I am cursed!

Bravo 4

I must have the worst luck out of anybody I know. Now it has carried over to my rifle scopes. In the past several months I have gone through two of the FFP 3-18 IOR's and a couple weeks ago I had a SFP 3-18 IOR fail on me while getting things lined up for my first elk hunt in less then two weeks. Scott at Liberty Optics has been absolutely great throughout this whole ordeal and told me to pick another scope and he would get it to me in a hurry. I chose a Leupold 6.5-20x56 VX-L and today it arrived. I have never been so disappointed in my life...and remember, I went through three IOR's (which were freaking awesome up till they failed!).
I chose the VX-L long range because it has the dual erector springs like the MK4 and better glass then the VXIII with the same 90moa of adjustments.
I can't believe how big a piece of engineering crap it turned out to be. The glass looks good, it's no IOR by ANY means but just good.
The turrets only have about 65moa worth of adjustments (not 90)and that comes with 5moa per turn...that's right I said 5moa per turn. I should have known something would be messed up when it has 1/10th moa adjustments. These things one may be able to overcome, but the biggest problem is that the eye relief and eye box are so screwy that you almost can't use it on the lower settings. You can't get a solid sight picture. It should have just been built as a 20X fixed scope because with it turned up it is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
+1 for the NXS. But I still stand by Sightron SIII's they are freakin awesome. The SIII's are probably the best bang for your buck right now. You get glass that is on par with Nightforce, 70-120 moa of internal adjustment (depending on model), and the option of a ranging reticle (Mil dot, I wish the offered more reticles). Now these aren't quite as robust as the NXS line but it certainly gets the job done for me.

Last edited:
Oh man, three now. You've caught up with me! Sorry to hear that.

Sorry the Leupold is such a ***. 1/10 Mil clicks? What on earth would possess them to think that's a good idea? I could see that on a BR scope but a BR scope doesn't need to be mounted low so the whole idea of the VX-L wouldn't apply. 5 MOA per turn would kill it for me. I find 12-15 annoying enough, 5 would be a definite no go. Maybe on a mid-range scope where I only held with the reticle, but not one I'd dial with. Hopefully they could put a regular M1 1/4 MOA turret on it. Though it sounds like with the other issues you may not want to bother.

Bravo,
I checked with my local Shaman and he said indeed you are cursed! :D

The other model VX-L's, the 3.5-10 and the 4.5-14 have 1/4 MOA adjustments (not that it helps you...).

I hate to say it but I see different scope in your future...

TAC

Re: I am the worst cursed!

OK, I'll be hiding under my bed...

My Jeep caught on fire and burned to a crisp today!

You're kidding... right?

I don't know about the Jeep, but Leupold should replace their scope no questions asked. Unless it was in the Jeep!

If I end up with a loser scope, I'll now know where to send it to put it to rest.

I had just taken out the EDGE, my 7mag and MOST of my shooting gear. It caught on fire about 200yards from our newly purchased log house...thank God for that.

By the way, Bushnell range finders aren't fire proof...

neither are plastic gun cases! LOL

On a better note, and this was before the Jeep burned down, I did call Leupold and told them that I was leaving for an elk hunt in a few days and needed a replacement. They are overnighting me a loaner. Can't beat that for CS.

I'd suggest making sure your Life Insurance is paid up and taking a couple pints of your own frozen blood with you on the hunt. Can't be too careful! Oh, and maybe a fireproof suit!

:D

Seriously, good luck on the hunt. ;)

Well thanks Jon, I feel better already! :DLOL

Maybe I can talk my wife into a Swaro Laser Guide. I have a back up 800 model that I've had for about 8 or 9 years. Looks like it'll be going with me, if I make it that far...:rolleyes:

Good gosh, Bravo 4. What the heck is going on?

I got your message over the weekend. We had a few tables at the Kalispell gun show and we were covered up. Sorry for the slow response.

I'm glad Lupy is stepping up. Sorry about the Jeep. Was it a electrical issue?

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.