Howa mini actions?

55stone

Good afternoon guys, do you guys that own or have owned howa mini actions like them? I'm looking to buy a .223 caliber bolt gun and was considering buying a howa mini. Use will just be target practice at 100-600 yards, maybe some predator hunting. I am also considering buying a Tikka in .223 as I have a Tikka and love it. The gun store could not find any Tikka .223 in stock so I would have to find someone with one and have it transferred if I went that route so that's half the reason I'm debating the howa mini. Brownells has barreled howa mini actions on sale for just under 400 bucks right now..

I have and like both tikka and howa's. I really like the mini. It's compact and everyone I've had my hands on shoots well. I would opt for the heavy barrel one myself. I have one with a small pencil barrel 223 and a heavy barrel. I think the heavy has a bit more of balanced feel when shooting off hand, but that's me.

Thank you ugly dog that was the kind of info I was looking for.. would you say you like the howa as much as your tikkas? I know different calibers and stuff so not a apples to apples comparison but just wondering.. what kind of stocks do you have your howas in?

I have the carbon stocked ultra light model in 6.5 grendel. I love carrying the gun, but it's so light I think it will be hard to shoot past 2-300. Rifle weighs in at under 5lbs before scope. Shot right at MOA but I only had one type of factory ammo to try before season opened on me.

I have the carbon stocked ultra light model in 6.5 grendel. I love carrying the gun, but it's so light I think it will be hard to shoot past 2-300. Rifle weighs in at under 5lbs before scope. Shot right at MOA but I only had one type of factory ammo to try before season opened on me.
If you handload... the 90 TNT and Varmegaddon are accurate and quick for small game and the older 100 grain Partitions and Ballistic tip do well for deer.
I've shot 120-123 grain and the velocity starts dropping.

I really like both. I carry the mini when I'm calling it's compact and light. The Howa mini is much smaller and lighter than the tikka short action. I have a factory stock and a Boyd's on my howa's. Looking into Bell and Carlson or Oregon gunsmithing for my next stock if I rebarrel one.
It's hard to compare then since they are so different, I'd say one of each for me.. ; )))))

Howa mini to tikka is apples to oranges. The Tikka action only comes in one size regardless of chambering (223-300 wm use same action). I do like my tikkas and have quite a few none of them are in 223. I prefer an action better matched to its chambering. Nothing wrong with howa other than the mag release location (on factory stocked guns) is poorly designed and the mag release is inadvertently pressed all the time dropping the mag out.

I have the Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel with 20" heavy barrel that shoots very well also.
The factory Hogue stock is a bit heavy but I saw a new carbon from Stocky's that looks interesting.
It's quite a handy rifle and a dream to shoot with a suppressor.
Same, have the same gun. Mini actions are really neat. Shoots great! Check out you tube vid on how to lighten the trigger. Got mine to just under two pounds.

Anyone here ever compared the Howa mini to the old Mauser mini? I've wondered if the mauser is worth the cost increase......detachable mag aside just the feel and quality.

If you handload... the 90 TNT and Varmegaddon are accurate and quick for small game and the older 100 grain Partitions and Ballistic tip do well for deer.
I've shot 120-123 grain and the velocity starts dropping.
Thanks for the info. I intend to load the 85g hammers. Was told I should be able to reach or exceed 3000 fps with those.

Anyone here ever compared the Howa mini to the old Mauser mini? I've wondered if the mauser is worth the cost increase......detachable mag aside just the feel and quality.
Yes, I had my first interarms mini in 223 pencil barrel about 30 years ago and took a couple truckloads of coyotes and fox with it. I foolishly sold it to a friend that just had to have it. He traded it without telling me
Ugh.
This is why I got so excited about the how when it came out