I just cant eat this.

Had an uncle that use to take me duck hunting every fall. He would shoot anything that flew. Coots were especially on his menu list. Dad always said that anyone that would shoot Coots apurpose could not be too bright. We would set out in my uncles homemade wooden boat with a canvas top on it with these zippered holes in the canvas and a layer of woven reeds covering the canvas and shoot coots all day long and about noon he would always get out the little Coleman stove and cook up a couple jars of his awesome homemade chili that would just about take the hide off your tongue from the chili peppers in it. One day I made mention of dad's comment on Coots not being any good to eat and how dad didn't think it was the smartest thing in the world to do. My uncles comment was How long you been hunting ducks with me boy? I answered about 5 years. How long you been eating my special chili? I said about the same amount of time. His last comment was "What kind of meat do you think is in that special chili?
Nuff said, never did tell dad what was in that chili as when I talked my uncle out of a couple jars of it Dad was one of the first ones at the pot to dish some up.
Ever since then I always remember one thing. Chili can kill the taste of just about anything.
Now there is one bird that I can't eat and that is Grouse. Sand hills grouse can just about gag me and taste's like sage and liver mixed together. Put it in chili and its OK, I'm coming to dinner.

I have found that any game bird goes great in a perloe. Chop up a pound of Bacon, a yellow onion, and a few cloves of garlic and cook it in the bottom of a pot with about a stick of butter and lots of garlic slt and pepper till its cooked soft, add 8 cups of water and 3lbs of boned out goose. Boil till cooked. Add 4 cups of uncooked rice. Cover on low for 20minutes. Serve with soy sauce. Good stuff. Definatly a rib sticker

I have found that any game bird goes great in a perloe. Chop up a pound of Bacon, a yellow onion, and a few cloves of garlic and cook it in the bottom of a pot with about a stick of butter and lots of garlic slt and pepper till its cooked soft, add 8 cups of water and 3lbs of boned out goose. Boil till cooked. Add 4 cups of uncooked rice. Cover on low for 20minutes. Serve with soy sauce. Good stuff. Definatly a rib sticker

I'll have to try that...

I second jmden. That sounds great.

My Canadas usually get turned into jerky and smoked. I'm fond of slicing the meat, sandwiching it between two jalapano slices with some pepperjack cheese, wrapping the whole thing in bacon and grilling it.

The sky carp (snows) can fill your freezer full of jerky for a year!

I second jmden. That sounds great.

My Canadas usually get turned into jerky and smoked. I'm fond of slicing the meat, sandwiching it between two jalapano slices with some pepperjack cheese, wrapping the whole thing in bacon and grilling it.

The sky carp (snows) can fill your freezer full of jerky for a year!

The species makes a big difference. Snows are absolute garbage. Sausage and other processed meats are the only way to make it palatable. Never had canada so..... Barbellied or specklebelly or white front geese are actually pretty good. You don't have to mix it with 300lbs of garlic and onion and chili sauce to choke it down.

Teal and woodies are the best. Followed by grays and mallards and such. Divers or blubills are toilet water. Ringnecks are the absolute bottom of the barrel.

I don't know if its me or what, I just cant eat wild Geese. am I missing something?
I slow cooked the breast meat like my friends told me and I just had to step back.

Geese are like a lot of other game if it is not prepaired it is to strong for most people to eat.

There are a lot of recipes that will taste good to some and not to others and even certain
geese taste better than others.(I like the Specs the best).

I will say that most wild game has the fat under the skin not in the meat like beef so I always
remove the skin for a better taste and any marinates will normally improve the taste (Or tame
the wild taste down). but when you do this you have to take steps to keep it from drying out
while cooking.

A simple recipe for Snow geese is to breast them out. rinse well in cold water, cut in strips(The
size of chicken strips/tenders) submerge in butter milk(Regular milk if you don't like butter
milk) and a couple of eggs with a little garlic salt and let set 3 or 4 hours or more in the
refrigerator and when ready to cook dip in flower and fry fast till done (Dont over cook any
game or it will be tough). all of my kids love it this way but won't eat it baked.

Also snow geese makes great chili when ground up.

There are many ways to cook game and you just have to try the different ways and eliminate
the ones you dont like.

Bear meat is the only one that I have not been able to cook to "MY" taste.

J E CUSTOM

Bear meat is the only one that I have not been able to cook to "MY" taste.

J E CUSTOM

Canned bear meat makes good stew meat. Improved the flavor of the bear meat, IMO. I hear it helps to feed bears donuts and pastries for a couple weeks before shooting them. But I always eat the pastries before I can feed them to the bears. :)

Canned bear meat makes good stew meat. Improved the flavor of the bear meat, IMO. I hear it helps to feed bears donuts and pastries for a couple weeks before shooting them. But I always eat the pastries before I can feed them to the bears. :)

I hear you !!! good one.

I have heard that champagne does the same thing but It goes good with the donuts to.

J E CUSTOM

Couple of things learned over the years. One has been mentioned, gut them right
away. Birds start gassing in 20 minutes of dying. Especially if you punched the guts
it's going to taint the meat. The other advantage is , no smell.
I always breast out my geese and ducks and before cooking I brine them for 1/2 hour.
It takes that liver or blood tinge out of the meat.
Lastly is taste. I like strong and kinda tough meat. Eating store bought meat that is
tender is like eating cereal to me. But with geese it took 20 recipes or so before I hit
on one I really like. Ducks we like to stir fry with veggies.
Geese we pan fry in butter with no seasoning, then add a plum sauce or cranberry
sauce and bake until the sauce is piping hot. Cooked medium rare to rare, any more
and it starts getting dry and tougher. for what it's worth.

I remove the breast and slice it in 1/4-3/8" strips across the grain as if making jerky. Then soak it in saltwater for sometimes a week changing the water daily. When you get the blood out you can use it anything calling for meat. I normally make up a stir fry with olive oil, butter, green peppers, onions, garlic and any seasoning handy with Emeril's (homemade) being my choice. The kids even ate it! Heard one from a guy on MD's Eastern Shore but have not tried it yet. Roll the skinned breast in ground coffee and roast over charcoal. His sportsman's association does several hundred a year for a fund raiser and he said there are no leftovers!

We take our snow goose breasts to a guy who makes it just like dried beef. It is delicious, anyone who eats meat loves the stuff. It doesn't taste like waterfowl at all. It tastes a lot like dried venison.

Doenst look like this post has been active lately but heres and idea.
Have been waterfowling for years and found a great tip for cooking ducks and geese. Soak the meat in Coke or Orange juice for 6 hours before cooking. Found this on a website recipe a few years ago and was suprised the difference it made. If making it with any type of fruit sauce or marinade use the OJ, otherwise a bottle of coke, sounds crazy but it works. (ever see what coke does to a new penny)? Was brought up that anything you hunt and kill, you eat. If you dont like the taste, dont shoot. Have ran into many hunters at boat landings asking if anyone wants their ducks "I cant stand the taste of them, we usually just throw them out" and thats the "bad taste in my mouth". Hope it helps, it did for me.

I'll second the coke for a marinade. Works great with a pork roast in the crock pot too! With ducks I marinade them over night in teryaki, stuff em with sliced jalapenos, wrap em with bacon and grill em till the bacon is done. Jalapenos and bacon....can't go wrong there! Thinkin about it, I'm sure you could cook a turd like that and make it paletable...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.