I want to get into duck hunting

• Thread starter Deleted member 112772
  • Start date
Mines about ten years old. Like I said only problem is it sticks a little. Once in a while but

I have an 870 that I've had for over 40 years. Have never had one problem with it. Have different barrels for it. Takes a couple min. to change. Have hunted geese ducks turkey quail and dove with it. Many different chokes. Very versital I . I installed a bell and carlson stock and forend many years ago. It's only 2.75 chamber but a killer. About 7 years ago I bought a Rem Versa Max.. love it. Shoot 3.5 , 3.0 or 2.75. has never jammed on me and less kick than 870. For ducks I prefer 28 in. barrel. For a beginner I'd get an 870.

Yeah, I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. I was thinking like $600 to $700 range.
I don't have a shotgun for hunting. What would be a good entry level shotgun? Any thoughts on it would be greatly appreciated.
If you want to Duck hunt, a 28" is most popular. If you want to shoot a pump a Benelli Nova is hard to beat next as many have mentioned, a Rem 870 0r Rem 887 super mag 3.5"
Since I don't shoot an Auto or O/U, I really can't say.

Best of Luck

I will say, if you have never owned a shotgun or have hunted Ducks before, purchasing a shotgun with a 3.5" chamber and you load that shotgun with #2 3.5" Magnum, after three shots at a passing duck, especially in a pump action, you will have the hell kicked out of you. Hope you don't have false teeth, you would be looking for them in the water. :). I am just saying you don't need a 3.5" Magnum to shoot ducks, I don't think you need it to shoot geese either, but that is my opinion. We all used to shoot and kill them with 2.75" shells. The great thing about hunting and shooting in the USA, we have a plethora of options to choose from, sit back do so some research on what you want, and take your time, the season is over in TX this coming weekend, not sure where you are located, but you have time on your side. After the shotgun, now you have to consider Wader's, Decoys and calls to get you started. I purchased a pair of Wader's from Cabela's for 169.00, they are Cabela's branded and they performed great for me this season, also purchased a dozen decoys from Cabela's, the Northern flight brand and they worked well, what ducks we did see in TX, they landed on the pond with them. I would suggest, if you are serious, get a motion decoy as well. It can add up, but if you like it and enjoy eating wild duck, then you it will be well worth it. Have fun and let us know what you end up getting on your gun, enjoy.

And before I had my shotgun, dad would let me crawl up the bank, slip my single shot 22 on the dam and shoot one sitting on the pond, then he would rush up the pond and shoot them as they took flight. Those were great times, after I goty single shot 410, we would rush the bank at the same time and bust them when they took flight. I remember we would always, when walking up the bank, our barrels would clink just before we topped the bank, man the things you remember when hunting with your dad. :)

I will say, if you have never owned a shotgun or have hunted Ducks before, purchasing a shotgun with a 3.5" chamber and you load that shotgun with #2 3.5" Magnum, after three shots at a passing duck, especially in a pump action, you will have the hell kicked out of you. Hope you don't have false teeth, you would be looking for them in the water. :). I am just saying you don't need a 3.5" Magnum to shoot ducks, I don't think you need it to shoot geese either, but that is my opinion. We all used to shoot and kill them with 2.75" shells. The great thing about hunting and shooting in the USA, we have a plethora of options to choose from, sit back do so some research on what you want, and take your time, the season is over in TX this coming weekend, not sure where you are located, but you have time on your side. After the shotgun, now you have to consider Wader's, Decoys and calls to get you started. I purchased a pair of Wader's from Cabela's for 169.00, they are Cabela's branded and they performed great for me this season, also purchased a dozen decoys from Cabela's, the Northern flight brand and they worked well, what ducks we did see in TX, they landed on the pond with them. I would suggest, if you are serious, get a motion decoy as well. It can add up, but if you like it and enjoy eating wild duck, then you it will be well worth it. Have fun and let us know what you end up getting on your gun, enjoy.
Well said I!! I have some of their insulated waders. A little warmer.
Yes it can get expensive like any hobby but once you have all your gear all you will be buying is shells and gasoline :)
Or until you start upgrading on shotguns...
Oh, don't forget the new Lab pup !
I got a Chessie 6 years ago. Stronger swimmer . I love him. Can't keep him out of water if it's around . Has jumped in bathtub with girlfriend . Warned to shut door . Lol. I loved my labs also. Had a female Chocolate before the Chessie. His name is Whiskey.
Also it's more fun when you go with a buddy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.