Sightron SI TAC reviews?

megastink

Anyone own a Sightron S1? I have an SIII atop my Savage .270 Win and I love it dearly, but we're talking a much different price range. But I'm looking for something to put atop my nephew's Savage .243 so we can touch Coyotes at 300 yards.

I ask because I saw that Sightron has *new* listed on their site this:

Sightron Riflescopes SI Hunter Series SIH-TAC412X40AOMD

Very excited to hear reviews from you guys. Thanks!

I'm not certain, but from the looks of it the only thing different is the addition of the tac turrets. I've thought of trying the SI out as it seems like it's a decent less-expensive scope from what I read, but don't own one to give you a real opinion.

IMO, I'd rather not have exposed turrets for hunting coyotes. It's often a quick response shot anyway and I'm better at memorizing the different drop points on the reticle (prefer mil-dot, but could be other BDC type) and then making the quick shot. You rarely have time to crank turrets and calculate distances...another reason mil-dot and some others are handy is you can get a fairly accurate distance based on the size of what you're looking at once you know the system.

BTW the non-TAC SI hunters are about $40 less than the TAC version.

I have an S1 that I bought off a friend to put on a Contender 30/30Win carbine. He had it on a heavy kicker and it stood up to the recoil very well but the short eye relief scared him. The sight picture is a little lacking but that should be expected from an entry level scope. I wouldn't hesitate at all to make a 300 yd. shot looking through my S1.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts