Norma Brass

WHITEBULL

I am looking for some brass for my .270 WSM and I saw Brownells has some Norma brass available, but they are $1.71 a piece. I have used Lapua brass for other calibers and have good luck, but they were not near the price of the Norma brass. How many reloads can I expect from this brass? Nosler also makes them and they are over $2.00 each. I can buy loaded ammo for less, like Winchester, Federal, Remington, but if I can get many more reloads form the Norma or Nosler, I can see why it would be a worthwhile investment.

I am looking for some brass for my .270 WSM and I saw Brownells has some Norma brass available, but they are $1.71 a piece. I have used Lapua brass for other calibers and have good luck, but they were not near the price of the Norma brass. How many reloads can I expect from this brass? Nosler also makes them and they are over $2.00 each. I can buy loaded ammo for less, like Winchester, Federal, Remington, but if I can get many more reloads form the Norma or Nosler, I can see why it would be a worthwhile investment.
I have heard that Nosler uses Norma brass with their headstamp. If this is the case then it would be better to buy Norma. I have been shooting Norma brass in an old 7.7mm Arisaka for years with an awful lot of reloads on the brass with no issue. This brass is very old and has stood up well but the pressures you will have are far higher than mine. To give you an Idea of how old this brass is, the price for 20 pieces was $4.50 in the late 60's. Talk about longevity!

Best brass I have found for 270 WSM, consistent weight, proper flash holes, blows the junk Winchester is putting out away. I am at four loads on the 270 with no issues. Some people complain it's soft, I have 8 loads in Norma 338-378 Weatherby with no issues. Some of the best brass on the market, worth it for a hunting situation.

I use Norma in my 300WM and 260. It is excellent brass and I get 10+ reloads. Primer pockets tend to be very tight so I use my coaxial Forster primer seating tool. They do not loosen up though.

I've used Norma in 3 different calibers. The 270 WSM brass is thicker and softer than Winchester and Remington brass. It is very consistent though. You'll have to reduce your loads just a little because of reduced case capacity with the thicker brass. My 300 WM and 338-378 Norma brass is different. Harder and not as thick, but still really consistent in the neck.

I'm using Remington brass in my WSM with good results but it's now impossible to find. I bought some Federal 150 grain Fusion ammo that I plan to shoot and reload the brass. I wish Remington had a good 150 grain factory offering though. I like their brass but don't want to fling a bunch of 130 grain barrel-burners just to get it.

I have downloaded this test on cases below, but have lost the website it was downloaded from. So my apologies for this. Nevertheless this confirms that you cannot go wrong with Norma:

Attachments

• Case Endurance Test.jpg
    Case Endurance Test.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Case Endurance Test01.jpg
    Case Endurance Test01.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 53
I have downloaded this test on cases below, but have lost the website it was downloaded from. So my apologies for this. Nevertheless this confirms that you cannot go wrong with Norma:

That's interesting that Lapua only lasted 15 reloads.

Thanks for posting this though. Super interesting.

Any quality investment is worthwhile and in my opinion (from practical experience in building loads for customers and myself), Norma brass, Lapua Brass and Nosler Brass (in that order, rank heads above anything else currently available in bottleneck brass.

Far as potential reloads are concerned, that will all depend on powder load and sizing regimen, IOW, how you 'treat' the brass will impact directly on the number of reloads before annealing or case failure (head seperation / neck cracking.

The is no set in stone number of reloads before case failure, that depends entirely on you.....

I will say that the more you work the brass, especially in the neck area, the shorter the case life is. Belted magnums excepted.

Having said that, I have no expander balls on any of my bushing dies and never have, but thats personal preference only.

Your mileage may vary from mine but I get excellent mileage from my brass, all the time.

Great Chart Reloader222, I'm sure results will differ for some but I fine that Norma holds up the best. There is this misconception that Lapua is the "end all" brass even some smiths touting their wildcat over say a Weatherby (Norma brass) cartridge because the Lapua brass is so much better the start with. All gimmickry! Lapua is great clean stuff for sure but not any better. Please let us know how far you get with the 270.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts