How well does it penitrate and expand?

10point

Matrix 165 gr bullet in a 270 WSM. Going cow elk hunting late January 2013. I have no experience with the Matrix bullet but wanted a heavier bullet for the elk. I am getting 3065 ft/sec with 1/2 MOA in a 28" barrel.

Do you happen to be bigngreen's twin? LOL, he shoots the 165 grain matrix out of his 270 WSM and loves its performance!! You might want to send him a PM if he doesnt chime in.

They function much like the Berger, I'm running mine right now at 3060fps. I shoot elk behind the shoulder 99% of the time and at close range under 500 yards or so they go in then slow blow and may or may not exit, sometimes you'll see where bullet chunks bounced of the off side but everything inside will be a mess! Once you get out beyond that they start exiting more and more. By 900 yards I get 100% exits even on shoulder hits, they make a hole through them like you shoved a meat grinder through them. They are extremely effective on elk!! I've only seen one deer hold a 165 Matrix!!

Thanks for the reply. I was even considering the Woodleigh 180 gr. but now the matrix is my bullet. I will send pictures and hope to recover the bullet after my elk hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.