Old Powder

45steve

I have some RL-15 that's about 8 years old. Did a ladder test. I should have had velocity from about 2800-3000 fps
I had 2674-2867fps Model 7 300 SAUM 168 gr Bergers VLD
I had 2 rounds I loaded years ago and got 2950 & 2970 but I don't know what the formula was.

I also shot my 1911. I had loaded some 230 gr with 5.9 of Unique that's also 8 years old. I had velocity of 625 when the manual said I should be getting 800-850.
I've reloaded for 30 years and never had this problem. Of course, I've never used 8-year-old powder before.
TIME TO BUY NEW POWDER?

I shot a gallon jar of 4831 that was bought in 1964 for 50 cents a lb he bought 50 lbs of it at one time just rework your load a little at a time till you see pressure signs see where that get you on your velocities and shoot it was always told powder that finally degraded will have a brown substance in it don't know for sure never seen it I shot the jar up in my 270 and 6 mm in the 80s and early 90s without a problem. David

I have some RL-15 that's about 8 years old. Did a ladder test. I should have had velocity from about 2800-3000 fps
I had 2674-2867fps Model 7 300 SAUM 168 gr Bergers VLD
I had 2 rounds I loaded years ago and got 2950 & 2970 but I don't know what the formula was.

I also shot my 1911. I had loaded some 230 gr with 5.9 of Unique that's also 8 years old. I had velocity of 625 when the manual said I should be getting 800-850.
I've reloaded for 30 years and never had this problem. Of course, I've never used 8-year-old powder before.
TIME TO BUY NEW POWDER?

I have shot many old powders (15 to 20+ years old), and I have not had problems. There might be other issues like the chrono.

I remember taking a 22-250 to the range to test loads, and couldn't finish the tests when the range closed - so I continued the next day and the first string (0.5 grs heavier load) was 150-ish slower, as were all the other loads... the chorno lighting was different.

It depends on how it ws stored. If it was in a damp place, you now have lawn fertilizer. If dry and the granules have a brown or odd appearance, it may not be good.

I have powder that was pulled down from 1960s military 30-06 ammo, IMR 4895, and it shoots with in range of what different lot numbers of new powder does which is pretty close numbers. I also have other powders that are at least 10 to 15 years old and have no problems. Mine has been stored properly. Mainly in an old non running refrigerator with a small light bulb from a night light, I think 4 or 5 watts, burning in side of it to displace any moisture that would happen to get in. Temperature stays between 64 and 74 year round. If your powder has been stored properly I would suspect something was up with your chrno or set up.

Scale was off. Recalibrated and I'm good. Thanks for the help!!
I have two scales (a beam and balance and a digital) and regularly check them against each other. I also toss a check weight on once in a while to make sure they aren't both lying. Even a bullet is a good enough check weight to watch scale creep.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.