testing the new tikka chassis rifle
.that particular gun AVERAGED .17 with hornady match 140s or 147s. Cant recall exactly which weight, but in the .10s with a brand new factory gun with factory ammo ? Craziness, I tell ya!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.