How old are these cans of powder?

All you people knowledgeable about old powder….what would h570 be good for? I know it's pretty dang slow. If upon opening it there's no indication anything's wrong I do plan to use it tho! Either that or fertilizer for my hot peppers. Ooooh!! Maybe scorpion peppers fueled by gunpowder will be hotter/made with more hate! 🤣

Be careful of the one with the writing on it if you were hoping to use it. It might not be what the can states. Really cool cans otherwise.
I have low confidence in the powders being the same as what is listed, however, my grandpa owned 1 centerfire rifle, a .243 in a pre 64 Model 70, and 1 set of reloading dies, .243 Win. Taking this into consideration, it's relatively safe to assume that this is a medium burn rate powder. I'll load up a very light ladder in my 35 WAI and see where it puts me. I'm anticipating it to be too slow burning for 200gr bullets, but I'm already making a number of assumptions

1935 on up through the 40's at least. Improved rifle powder came about at the end of WW1 and went up to WWll. That can and powder started 1935. Other powders in that can were earlier and later depending on the year the powder was introduced..

I can't seem to find any info on Dupont IMR can designs over the years. I found these in my late grandpa's basement, no clue if it's even the original powder inside. Just curious about age. I've verified that the primers work already.
I would guess early 60s. I would be Leary of the can with 4831 written on it. That to was a popular powder for a 243 and it was sold in bulk at many gun stores in paper bags. Your granddad might have poured it in the empty 4320 can for safe keeping.

This post actually makes me a bit sad. I too have been loading since the late 60's. I used to have a bunch of old containers I kept for no particular reason other than they were neat to look at.
A few years ago I needed more room in my powder storage cabinets and threw away a bunch of containers🤬. I had several older style containers. The "waxed?" rectangular cardboard cans, some square short fat "cans", round cardboard containers, and my last true 8 lb "keg" of shotgun powder. It was a round cannister of thick pressed waxed cardboard with a removable lid. Inside was a very heavy "plastic" bag with a twist tie to seal the bag shut.
I still have a few more modern cans/containers which present day grasshoppers may have not seen. Enjoy!
Wish I hadn't cleaned house now....

Attachments

• 20230402_063618.jpg
    20230402_063618.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
This post actually makes me a bit sad. I too have been loading since the late 60's. I used to have a bunch of old containers I kept for no particular reason other than they were neat to look at.
A few years ago I needed more room in my powder storage cabinets and threw away a bunch of containers🤬. I had several older style containers. The "waxed?" rectangular cardboard cans, some square short fat "cans", round cardboard containers, and my last true 8 lb "keg" of shotgun powder. It was a round cannister of thick pressed waxed cardboard with a removable lid. Inside was a very heavy "plastic" bag with a twist tie to seal the bag shut.
I still have a few more modern cans/containers which present day grasshoppers may have not seen. Enjoy!
Wish I hadn't cleaned house now....
Do any of them cans have powder in them ? Have you thought about trying it, to see how well it would shoot ? I have some of them & a few others. Hercules 2400 in the square 1 lb can. unopened top. I have opened a few of the Win. The powder looks good. No funny smells. I am going to try some.

Do any of them cans have powder in them ? Have you thought about trying it, to see how well it would shoot ? I have some of them & a few others. Hercules 2400 in the square 1 lb can. unopened top. I have opened a few of the Win. The powder looks good. No funny smells. I am going to try some.
All of them have some or a lot of powder in them - that's why I kept them. The HS 6 and Bullseye worked fine when last used. They've all been stored in a controlled environment. Also got a brick or 2 of old CCI rifle primers. Still work just fine!