I am at my wits end with this stock!

Darryle

I had Alamo Precision build me a 7mm-08, their Maverick version and I am happy with the rifle and extremely satisfied with their work.

The issue is I cannot get the cheek weld I want. I originally had them mount my Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 in low Vortex Pro Rings, but the Defiance bolt knob hit the Swarovski lens caps. I removed the Swarovski and installed a Leica ER 5 2-10x50mm and the second issue came up, I have very light contact with the comb and absolutely no repeatability when shouldering the rifle.

So I ordered a set of Seekins low rings and a set of Ken Farrell low rings. I could not get the proper eye relief with either scope with the Ken Farrell rings and still couldn't get the proper cheek weld with the Seekins rings.

So I ordered a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3 -15 x 42mm and when I put it in the Ken Farrell low rings, the bolt hits the ocular, so bad in fact, I can only slide the bolt back maybe 2" and the ocular stops it.

I can put the Vortex in the Seekins or Vortex rings, but that puts me right back where I was with the cheek weld issue. Short of having Alamo install an adjustable comb, I don't know how to solve the issue. I could install a cheek riser, but I honestly hate the look of them.

Rifle has the 20 MOA Defiance rail.

I am willing to listen to every suggestion and I really appreciate it. I will get pictures of the rifle with the Vortex mounted tomorrow.

Pictures of the rifle with the Leica mounted showing the comb design

14D0309B-92EA-4502-A5CC-79AB7F7D0E47.jpeg
7ECD7D0F-7AFE-4B09-AC64-5EC958DA7332.jpeg

I hate to hear your issues. APR builds some nice rifles.
It might help if you change to a different style of bolt handle if it hits the scope.
I had to install a cheek riser pad on one of my rifles after going to a 34mm tube scope on it. I found a guy on Ebay that makes a nice leather pad that sticks on the stock using a couple pieces of velcro tape, so it can easily be removed, and won't damage the stock in any way.

Would medium rings make the scope contact better or worse? It seems like your barrel gap is fine, but sometimes you need more height.

Is it the bolt knob hitting only? Is cheek weld ok if you ignore bolt knob hitting?

If cheek weld is ng now, fix that first. Maybe have the stock modified for an adjustable cheek riser.

It is. Pick the combo you want. Give the rifle to the builder and have him do his magic.

This rifle is brand new, from what I can tell at Defiance, they don't have a bolt handle that will give enough sweep to clear.

Cheek weld and sight picture is perfect, the only issue is the bolt is stopped by the handle hitting the ocular.

Medium rings will solve the issue, the ocular diameter is was listed as 1.7" diameter, but even the smallest diameter will not clear with this ring, rail, comb and bolt handle combination.

The only two options I can see are adding an adjustable comb or a lace/slip/bolt on riser.

Thanks

Last edited:
I had Alamo Precision build me a 7mm-08, their Maverick version and I am happy with the rifle and extremely satisfied with their work.

The issue is I cannot get the cheek weld I want. I originally had them mount my Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 in low Vortex Pro Rings, but the Defiance bolt knob hit the Swarovski lens caps. I removed the Swarovski and installed a Leica ER 5 2-10x50mm and the second issue came up, I have very light contact with the comb and absolutely no repeatability when shouldering the rifle.

So I ordered a set of Seekins low rings and a set of Ken Farrell low rings. I could not get the proper eye relief with either scope with the Ken Farrell rings and still couldn't get the proper cheek weld with the Seekins rings.

So I ordered a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3 -15 x 42mm and when I put it in the Ken Farrell low rings, the bolt hits the ocular, so bad in fact, I can only slide the bolt back maybe 2" and the ocular stops it.

I can put the Vortex in the Seekins or Vortex rings, but that puts me right back where I was with the cheek weld issue. Short of having Alamo install an adjustable comb, I don't know how to solve the issue. I could install a cheek riser, but I honestly hate the look of them.

Rifle has the 20 MOA Defiance rail.

I am willing to listen to every suggestion and I really appreciate it. I will get pictures of the rifle with the Vortex mounted tomorrow.

Pictures of the rifle with the Leica mounted showing the comb design

View attachment 311614View attachment 311615
If u just need a little cheek lift, ditch the 20moa rail, and I use Hornady padded check rest, might be enough to get it right for u

Get rid of the 20 MOA rail. It will lower the back of the scope. Not need for a 20 MOA rail with a lot of 30mm quality optics these days.
Do you think ditching the 20 MOA rail and installing a 0 MOA will let me use the Seekins rings?

This leaves me wondering if I won't wind up right back where I am, while bringing the centerline up at the same time bringing the rear down.

I will get some pictures here shortly.

I would add a stock pack and if necessary you can add an adhesive riser pad underneath to increase the height of you cheek weld to match the combo you like best. I use stock packs on all my hunting rifles to keep extra ammo, lens cleaners, drop chart data, allen wrench for scope, etc.

Beautiful Rifle.
Grew up with the mentality that I had to get the scope as low as utterly possible.

Started shooting chasis and getting scopes further away from the bore line. Much more comfortable for me. Especially pursuing long range endeavors.

Raised cheek pieces can be gaudy but super adjustable.

Maybe an adjustable comb like used in shotgun sports will meet the aesthetics you are looking for. No reason a good smith couldn't make it work on a composite stock.

Attachments

• DB39B2EA-9F02-4ACC-9845-8DFEB4F8AE83.jpeg
    DB39B2EA-9F02-4ACC-9845-8DFEB4F8AE83.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 73