How often do you clean your barrel?

How often do you clean your barrel?

• Total voters
Clean after every shooting session with exception of fouling (3) before a hunt. Working on 2 new barrels right now with less than 100 each down the tube, 20 rounds at a session or less = complete clean with nitro and copper solvents. To each there own but it is almost therapeutic to me.

Clean after every shooting session with exception of fouling (3) before a hunt. Working on 2 new barrels right now with less than 100 each down the tube, 20 rounds at a session or less = complete clean with nitro and copper solvents. To each there own but it is almost therapeutic to me.

Factory barrels or custom?

Factory barrels or custom?

Both factory Remington

1. 783 in 7mm mag shooting 168 LRAB .212" @ 100 yards
2. Remington SPS Take off Barrel 7mm STW on an old 700 action 160 gr. Nosler accubond .287 @ 100.

I have shot 200 yard groups with the STW that are still well under an inch, will do the same with the 7 mag soon and continue to stretch the distance to see where she goes.

Both factory Remington

1. 783 in 7mm mag shooting 168 LRAB .212" @ 100 yards
2. Remington SPS Take off Barrel 7mm STW on an old 700 action 160 gr. Nosler accubond .287 @ 100.

I have shot 200 yard groups with the STW that are still well under an inch, will do the same with the 7 mag soon and continue to stretch the distance to see where she goes.

That is Nice!!!!

I let my gun tell me when it wants to be cleaned:D When my groups open up thats when i clean it! Example, my custom 223 likes 300 rds. My 308 and 284 shehane like 200 rds. my 338 lapua 100 rds.

It depends on the specific rifle and how long it will shoot to POA without accuracy, or velocity/ES changes. I like my hunting rifles to hold for at least 100 rounds, my competition rifles, 200. Unless subjected to rain, etc., I will leave my hunting rifles alone throughout a season if it's under the round count. My competition rifles are general cleaned every 200 rounds or so. If the rifle is to be hung up for more than a month or two, I will clean and lube it.

I just put a new lilja on a gun and they recommend cleaning every 20 rounds and i thought that was excessive. Just shooting a local match is 60 rnds. I figured id poll this forum and see how often you guys cleaned. I personally dont want to clean inside 100 rounds if its not necessary. Knowing so many of you have no problems running up a round count helps my confidence doing the same.

I clean when accuracy sluffs off. In my 243 that's around 800 rounds. In my 300wm its closer to 150. Your gun will tell you when it needs it

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.