Howa mini actions?

The 22" sporter has 1/2x28 threads and the heavy 20" has 5/8x24…right?

Both have 1/2"-28 threads

EFA3ED12-770F-4F7B-B172-A7E9CC404A72.jpeg

When I bought my first Grendel no CZs were available. Bought a howa with the thin barrel. It shot well ,but not as well as the heavy barrel. Sold the thin barrel one when I got the CZ. Howa will outshoot the CZ with SSTs but with hammers the CZ is bug hole shooter. Also put a Boyd's AT1 stock on the heavy barrel, that improved the accuracy.

20" heavy barreled action is in stock in Grendel

The first 6.5 Grendel I bought was a Howa Mini with a 20" HB and ⅝ x 24 barrel threads. My smith removed the plastic stock & installed a laminated Boyds stock, DIP bottom metal & Gunbloke 2 lb. trigger spring. Than he glass bedded the rifle and smoothed out the trigger and safety mechanism. The laminated stock made the rifle a tad too heavy but it now balances better with a suppressor attached. Than I bought an unthreaded .223 HB Howa Mini off GB for $325 (pre covid), the only change made to this rifle was Gunbloke 2 lb. trigger spring. Both rifles function well and regularly shoot under 1 MOA. I am not to crazy about the magazines, they seem kinda cheap however, they do seem to work. The factory bottom "metal" is cheesy plastic which will crack if you tighten the screws to the factory specs. Howa's CS was great to deal with and they sent new bottom "metal" with a warning to tightened them to some lesser torque value (which I can't remember). All in all Howa Minis are great little actions, appropriately sized for .223 length cartridges, you can't go wrong buying a Mini, they are easy to work on, relatively inexpensive and easy to customize. Since I do not own a Tikka I can't give you any feedback on that particular rifle manufacturer. Though I can however tell you of the dangers of buying a CZ Mini…you can't own just one! 🙂

PlumberEd

I got a Howa mini in 6.5 Grendel and fitted a tight twist IBI heavy barrel with 6mmPPC chamber, a Gunbloke 2 lb. trigger spring and a bit of sear polishing, plus the MDT chassis stock. Threw together a "run-in load" to fire-form the brass ,from 220 Russian, and brake-in the barrel using Hornady 103 grain ELD-X and.........wait for it..................it shot 1/2 inch groups from the first shot! Imagine what it will shoot with fully prepped brass and load development. It even shot just as well with some old speer 75 grain hollow points [with a different powder] that somebody gave me decades ago. This is simply not possible for an action with even the slightest flaws, and it was not "trued" or modified at all, just head-spaced and shoot.

I have the 22" 223, it's not as thin as you would think. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the sporter contour again.

I also have the 20" 6.5 Grendel, it's not as heavy as you would be led to believe either.

You won't be disappointed with the 22" threaded, if you are worried, have it chopped and threaded or screw on a prefit later.
I don't know Darryle. My mini 6.5G is heavy for what it is. I'd like for it to lose at least 2#.

635A932D-04DD-47BE-A69A-27C4082D8593.jpeg

Don't get me wrong it's ridiculously accurate with Hornady Black 123 ELDM but to me it's heavy.