I am so confused

I think you will be really pleased with the LR Leupold. I have two 4.5-14x50's, a 3.510x40 M1, a 6.5-20x50, and an 8.5-25x50. They are all great performers and well worth the extra $$ over the 1" tube models. I only have two 1" tube scopes left as I have swapped them all out for LR leupolds and NightForce 30MM tube models.

Ok so which is better a 1" or 30mm tube on a same power scope?
confused.gif

texas--
If weight is not a concern, and it isn't to most of the guys on this site, the 30mm tube is better for several reasons. First, and most important, is the amount of available internal adjustment. The 30mm tube is larger and allows a larger internal adjustment range. However, as the power range goes up, the amount of internal adjustment diminishes. For example,the 8-32x Nightforce BR Model has 50 MOA of internal adjustment, whereas the 12-42x model only has 40 MOA. Second, and often debated, is the idea that the 30mm tube is capable of transmitting more light to the eye , especially in low light conditions. Third, the inherent strength of the larger tube is a considerarion. The 30mm tube is used on all of the high end scopes on the market. Look at NF, Leupold, Zeiss, S&B, Swarovski, US Optics, etc. USO even uses 34mm tubes on some of theirs. Hope this bit of info helps... CJ

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

CJ I've never been real good with math thats why I had a son
rolleyes.gif
. I thought that a 1" tube was larger and better but, I guess I was wrong.

Ian M...

I have been thinking of getting a Burris Black Diamond 8x32 for about 6 months, and haven't found a single person that owned one... until NOW
wink.gif

What do you think of it... is it as good (optically, and machanically) as the Nightforces, Nikon 6.5x20 and other GOOD scopes... and would you get it again.
Are the turret calibrations easy to read, or as confusing as the B&L 6x24 (HA! none worse!!).

On the 1/8th vs 1/4 moa adjustments... remember that most 1" tube scopes have 40 to 45 moa of elevation, so the Nikon 6.5x20 gives up nothing to use the 1/8th adjustments, and I prefer it way over the Leupold 6.5x20 (I have both)... and the Nikon is a better optic.

How much total elevation is available, is just one of the optical compromises that scope companies make... you can have 1/8th. 1/4, 1/2, or 1 moa adjustments in a 1" tube... it really depends on how long the erector cell is, where the contact poites are, and the thread pitch... nothing else.

The reason the B&L 6x24 only has 26 moa, is that B&L restricted the total travel for enginerring reasons... if the stops were removed, it would have about 40 moa.

CatShooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.