Howa mini actions?

The nicest Mini Mauser that I've ever seen was an Interarms Mark X Mini.
The Howa Mini is quite nice when it's in a decent stock and has the JO bottom metal.

Ha, my brother in law loves his but with even more caveats. He replaced the stock, the barrel, the bottom metal and trigger... says its hist best rifle. I'll never doubt that, but have found most rifles with new triggers, quality barrels in a good stock with a quality bottom metal score high marks...

Ha, my brother in law loves his but with even more caveats. He replaced the stock, the barrel, the bottom metal and trigger... says its hist best rifle. I'll never doubt that, but have found most rifles with new triggers, quality barrels in a good stock with a quality bottom metal score high marks...
Manufacturers trying to hit those price points have to cut corners somewhere.
Tupperware stocks and other plastic parts for example.
And then there's the design issues.
That funky trigger guard and the magazine of the CZ527 for another example.

My re-barreled 1500 Mini in .224 Valkyrie has a Timney in it, in a LSS Gen 2 chassis. I've not found anything that it likes and I've debated turning it into a .22 PPC. Not the fault of the action.

My 7.62x39 has an OEM barrel, stock trigger, in a Boyd's stock that I've lightened considerably. That rifle is intrinsically accurate, which is to say that it knows what you're aiming at and helps you out. Yeah, I know it's an inanimate machine, but after you shoot it you'll know what I mean.

Last edited:
I sold five CZ 527's all in different calibers. There are none I miss nor want back. They all shot ok.
At that time I could buy two Minis for the cost of one 527, and I did. The only mini I had issues with was a 223 pencil barrel, vertical stringing I could not tolerate for a varmint rifle. The barrel was put on by a gorilla, had to do a relief cut to get it to turn loose. It now has a 22Nosler barrel on it and I use 6.5G magazines.
Yes I put all of them in a different stock or chassis. They operate so much smoother than a CZ, and are just as accurate for the most part.
If Howa would step up and make a premiere model with a metal floor plate, better stock and higher quality mag they would sell.
My 6.5G rig weighs right at 6lbs if I recall correctly. A handy rig.