I just cant eat this.

I'll second the coke for a marinade. Works great with a pork roast in the crock pot too! With ducks I marinade them over night in teryaki, stuff em with sliced jalapenos, wrap em with bacon and grill em till the bacon is done. Jalapenos and bacon....can't go wrong there! Thinkin about it, I'm sure you could cook a turd like that and make it paletable...

That's good stuff there. The turd of course.

Anyone cooking this stuff sous vide? It's a French way of cooking (I know, I know, but check it out before you put me on your ignore list).

When I lived in Minnesota, there was a drastic difference in the taste of the birds we shot on the water and the ones that primarily were in the fields. Seems the water oriented had a fishy flavor and the field birds tasted much better.

Use the red brick method. It's like this take the meat and a red brick and place in a tupperware container. Add every marinade you have in the frig the place in frig for to weeks. Then lightly grill the meat. When meat is properly cooked throw it to the dog and eat the brick

100% with you on that one! You can wrap a pinecone in some good bacon , grill it, and it will be the best pinecone you've ever had! Never tried coke with pork roast but I will now. Usually do my duck with a brandy and strawberry jelly sauce, or bacon wrapped kabobs.

i didnt read all 5 pages but has anyone suggested cutting the breasts into bite sized peices, breading them and then deep frying them? i like them really well this way.

And I thought I tried almost every way to cook duck and geese but have never tried that! Thanks for the idea, will definately be on the list to try this fall.

If you don't like the taste of waterfowl:
1) Save it all up and grind it will your big game scraps to make awesome smoked sausages or grinder jerky. (you'll yield more and never know it there)

If you're ok with a milder waterfowl taste:
(a day soak in a dairy product does wonders; Buttermilk, sour cream, yogurt, regular milk or whatever you have on hand)

2) Cook it into chili; cubed or shredded
3) Slice it very thin and fry it with onions, bell peppers and mushrooms. (not as gamey but like liver and onions)
4) Slice it into strips/cubes and make Stroganoff, Goulash or Stew

I used to average 50 geese and 100 ducks a year. My wife hates the strong waterfowl flavor.
With these options, she never complains. Not about the food at least!

Came home from a hunt with 17 Canada's, two day hunt, early season limit of 8 per day. The guy next door asked what I planned on doing with them. When I cooked a few I brought some to his house and asked him to try it. I said if you don't like it spit it out, I would not be offended. He thought he was eating roast beef. The color and texture are similar to the goose breast. I braze (not sure of correct spelling) I cut them into slabs 1" thick, brown in bacon fat, place in a cast iron pot (dutch oven) put in one large onion, 3 cloves garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, 1 cup of wine (anything you would drink is ok) and the bacon that |I got the fat for browning from. Place in a 300 ' oven for 3-4 hours. It comes out fork tender. I prefer goose to any other wild game. This is how my Italian grandmother used to cook it. Fan-dam-tastic.

Dino

For a guy raised on corn feed beef and as much of it as i could eat... Goose is not my favorite, but by no means bad eating. Generally we like making jerky, it could be an old gym sock and you couldn't tell, but lately we have taken to smoking an entire breast for a few hours, then serving cold. It tastes like beef, and is great on crackers. However, we only eat so many geese so we can shoot more!

Two things mentioned which were certainties---you can make anything taste good if its jerky or chile. But, I for one like goose and my neighbors clamor for it. I found that with any game, it can't be over cooked. Goose though is best rare.

My wife or I will sear the meat with coarse pepper--rare in the middle. On the side we will make a sauce. She has one using a currant jelly base; I might use a berry jelly and add fozen berries (anything but strawberries) with a red wine, and some corn starch thickner and whatever else you want. After searing the goose breast, put some mozorella cheese and a sprig of basil on the meat, fold the breast around the cheese and basil, and close with toothpicks, and slow cook on olive oil to melt the cheese now in the middle. Pour sauce to your liking on the serving...and enjoy with some brown or wild rice and a bottle of wine (if you really can't eat goose then just drinks more wine and sooner or later you'll enjoy the goose).

Like I said ---big hit in the neighborhood. In fact folks are genuinely disappointed when i return home empty handed. I'm sure it will work on ducks too........coots----back to the jerky and chile :D

:)
I would recommend mariante as follows:

2 goose breasts
Juice of 3 lemons
1/2 cup salad oil
1 1/2 carrots corslet grated
2 medium onions, thickly sliced
4 whole minced cloves
1 tsp sage
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/4 cup parsley
1/4 tsp galic powder

mix ingredients together and pour over breasts, cover and refrigerate 24 hrs.
When removed from marinate it should be drained and wiped clean. Cook as per your tenderness tastes.

NHGriff hit the nail on the head - do not over cook.

We like to marinade the breasts in teryaki sauce, a little brown sugar and spices - garlic powder, onion powder or what ever you like. We then slice oranges and apples - slice them so they are round and about 1/8 to 1/4 thick. Put a slice of apple on one side and orange on the other - use toothpicks to hold them to the breast. Wrap the open edge with bacon - also use toothpicks to hold on. Place on grill turn after a couple of minutes. Cook until the juices just start to turn clear. Be careful not to overcook.

Then throw the breast away eat the bacon, and have the apple and orange for dessert. I make jerky out of all my goose or would that be geese anyway that is about the only way I like them and I have tried them **** near raw.

Rick

As far as mallards go, I really don't remember what they taste like as the kids devour them as soon as they come out of the oven. I have to smack their hands to get a bite. My recipe for all divers is to watch them fly by or watch the new guy, kid, etc. empty their shotgun on them and let them retrieve them and clean them. I let them go because they are tough and not real tasty. For the geese, the best way to prepare and cook them is as follows; Kill, clean, put in the freezer. Then, wait several months until you've bugged your buddy from Louisiana enough to bug his old lady to make some real deal gumbo. Next remove cleaned geese from freezer and take them to friends house. Wait 24-48 hours and return to said friends house for dinner. Problem solved. If you didn't catch the solution, find friend from Louisiana with wife from Louisiana.

I use the breasts for BBQ pulled goose breast. Tastes just like pulled beef.

Brown in a hot skillet on each side (just sear them)
add to slow cooker with a browned chopped onion and browned garlic x 3 cloves
add a 1/2 can of your favorite beer (the stronger the better)
cook on HIGH for about 8 hours
once cooked pull apart and add some of your favorite BBQ sauce
serve on giant cheese buns with a heap of coleslaw

THE BEST GOOSE EVER!!!

The rest of the goose you can grind, add some pork and make you some sausage!!

Or grind the rest of the goose and brown it & add to spaghetti sauce...YUM!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.