Am I making a mistake?

Jakeweb09

I am receiving a new build and in a couple weeks and getting ready to order the scope, I have been pretty set on the Zeiss v6 5-30 but am considering buying a v4 6-24 just to save some money..I already have a v4 in another rifle and like it quite a bit but being my first custom I thought I might step it up in quality a bit. Do you think I'd regret another v4 on this one?

If you are happy with the v4 and want or need to save some money its something you know you will be happy with. Can always upgrade to the v6 later and swap the v4 onto something else. Nice scopes rarely sit around too long.

I have a different take. Go with the v4. You know you like it. But then you are always going to wonder if the v6 would have been better? So you will have to do another build and try the v6. So more toys (rifles and scopes). Win/ win. Good luck and be safe.

The only thing that stopped me from considering the V6 for my hunting rifle was uncovered non-locking windage knob. Those have bitten me in the past in hunting situations, I'm sure the scope is a fine performer though.

How much elevation travel do you need? The V6 your looking at has about 60 and the comparable V4 has 80. The V6 3-18 has 100. I have a V4 and would go V6 given the option.

Great scope !!! As is the Swarovski and higher end Leupolds. These scopes are "lighter" weight than the Nightforce's.

Must haves are
SOLID Zero Lock
Crisp tactile "clicks"

I agree with most of the gents here. Buy the scope you want and don't settle for something less unless you absolutely have to. You will regret the decision. Optics are such an important part of the equation to shooting accurately and consistently. Good Luck with the new rifle and scope.

I don't know what the old V4 was like. I wanted a Zeiss for awhile and with the current promo I finally got one. It is the V4 6x24x50 with capped windage and exposed elevation. I feel like I paid for the features because the glass is not what I expected and mine is hard to keep focused. I have multiple Sightron SIII and Vortex gen 1 and 2 vipers. The glass does not compare to the Sightron SIII or the Vortex Gen 2. I am disappointed because I though Zeiss would blow them all away with clarity. I don't know why but after taking a shot or 2 I have to refocus the scope to get it clear and it is a really small window where the target and the reticle are clear. As far as light gathering again Vortex and Sightron I can see clearly longer into the night.

The good things are the zero stop its solid and easy to use. Tracking is on so far only about 200rds on the scope but dialing a good bit. The Zeiss Rings are nice but way over priced if you don't get them for free. One of the things I did notice was the scope does not whitewash the reticle when you are looking into the sun. So the coatings must be good.

So I would say go V6 if you can afford it.

I saw the illumination mentioned I have it on a couple scopes and have never used it. The better scopes have always had enough light I did not need it. The V4 has a very good illumination. its bright even in the sun.

I agree, I was disappointed going from the HD5 to the V4 glass. Not the same at all. Part of my recommendation for the V6. There are a few other post on this subject.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.