How's Norma Brass?

I have 100 pieces of Norma 300 Win Mag on the way. Does anyone feel that they are also superior to lower priced brass in the areas of uniform neck wall thickness and concentricity?

From my extensive search into NORMA brass you should be way ahead of the cheaper brands of brass.

good thing this thread popped up as i just got a bag for me 7mm rem mag .

it has a not so good rep here in oz but it is all i can get ATM .

any way i just gaged 10 necks and so far not to bad as they are around

14 to 15.5 thou in wall thickness so within .0015 so pretty good .

i will load some and go shoot'em on the next good day we have .

cheers D

I prefer Norma above Lapua for one reason that the case wall are not so thick as Lapua. Especially in small calibre's like the .222Rem it makes a difference to get all the powder in the case.

Opinions differ but I am also down here in Oz , and have been using Norma brass since the '70's and continue to do so. Just bought 200 cases for a .220 Swift ready to fire form to AI, beautiful.
I have used Norma cases for 25/06, .270, 9.3 x62 and .220 Swift AI.
I use Lapua in my .308 Palma gun and .260Rem hunting rifle.
I bought 50 Nosler .308 cases to try them out , they are sitting in the back of the loading bench waiting to go to the scrap metal buyer along with the Remingtons.
Both the Nosler and Rems had loose pockets after 3 firings. The Rems also had dinged necks and dents in the body and a couple of cases had swarf inside the case.
CHECK THE INSIDE OF NEW CASES ALWAYS , even the good stuff.

I still wish Winchester made brass like the ''old stuff'' the ones in white boxes with Red Rider , marked Winchester Western.
RWS was good to but I don't think RWS still does unprimed cases anymore only factory loaded ammo. Sako brass I hear is good but have not tried it mainly because I have all the Lapua and Norma I need.

Mike.

Does anyone have problems seating the primers because the primer pocket is so tight?

I use the Lee handprimer and the primer pockets were so tight I couldn't do it.
Do you have to use a uniformer before you prime them? I haven't had to with Rem, Win, etc brass before.

Does anyone have problems seating the primers because the primer pocket is so tight?

Do you have to use a uniformer before you prime them? I haven't had to with Rem, Win, etc brass before.

nope i used a RCBS hand primer and no probs there a better unit

Re: How's Norma 300 WinMag case head strength?

Can anyone speaking from firsthand experience, provide comments on the case head strength of Norma 300 Win Mag brass to the Lapua 300 WinMag or RWS WinMag brass? Lapua and RWS brass withstand high pressure loads without losing cases quickly to primer pocket expansion. How's the Norma 300 WinMag brass compare? I'm looking for input solely on the 300 Winchester Magnum cases.

Re: How's Norma 300 WinMag case head strength?

Can anyone speaking from firsthand experience, provide comments on the case head strength of Norma 300 Win Mag brass to the Lapua 300 WinMag or RWS WinMag brass? Lapua and RWS brass withstand high pressure loads without losing cases quickly to primer pocket expansion. How's the Norma 300 WinMag brass compare? I'm looking for input solely on the 300 Winchester Magnum cases.

Lapua 300 win brass was made under contract by Norma. I don't know if the Norma stuff with the Lapua headstamp has exactly the same specs or not. Unfortunately Lapua has stayed away from making belted cases.

Yes, I had to use my Forster primer, no other (RCBS and Lee)would seat them. They eventually loosened up a bit.

Federal 215M primers are showing small indentations on them. I have heard they are softer metal than say CCIs.

Did you notice different primers were easier to seat than others?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.