I need some info on the sightron SI-III???

AtownBcat

I could have the model wrong but it is late and my brain is half asleep....I have an OLDER varix-III 6.5-20 with a 1 inch tube and 40mm obj. It has target turrets (moa). I have sent it back to leuopold and had it checked out.My problem is it does seem to track all that great..im not talking about a box test or anything like that just that it always seems to be an adjustment behind...like an old cheep scope that you have to "tap" to get it to adjust. I have a NF and honestly that just isnt in the cards right now but I thought about selling the leupy and trying one of the new si-iii. Will someone who has both please let me know how they compare. Im looking for something that I can add a little money with what i get for selling the leupy(they seem like they are going for around 600 bucks) please understand that there is nothing wrong with the leupy i just dont think it was meant to be used like the new LR scopes.Thanks.

Atown

The older VX-III's with one inch tubes have a single erector spring whereas the newer model VX-3 one inch tubes have a dual spring setup. The 30 mm tubes from both era's have the dual springs and are more accurate with their adjustments.

I have one of the S-III's and as far as tracking and repeatability, it is very accurate. I would imagine quite a bit more than what you are used to with your older VX-III. The MOA adjustments on the S-III's are spot on. I have talked to one of the Sightron techs in the past and he said the S-II's use the same turret system and are just as accurate as the S-III's. I don't have any first hand experience with this though and haven't talked to anyone who has one. The S-III is a very accurate and reliable scope.

I have one of the VX-III 4.5x14x40 LR models with the 30mm tube and find it to be pretty reliable as well. In comparing this with the S-III, I'd have to give a slight advantage to the S-III. I think it is just slightly more accurate with it's adjustments. Hope this helps.

I just got a reply from Sightron on this same exact subject. I posted it in a different post but here it is anway:

[FONT=&quot]The SI is our low end model of scope. It has 4 layers of coating on the exterior lens and 1 layer on the internal lens. The SI is designed for low to medium recoil action. The light transmission is 86%. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The SII model has the Exactrack windage and elevation system, 7 layers of coating on the exterior lens and 4 layers on the internal lens. The light transmission is approximately 93% [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The SII Big Sky is the upgraded models of the SII original line of scopes. It still has the Exactrack windage and elevation system, 7 layers of coating on the exterior and interior lens, more eye relief than the SII model, we redesigned the adjustable objective, added more minutes per revolution, has pull up resettable finger adjustable dial turrets on all the hunting models. Light transmission is approximately 95%.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The SIIISS LR model of scopes include a heavier Exactrack windage and elevation system, 30 mm tube diameter, the internal components are all heavy duty, thicker wall tubing, oversized target knobs that can be reset to zero. The SIIISS LR scopes have a side focus adjustable objective dial opposite the windage knob. 7 layers of coating on the exterior and interior lens. Light transmission is approximately 97%.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The SII, SII Big Sky and SIIISSLR Scopes can be used on any firearm.[/FONT]

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.