Am I making a mistake?

Interesting comments about the glass. Zeiss glass is about the best you can get, in fact they provide the glass for a lot of other manufacturers. I'd be interested to know if everything thing else is apples to apples on your comparisons, objective sizes, etc. I know the new V4's are coming out with actual locking windage turrets and they aren't capped. As far as illumination goes, I find it's really nice in low light when the power's all the way down on a FFP scope. As of yet Zeiss still doesn't offer that option. If I were a SFP guy, and the funds were there, I'd opt for the V6, if nothing else, for the adjustment range. (And the glass) V4 is still a great option!

If this rifle is for hunting then 6x magnification on the low end is a lot.
It is for a hunting rifle but I currently have a 6x minimum on my hunting rifle and never minded it. I hunt pretty big country. If I am hunting right woods I generally have my bow in hand

I've seen a lot of people seeming to like the 3-18 a lot more. I don't thing the travel will be a factor for me as I think with the 20 moa rail the 5-30 will get me plenty far out there. And the 3-18 is probably a better power for hunting but wouldn't mind the extra power for plinking steel..been planning on the 5-30 but now I'm wondering if I should get the lower powered version

I have the 3-18 and it is a really good scope and magnification range for any medium/large game animal. I feel any greater magnification may cause the hunter to lose the animal in the scope since the field of view is greatly diminished. The only negative for me is the reticle is just a bit too thick for my liking since I feel better with a reticle such as MOART or TMOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.