I have a 25-06 question??

Alibiiv

I presently am thinking about purchasing another rifle. I have a gunsmith who is popularly known for his mountain rifles. These mountain rifles are in the 5 1/2 pound range and are supposed to be very accurate. He is also recognized for his stock making skills. I have not seen this rifle, however he has told me that he has stocked the rifle in a zebra wood stock. The rifle is built on a Ruger 77 tang safety action (all I own are Ruger 77s) in 25-06, however it has a 20 inch barrel and he is asking $2100 for this rifle. This gunsmith has built a number of rifles for me over the years, I am 100% certain that it will be a tack driver. "If" I purchased this rifle it would be used primarily for whitetail deer hunting out to the 300-400 yard range, and...400 probably would be a poke for where I hunt. If I want to push the envelope for distance I have a very nice, semi-custom Ruger 77 in .270 Ackley Improved (that shoots bug holes at 100 yards) that this same gunsmith built for me. So... "I do not need this rifle" (like who does) I have plenty of them for my hunting needs. I really do respect this gunsmith and respect him for his skills and would not mind having one of his specialty rifles that weighs 5 1/2 pounds. I have never owned or even shot a 25-06, from what I have read they are pleasant to shoot and very accurate. The dilemma that I am having is the 20 inch barrel for the 25-06. If I were to have this gunsmith build this rifle for me it would be using a barrel that was at least 24 inches to get as much muzzle velocity as possible out of this overbore cartridge. Is there a certain given barrel length/cutoff where there is not much more velocity/benefit to be gained based upon caliber as in this one in .25 caliber? There's a lot of good information, experience and knowledge out there on this forum, so I am asking what other's thoughts are about a 5 1/2 pound rifle built in 25-06 with a 20 inch barrel? I'm trying to weigh all of the pros and cons, and... really would appreciate some thoughts and input on this particular rifle/cartridge combination.

Last edited:
Sounds like he built it to handle fast. If that's how you'll use it, it's purpose built and ready to go. Who cares if it is a little slower than a longer barrel? The difference in 20 to 24" is going to be minimal, mid-double digits most likely.

If you were in Kansas and wanted to shoot a mile with it I'd be the very first to say heck no get a 30" tube for it, but sounds like the short barrel is perfect for where you're at.

I'd be more concerned about it having an 8 twist instead of the more common 10 twist. Slower twist is much more limiting than shorter barrel. You can gain back a lot of speed with a mono bullet.

I have a 25-06 with a 22" barrel. It gets 2960 FPS with 177 Gr Sierria Game Kings. Have taken deer and antelope with it at 375 and 420 yards with excellent results. The GK is a kinda soft cup and gore bullet that works well at those distances.
If I had a 24" barrel would probably be getting 3000+ FPS. Guessing that you will see around 2920 FPS with a 20" barrel.

Like QT said, the rifle is probably build for fast handling.

Your biggest problem might be components. 25-06 brass and bullets are hard to come by.

I have a 25-06 with a 22" barrel. It gets 2960 FPS with 177 Gr Sierria Game Kings. Have taken deer and antelope with it at 375 and 420 yards with excellent results. The GK is a kinda soft cup and gore bullet that works well at those distances.
If I had a 24" barrel would probably be getting 3000+ FPS. Guessing that you will see around 2920 FPS with a 20" barrel.

Your biggest problem might be components. 25-06 brass and bullets are hard to come by.
I reload so making brass from 30-06 wouldn't be an issue, but would try to find components. Thank you for the reply.

I presently am thinking about purchasing another rifle. I have a gunsmith who is popularly known for his mountain rifles. These mountain rifles are in the 5 1/2 pound range and are supposed to be very accurate. He is also recognized for his stock making skills. I have not seen this rifle, however he has told me that he has stocked the rifle in a zebra wood stock. The rifle is built on a Ruger 77 tang safety action (all I own are Ruger 77s) in 25-06, however it has a 20 inch barrel and he is asking $2100 for this rifle. This gunsmith has built a number of rifles for me over the years, I am 100% certain that it will be a tack driver. "If" I purchased this rifle it would be used primarily for whitetail deer hunting out to the 300-400 yard range, and...400 probably would be a poke for where I hunt. If I want to push the envelope for distance I have a very nice, semi-custom Ruger 77 in .270 Ackley Improved (that shoots bug holes at 100 yards) that this same gunsmith built for me. So... "I do not need this rifle" (like who does) I have plenty of them for my hunting needs. I really do respect this gunsmith and respect him for his skills and would not mind having one of his specialty rifles that weighs 5 1/2 pounds. I have never owned or even shot a 25-06, from what I have read they are pleasant to shoot and very accurate. The dilemma that I am having is the 20 inch barrel for the 25-06. If I were to have this gunsmith build this rifle for me it would be using a barrel that was at least 24 inches to get as much muzzle velocity as possible out of this overbore cartridge. Is there a certain given barrel length/cutoff where there is not much more velocity/benefit to be gained based upon caliber as in this one in .25 caliber? There's a lot of good information, experience and knowledge out there on this forum, so I am asking what other's thoughts are about a 5 1/2 pound rifle built in 25-06 with a 20 inch barrel? I'm trying to weigh all of the pros and cons, and... really would appreciate some thoughts and input on this particular rifle/cartridge combination.
If you got the money and know what you want why talk yourself out of it? 🤣😁🥴

I bet it does just fine out of a 20. Like Frank in the Laurels said, it's gonna be a tad slower for sure. But it'll still be faster than a smaller case out of the same barrel length. Drives me nuts when people say a 20 inch 300 win mag is no better than a .30-06…yeah maybe a 26 inch 30-06! Compare them in equal barrel lengths and the bigger case pulls ahead hard. Always.

I've heard no shortage of internet drivel and nonsense saying that a 24 inch barrel on a .257 weatherby is a pointless rifle or something like that. Wasted. I don't know. My 24 inch vanguard 257 gets 100 grainers to 3700 FPS so….

DO IT MAN!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have hunted with a 25.06 in a 22 in barrel for a long time. I would not want a shorter barrel. Follow your gut 20' in 25.06 is too short to maximize its velocity which is one of its key selling points. Best of luck!

Last edited:
My wife and I both have 25-06 rifles, mine is a 26" Cooper Custom Classic and my wife's is a 24" Schultz and Larsen. Both shoot the exact same load being 56 grains of Rel 22 in Norma brass with 100gr Sierra GK set off with Fed 210 M primers. The Cooper averaged 3270 fps and S&L averages 3175 fps.

Do you mean 117gr?

The dilemma that I am having is the 20 inch barrel for the 25-06. If I were to have this gunsmith build this rifle for me it would be using a barrel that was at least 24 inches to get as much muzzle velocity as possible out of this overbore cartridge. Is there a certain given barrel length/cutoff where there is not much more velocity/benefit to be gained based upon caliber as in this one in .25 caliber? There's a lot of good information, experience and knowledge out there on this forum, so I am asking what other's thoughts are about a 5 1/2 pound rifle built in 25-06 with a 20 inch barrel? I'm trying to weigh all of the pros and cons, and... really would appreciate some thoughts and input on this particular rifle/cartridge combination.
Brother Raoul, here's my take.

Pros: accuracy, weight (as I get older, I appreciate this), no wait, built by a reputable gunsmith you already know and trust.

Cons: loss in velocity, recoil is more prominent on light rifles (weight is your friend when it comes to felt recoil). IMHO, these are negligible.

The bottom line, IMHO, despite the short barrel, with the right load combination, you can still generate enough energy to harvest your game at your max intended range humanely. Good luck. Brother.

Ed

The .25-06 is a great caliber & the one's I've shot have been very accurate. I like a 24" barrel (dependent upon one's individual needs) but I wouldn't go any longer. That's just me. If you know what you want go for it!