How to build a reloading bench your wife won't mind having in the house

jonthomps

Last June I came up with an idea. I needed a nice-looking, efficient workspace for reloading and working on AR's. I also need some place to put my guns. I don't have many, but the ones I do have are nice! It just so happens my dad, Stuart, is the general manager of Cabparts, a cabinet shop in Grand Junction, Colorado where I grew up. They specialize in custom European cabinets and components. Thinking he might be able to help, I gave him a call and told him about my ideas and what I was wanting. As all good dads' do, he was ready and willing to help and so we drew up plans for my reloading bench. A few phone calls, some measuring, and a month later in late July dad & mom drove from GJ, Colorado to Kansas City, Missouri with my package flat-packed in pieces on a pallet in the bed of their truck. What follows is a photo journal from start to finish of the project.

Side Note: Kansas City in July is one of those rare treats in life everyone needs to experience. By that I mean it's miserable. As in REALLY hot and REALLY humid miserable. Think Vietnam jungle hot. Don't come. That being said, some of the beginning photos are a little fuzzy due to the severe humidity (90%), sorry.

As my dad put it, "It's not quite hell, but you can see it from here." I always admired his eloquent way with words.

There were a few hiccups along the way but all in all it turned out quite nice. Oh, midway through the project we had a few (very) young admirers wander through the neighbor's backyard – I've included a few photos of them as well. Enjoy!

http://reloadingbench.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Jon

Very nice!! Your Dad is a true Craftsman!!!

Yea, I keep my rifles and things out of site. If the wife ever ask about one of them I tell her "I got that right after we were married, you've shot it several times over the years." She's starting to catch on!!

That is sweet and much neater than mine...........This thread reminds me how lucky I am with three reloading benches in the living room and a wife that says. Think you need another one? Can we afford it? Then why don't you just go get it? Angel in disguise. Thanks for the reminder.

That is awesome and may have just provided the inspiration I needed to come up with an in house reloading/gun working set up

Great! Glad I could help inspire you! Dad even went a little crazy and provided me w/ soft-close hinges for the doors (coolest freakin' thing ever)! Actually, give him a call and tell him what your looking for. I'm sure he'd make whatever you want.

Jon,

That's a very nice and neat set up. My Dad owned some guns but really never into shooting or hunting ... but sure miss him very much.

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your time with your Dad. Cheers!

Ed

That is nice and compact. I get a kick out of you 'young'ins'.......

When you get to be my age, you try (in vain) to grow some hair on your head..... and at your age, you cut it off........:D

I see the lower cabinets have wheels but the press is fastened to a shelf. Is the shelf physically attached to the wall? Presses move around, depending on how much effort you exert in resizing. Hopefully, it's firmly attached.......

I believe I'd add something smooth below. Dropping components like priners or small parts on carpeting can be a PITA and we all drop stuff, ocassionally.....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.