I Jumped In!

Captn C

I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the H
I found what I think was sweet deal on a stainless Remington 700 that appears to be unfired. There are no marks on the bolt face or locking lugs. The caliber is a bit different than I planned, I hope it's better choice. Its a 7mmRUM and I got it for $575.

7mmRUM_sm.jpg

Now for a question or two:

Where can I find riffling twist?

What is 7mm bullet has the best BC?
I want to hunt deer at 400 to 800 yards.

What do you think? Decent deal or did I get ambushed?

Jumped in, eh? Now we'll see how well you swim;)

Regarding twist, go to Rem's web site and look up the model it'll tell you in there some place.

What scope is gonna go on it?

I'd recommend a proper barrel break in right off the bat.

With the right load and bullet it'll do some great things. I suppose accubonds would do well.

Looks like you are set and ready to go.

Good shootin'

Captn C,
The specs for the 7RUM from the Remington website say they use a 9 1/2" twist for the RUM which should suffice for jsut about any current 284 diameter bullet out there. $575 was a good deal.

One other suggestion: Don't get really hung up on BC. You said for now you are going to shoot from 400-800yds and you have a good platform to do that with this rifle and a good scope. But use the bullet that is most accurate in this rifle and gives you the terminal preformance you are looking for. I have seen guys run ballistic drop tables over and over before ever pulling a trigger on their rifle. And they make up their minds of what bullet they "want" to shoot rather than what bullet is the most accurate.
Then later on, they come this and other message boards asking questions about why they are not getting the accuracy they expected. Just keep an open mind is all I'm saying and don't get to hung up on the numbers. BC means drop... they build turrets in the scope for a reason. If one bullet drops a few more inches than the other, it only take a few more clicks to get your zero. But you are still zeroed. And the difference in velocity/energy at this range isn't worth worrying about.
Now once you get 400-800yds down pat and go custom and start shooting out past 800yds... then yes BC and velocity/energy come into play a little more. But until then keep it simple and concentrate on important things.

Good luck with your new toy!

Steve

Where did you find that info?
I have been all over the site and never came up with anything.

Remington website select the following:
- Products
- Firearms
- Center-fire
- M700
- Sendero SF II
- Specifications
- (4th column over is labled Rate of Twist for each caliber this rifle is made in)

URL to the caliber specs for a Sendero SF II rifle: Remington Model 700™ Sendero® SF II Specifications

OMT- I seen in one thread that Remington had a bad batch of triggers. Is this one of those that may have issues?

I personally don't have first hand experience with the new Remington triggers yet. I've only messed with the older Remington, Jewel, and Shilen models myself. But I have read the posts also with some concern.
By the looks of your rifle that is an older M700 LSS which they don't make anymore. I don't know which year they quite making the full sized LSS model. But I'm guessing this rifle is old enough that it doesn't have the new trigger in it. But you should probably confirm that instead of me speculating on it.

Steve

Thanks for all the info.

I know I didn't use good sense buying the gun without any more info than I had just looking it. But the jewelling on the bolt doesn't have a scratch on, neither does the bolt face. I really thought it was a newer model. Not a mark on the stock either. The gun shop I went to tonight just got the gun in this morning. The sales guy we delt with hadn't even seen it. He was bit surprsed at the price too. I know the factory loading are not ceap and not much in the way of selection, so I'm thinking that maybe why they let it go cheap.

Anyway, I'm a pretty big 7mm fan anyway so that help feed my fire too.

If any one has any pet loads they would like to share or a link to a thread I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Great Buy

Hi those are awsome rifles.

Load it up with H50BMG and 175gr MatchKings and it will take you past 1000yds.

Have the triggervadjusted pillar bedded and float the barrel. Then you can fit a good break but not realy required but it is a top performer that will be awsome.

I would also have a thicker recoil lug fitted so you don't have to rebed it if it is replaced later when you rebarrel .

Cheers Bill
Australia

With repsect ot the trigger question, why dont you email Remy with the rifle serial No: and ask them when it was made? They will tell you if it has the new trigger or not.

Just Cos you think it looked new and now find it is possibly older than you first thought doesn't mean its been fired. A guy recently was selling a boom stick here that was years old and NEVER had a shot fired through it.

I would still run that barrel in as Roy is advising.

A rifle like that would cost $2000+ here new and at least $1400 SH so go figure.... you got a bargain.;)

HP

it looks like a LSS i have one in 300 RUM i paid $665 out the door in a little
pawn/gunshop in mounthome idaho about 4 years ago so yup you got a good deal

JIM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts